Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,741 Members 47,049 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Why Windows 8 WILL and WONT FAIL.

Tip us?

bearofbabe
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I think win 8 will make a large change in OS

corroded
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I dont know precisely why all the operating systems are trying for convergence so hard. The current state of play is that Windows is defacto for computers, IOS is defacto for tablets and Android is becoming the largest player in the smartphone world, slowly but surely. Three differing systems. It's even affecting Linux, Unity and Gnome3 being obviously designed with tablet considerations... and being visually bloated. The former being the reason I'm transitioning to Debian. There seems to be a lot of redesign for designs sake.

MS have pinned much on Metro... trying to unify WinPhone7, XBox, Tablets and PC... and really are charging blindly down that path. I see a shipping drop for MS if Windows ships with forced Metro... and massive user backlash, of unseen proportions. Having tried to program on the thing... im quite certain its hateful. It might be a content consumption OS but its useless for real work. It could not only be a diaster on the PC but have a knock on effect to products with similar interfaces, putting people off those products.

People expect Windows to just be similar, and I dread to think what support will be like, and the massive amounts of user training that will be required on corporate levels. Getting users to follow any instructions at all is like herding cats. A long and torrid time for IT support awaits, that much is certain. MS don't have the luxury of being on the forefront of design, they need to be simple to transition between.

This has the feeling of Vista, but worse. The technology enthiusiasts aren't overly fussed from what I read, and plenty of them run IT departments. I can't see corporates being on side, and they are losing enthiusiasts... so really they have those poor people who buy a new PC like a few years ago, getting lumped with Vista... they couldn't even force gamers with the delights of DX10. IT budgets are tight, and training isn't cheap. Really poor timing.

All I want is a choice to disable Metro, because Windows 8 would be seriously great otherwise. Unless something drastic is done, its going to fail, and fail hard.
The Following User Says Thank You to corroded For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lovenokia
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzari View Post
Only 1 word : PERFORMANCE

The bootup speed is well.amazing 6s for boot WOW!
Performance well BF3 before < 20FPS now > 50FPS
UI great i got used to it in about 1min
Are you serious about this? damm then i am gonna run win8 full time on my laptop then

dazza9075
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 442

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroded View Post
I dont know precisely why all the operating systems are trying for convergence so hard. The current state of play is that Windows is defacto for computers, IOS is defacto for tablets and Android is becoming the largest player in the smartphone world, slowly but surely. Three differing systems. It's even affecting Linux, Unity and Gnome3 being obviously designed with tablet considerations... and being visually bloated. The former being the reason I'm transitioning to Debian. There seems to be a lot of redesign for designs sake.

MS have pinned much on Metro... trying to unify WinPhone7, XBox, Tablets and PC... and really are charging blindly down that path. I see a shipping drop for MS if Windows ships with forced Metro... and massive user backlash, of unseen proportions. Having tried to program on the thing... im quite certain its hateful. It might be a content consumption OS but its useless for real work. It could not only be a diaster on the PC but have a knock on effect to products with similar interfaces, putting people off those products.

People expect Windows to just be similar, and I dread to think what support will be like, and the massive amounts of user training that will be required on corporate levels. Getting users to follow any instructions at all is like herding cats. A long and torrid time for IT support awaits, that much is certain. MS don't have the luxury of being on the forefront of design, they need to be simple to transition between.

This has the feeling of Vista, but worse. The technology enthiusiasts aren't overly fussed from what I read, and plenty of them run IT departments. I can't see corporates being on side, and they are losing enthiusiasts... so really they have those poor people who buy a new PC like a few years ago, getting lumped with Vista... they couldn't even force gamers with the delights of DX10. IT budgets are tight, and training isn't cheap. Really poor timing.

All I want is a choice to disable Metro, because Windows 8 would be seriously great otherwise. Unless something drastic is done, its going to fail, and fail hard.
I don't think you know what your talking about. What massive user backlash?
the anti MS crew are admittedly much louder in there FUD spreading abilities but they are not the majority, the poll I started on here kind of suggests that.

I also find it interesting when people compare it to vista. because the only issue with vista was that it was a big drain on system resources and was a bit slow, UAC was a bit overwhelming and it wasn't as backward compatible as it should have been.

Now, personally, not a single one of those issues are in any way shape or form anything like the experience I get in windows 8. When people say its vista 2, all they are doing is regurgitating comments heard over the net without any real thought behind it.

Its also funny you are talking about tha failier of Unity an all the other "graphical" displays but what you seem to fail to understand is that power users, are a minority, every day jo blogs are what MS is targeting, and good for them, because power users don't bring them money. Apple is a perfect example of handing out a crap UI (in my mind) to the masses and doing very well with it, why? not because its a tech OS, but because its simple.

Dont underestimate the power of consumers, having a similar OS that is integrated across several platforms will be lapped up by every day jo blogs

a454nova
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 361
I've talked to a few peeps from the 8 dev team. They said they pulled the Win 7 like UI stuff to force the app developers and others to Metro. The options for the Start Menu and making it Desktop friendy will be back in the final. Windows 8 will be everything you hoped for and then some.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2
CHECK OUT S4GRU.COM
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a454nova For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jerome snail
Old
(Last edited by jerome snail; 20th April 2012 at 02:05 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6
SAMSUNG Omnia 7
The Following User Says Thank You to jerome snail For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dazza9075
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 442

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by a454nova View Post
I've talked to a few peeps from the 8 dev team. They said they pulled the Win 7 like UI stuff to force the app developers and others to Metro. The options for the Start Menu and making it Desktop friendy will be back in the final. Windows 8 will be everything you hoped for and then some.

ive heard this too but trying to push back the tidalwave of anti Win8 FUD is almost impossible, simply put they dont want to listen, metro needed testing, not desktop, metro needed development not desktop.

what i find really disapointing is so called professionals slagging WP and win8 off whilst proclaiming everything Linux based is the best. The OS is here to test people! Compertition is good folks, WP had a bad rap not because it wasnt any good but because of the mountain of bad press it got because of what it wasnt, rather than what it was.

I fear win 8 will be the same unless common sense comes back to those vocal few and people ignore the wide spread FUD placed out there

bconover93
Old
Thanks Meter 9

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by a454nova View Post

THANK GOD!!
Start8 is ok and all, but no replacement for the real start menu.
DEVICES:
Samsung Galaxy S III running AOKP 4.2.1
Motorola Backflip running CyanogenMod 7.2 (sitting in drawer)

xxBrun0xx
Old
Thanks Meter 222
I have used window 8 quite a bit and to those who downplay it I respond: try it. It's far better than anything any tablet runs or has ever ran. With the way the laptop market is headed, ms thought ahead and made what will hopefully prove to be a brilliant business move: total convergence. I love Android, but it will never compete with windows.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

saumitra91
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Been using it since the Consumer Preview (?Beta) was released.

One word.

Awesome!