Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,899 Members 49,911 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is it good as a phone?

Tip us?

Idiocity
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Is it good as a phone?

Hello 7+ users. May I know if this tablet would be good to use as a phone instead of a tablet?

I am planning to get a new android device after my current phone contract expires. (Currently using a SGS). So I would like to know if anyone used this tab as a everyday phone. Thanks.

robyr
Old
Thanks Meter 82
I use mine as a VoIP device with GrooveIP, and it works great for this. If I had a P6200 I wouldn't even have a normal phone. My phone has become a mere wifi hotspot.

aeon101
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Default phone...

Using my Tab 7.Plus as a phone every day without any issues. It is really not so big to hold it at my ear. This machine is for me one of the best solutions ever, but definitely waiting for Asus PadFone...:)

Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon101 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Noah321
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I use it as a phone since I'm in college I try not to hold it against my face so I bought some iphone 4 headphones and It works just fine. The grooveip is a very good app that does sometimes drops out and it takes a while to reconnect to Google voice when the data connection drops to a bar or 2. But it's a good app and its a good phone the best is texting its so much better and easier to text. Someone even asked me if this was the ipad 3 it was kind of funny. And good batt life on my opinion.

Sent from my SGH-T869 using XDA Premium App

ps000000
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Yes

bit large in my pant
I can hold it up and talk without smalltalk/BT

The_Double
Old
(Last edited by The_Double; 25th April 2012 at 08:20 PM.)
Thanks Meter 137

DONATE TO ME
Does anyone actually use it as a 3g GSM phone Not VOIP?

I'm planning to buy one for my mom with bad eyesight.
She currently uses a original galaxy tab, but she lost it. Can she use this tab as a big phone as well?

chrisrotolo
Old
Thanks Meter 453

DONATE TO ME
yes, the P6200 inetrnational with 3G will work as a phone.

only real issue you may find is Audio, without using speakerphone audio seems low to me. (maybe Im deaf)

I always use speakerphone and it works fine.

thghost
Old
Thanks Meter 1
ive been using this tab since the day it was first launched. i think since november. i moved onto this from nokia, and till now, havent had a single issue using it as a phone. i pair it up with a bluetooth when im walking about, or else, when at home, use it just i would as any other regular phone. its pretty awesome. it serves me as a phone+tab+and sometimes as my laptop...

i would definitely recommend buying it, especially if u dont like carrying too many devices around. a simple and neat replacement for 3 devices.

[David]
Old
Thanks Meter 64
I use my P6200 just as a phone (about 2hr/day in calling) and the only "issue" may be people around you who smile or just stare at you asking if I'm kidding or that's just a "big" phone instead of a normal one

I like people who stare at me, and that's really funny 'cuz once they just smile seeing me talking with my Galaxy Note...now they just stuck into a strange face when I hold my P6200 on my ears

I love it and I didn't ever bought the old Tab 7 just 'cuz it has no speaker... I desired to talk with an unusual phone leaned on my ear

Sent from my Galaxy Note with DarkyROM 3.3
Galaxy Note N7000 : CM10 Anti`s Builds
Motorola Xoom MZ601 : Team EOS builds and kernels
Galaxy Tab Plus P6200 : Finally stock with the Samsung JB release

Noah321
Old
Thanks Meter 0
What app was you using groove ip?

Sent from my SGH-T869 using XDA Premium App

XDA PORTAL POSTS

TWRP Now Available for the LG G Watch and Samsung Gear Live

Over the past week or so, we’ve talkedquite a bit about the first … more

Slate Calendar Helps You Organize Your Life

Without calendars in some form or another, most of our lives would be utter chaos. Unless you are … more

Shane Francis to Talk Android, Robotics, and Vision at XDA:DevCon 2014

Our international xda:devcon 14in Manchester, UK on the weekend of … more

LG G Watch Tool is a Toolkit all Owners Need

The LG G Watch is one of the first two devices hitting the market rocking the highly anticipated … more