5,604,122 Members 48,334 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Alternative honeycomb launcher

Tip us?

Cor-master
Old
(Last edited by Cor-master; 16th April 2012 at 10:53 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 505
I agree with that. Coming from Cyanogenmod on my Captivate, to my new HTC Vivid, I've stuck with the sense launcher because I like having shortcuts on my lockscreen, and the dock bar on the sense launcher determines the lockscreen shortcuts. If I switch to another launcher, I loose that functionality. I will say on my Vivid, I am a little mixed on sense. It's a skin on top of an OS that looks beautiful in its vanilla form! I had vanilla ICS on my captivate for a brief time, it is beautiful on its own. Sense 3.6's goal is to make everyone who doesn't care about software updates feel right at home on ICS. Inotherwords it makes ICS look like gingerbread, and thats not a good thing. And they somehow managed to completly overlook the new "Widgets in the App Drawer", as well as drag and drop widgets all together on sense 3.6.

Of cousre you know when it comes to the flyer I agree with you right? I'm talking phones that I like sense on. The flyer's Sense 1.1 for tablets is a half assed port of sense 3.0. Other than the cool widgets I find it to be pure rubbish. And the ring lockscreen is fine on a phone, but more of hinderence on a tablet, really overall do you really need a lockscreen on a tablet? I'd rather just shut it off, its not like I'm going to be sticking the flyer in my pocket.

Cor-master
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 505
I spent a good chunk of my evening trying out launchers and trying to get unsupported ics launchers working and my conclusion is honeycomb just blows. It shouldn't even be called 3.0 it should be called ics beta or android 1.0 for tablets. No developer interest... I mean really how hard would it be for apex to run on it? But no one cares about the handful of android tablets like the flyer that are stuck on Google's throwaway closed source os because most likely if its a tablet people actually own it'll be upgraded to ics eventually anyway. I really hope that an ics update is coming or our own developers can get cm9 running because honeycomb just sucks.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using XDA

DigitalMD
Old
(Last edited by DigitalMD; 23rd April 2012 at 05:46 AM.)
Thanks Meter 579
I would like ICS, just because, but so far, I"m not seeing it bring a whole lot more that HC doesn't have.
When I want a break from Sense, ADW EX, GO Launcher, and others work quite well and already have more polish and features than any of the ICS compatible launchers. I keep a homescreen setup with GO Launcher and use that when I don;t need the stylus or other Sense features.
The one thing I can't replace with any 3rd party widget is the HTC email widget, nothing else is even close.
If you don't like Sense on honeycomb, stop whining about it, just don't use it. Just install one of the other nicely done launchers and you can switch anytime you like even on the stock ROM.
Days of open internet are almost over as the biggies look for more revenue streaming from your wallet..Soon the internet will be a shell of its current self. With the government wanting their taxes and the big ISPs planning to charge extra for access to specific content (like facebook) and throttle your speed.

Cor-master
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 505
I might be too picky I guess but all the phone launchers just don't seem to display right in hc. And the cooler ones just don't show up on the market period.

mcord11758
Old
Thanks Meter 1187
The play store is not the only place one can find applications. Many of the apps that can't be found in play store can be installed and work well

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using xda premium

Cor-master
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 505
Why doesn't apex work? I mean honeycomb and ics look the same so all ics launchers should work but don't. What is so different about honeycomb that ics launchers won't work? I tried to manually install apex and it wouldn't take, and i manually moved it to the system apps folder and it doesn't show up at all.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using XDA Premium HD app

DigitalMD
Old
Thanks Meter 579
There are differences. ICS has some different APIs and support for more things that APEX uses.
Days of open internet are almost over as the biggies look for more revenue streaming from your wallet..Soon the internet will be a shell of its current self. With the government wanting their taxes and the big ISPs planning to charge extra for access to specific content (like facebook) and throttle your speed.

Cor-master
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 505
Well i think i might revert to gingerbread later this week when i get time. Sick of honeycomb lag, bugs and lack of choices for launchers etc. Yeah you can use alot of those phone launchers with honeycomb but they aren't optimized for it and they don't display right. I do like the design of honeycomb better ie virtual buttons, everything being on the right or left of the screen for easy thumb access etc but it literally is like being on an early ics build. Bad place for htc to leave the flyer imo. I'll check out dgs ics build when it matures more but in the meantime I think this tablet might be best with the version of android its was designed to run!

bsoplinger
Old
Thanks Meter 333
I've seen mention that development has stopped for ADW launcher (and the EX version also) and I'm curious. Is this based on anything specific or just that the app hadn't been updated in 6 months since December?

Sent from my PG41200 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

DigitalMD
Old
Thanks Meter 579
If you check around, we, the Fliers, are one of the few devices left on honeycomb. I think all the launch developers have moved on to ICS.