Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,798 Members 39,490 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Do I need s-off to flash roms?

Tip us?

Astrikz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 570
Default Do I need s-off to flash roms?

I just unlocked my cousins evo 4g. I was wondering if I need s-off to flash Roms. If so. Can someone give me a link to a tutorial .

kc3
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Well, you need Clockworkmod but you can't install clockworkmod without S-off, my Evo actually has S-on with clockworkmod and I can install roms no problem I don't even know how S turned back on but it did lol... It's really easy to google and find a guide on rooting/turning s-off but regardless here ya go, it's a list of a ton of guides for the Evo and rooting involves turning s-off.
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-...oot-guide.html

Astrikz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 570
I did install clockworkmod while on s-on

Nickitt
Old
Thanks Meter 224

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTzLOLtrain View Post
I just unlocked my cousins evo 4g. I was wondering if I need s-off to flash Roms. If so. Can someone give me a link to a tutorial .
If you are like me, and would rather visually see it happen, go check out the beloved YouTube. There are lots of videos of people showing you exactly how to do it, step by step.

Hit thanks if I turned you in the right direction!

Good Luck!

GrimReaper24
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1089
Unrevoked rev works well to root it if you didn't take the latest OTA Clockwork mod 4.0 works well for it afterwards to flash and wipe.
-XDA MODERATOR-
HERE TO HELP.
Drop me a thanks if you liked the help.

-EViL-KoNCEPTz-
Old
Thanks Meter 3495

DONATE TO ME
If you are s-on (OOW unlocked) on hboot 2.18 u can used fastboot to flash a recovery, you should be using Amon RA on the evo and not cwm or twrp. If you are on hboot 2.15/.16 you need to use revolutionary.io to achieve s-off and gain recovery and the flash SU and SU binaries. Any hboot prior to 2.16 you use unrevoked or one of its variants to get s-off. If you're hboot 2.18 s-on locked you use htcdev.com to unlock the bootloader from there you can use fastboot to flash recovery or you can follow captain throwbacks guide to downgrade your hboot to an earlier version and achieve s-off. With s-on unlocked you can do (almost) anything you can do with s-off except you won't be able to flash PC36IMG.zip files, which include recoveries, radio updates, splashscreens, and RUU files.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

custm2007
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by -EViL-KoNCEPTz- View Post
If you are s-on (OOW unlocked) on hboot 2.18 u can used fastboot to flash a recovery, you should be using Amon RA on the evo and not cwm or twrp. If you are on hboot 2.15/.16 you need to use revolutionary.io to achieve s-off and gain recovery and the flash SU and SU binaries. Any hboot prior to 2.16 you use unrevoked or one of its variants to get s-off. If you're hboot 2.18 s-on locked you use htcdev.com to unlock the bootloader from there you can use fastboot to flash recovery or you can follow captain throwbacks guide to downgrade your hboot to an earlier version and achieve s-off. With s-on unlocked you can do (almost) anything you can do with s-off except you won't be able to flash PC36IMG.zip files, which include recoveries, radio updates, splashscreens, and RUU files.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
Hey -EViL-KoNCEPTz-
You got me kinda confused now. I thought the new CWM got the problems fixed with clearing the cache? If not, then is the Amon RA safe to use, it hasn't been updated in for ever. If you still recommend Amon RA, how do I change to that?

Also, I still have s-on.
Mine says:
*** UNLOCKED***
Supersonic EVT3 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-2.18.0001

How do I get it to S-OFF or do I need to?

I've been flashing back and forth to different Roms for a few days now. I'm still trying to find the one I like where everything works.

Skidoo03
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I'm in the same boat as custm2007 except it's on my friends phone. What would be the best way to get s-off after rooting it or do I even need to? I'll be doing everything for him so he won't be flashing much at all.

{ParanoiA}
Old
Thanks Meter 151
Do this

http://themikmik.com/showthread.php?...re-Watermark!-
HTC ONE M8: S-OFF
ROM: ViperOneM8
RECOVERY: TWRP
KERNEL: Stock

imheroldman
Old
(Last edited by imheroldman; 29th April 2012 at 03:49 AM.)
Thanks Meter 119
To actually answer the question... No you do not need to be s-off to flash rom's. Once unlocked you can flash a recovery through fastboot and flash rom's to your hearts content. This is currently how my phone is, and I have no complaints. Please see my blog for a tutorial for flashing recovery and su binaries.

imheroldtech.blogspot.com

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium
Sent by SGH-T999

ROM: Cyanogenmod 10 7/14
Kernel: Stock

My blog: Tech review... In review...