Unofficial Android 4.4 Lands on Three Mediatek Devices

For the last few years, devices with MTK systems-on-chip haven’t received much … more

MultiImagePicker Library for Multiple Image Selection

App developmentcan be done in more than a handful of ways. You can write every single … more

Shoot Troubles, Not Users w/ Alex Boag-Munroe – XDA:DevCon 2014

In presenting the various sessions from XDA:DevCon 2014, weve mainly … more

Oppo Releases ColorOS for the Find 5… Poorly

Almost every OEM has taken the liberty of creating its own incarnation of the Android OS. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Do I need s-off to flash roms?

OP Astrikz

23rd April 2012, 01:03 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 570

1,257 posts
More
I just unlocked my cousins evo 4g. I was wondering if I need s-off to flash Roms. If so. Can someone give me a link to a tutorial .
23rd April 2012, 01:12 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 9

124 posts
More
Well, you need Clockworkmod but you can't install clockworkmod without S-off, my Evo actually has S-on with clockworkmod and I can install roms no problem I don't even know how S turned back on but it did lol... It's really easy to google and find a guide on rooting/turning s-off but regardless here ya go, it's a list of a ton of guides for the Evo and rooting involves turning s-off.
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-...oot-guide.html
23rd April 2012, 01:15 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 570

1,257 posts
More
I did install clockworkmod while on s-on
23rd April 2012, 03:21 AM   |  #4  
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 401

700 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTzLOLtrain

I just unlocked my cousins evo 4g. I was wondering if I need s-off to flash Roms. If so. Can someone give me a link to a tutorial .

If you are like me, and would rather visually see it happen, go check out the beloved YouTube. There are lots of videos of people showing you exactly how to do it, step by step.

Hit thanks if I turned you in the right direction!

Good Luck!
23rd April 2012, 03:28 AM   |  #5  
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter: 1,089

5,473 posts
More
Unrevoked rev works well to root it if you didn't take the latest OTA Clockwork mod 4.0 works well for it afterwards to flash and wipe.
23rd April 2012, 07:57 AM   |  #6  
Flag Tampa Bay area
Thanks Meter: 3,499

6,230 posts
Donate to Me
More
If you are s-on (OOW unlocked) on hboot 2.18 u can used fastboot to flash a recovery, you should be using Amon RA on the evo and not cwm or twrp. If you are on hboot 2.15/.16 you need to use revolutionary.io to achieve s-off and gain recovery and the flash SU and SU binaries. Any hboot prior to 2.16 you use unrevoked or one of its variants to get s-off. If you're hboot 2.18 s-on locked you use htcdev.com to unlock the bootloader from there you can use fastboot to flash recovery or you can follow captain throwbacks guide to downgrade your hboot to an earlier version and achieve s-off. With s-on unlocked you can do (almost) anything you can do with s-off except you won't be able to flash PC36IMG.zip files, which include recoveries, radio updates, splashscreens, and RUU files.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
25th April 2012, 05:02 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 6

38 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -EViL-KoNCEPTz-

If you are s-on (OOW unlocked) on hboot 2.18 u can used fastboot to flash a recovery, you should be using Amon RA on the evo and not cwm or twrp. If you are on hboot 2.15/.16 you need to use revolutionary.io to achieve s-off and gain recovery and the flash SU and SU binaries. Any hboot prior to 2.16 you use unrevoked or one of its variants to get s-off. If you're hboot 2.18 s-on locked you use htcdev.com to unlock the bootloader from there you can use fastboot to flash recovery or you can follow captain throwbacks guide to downgrade your hboot to an earlier version and achieve s-off. With s-on unlocked you can do (almost) anything you can do with s-off except you won't be able to flash PC36IMG.zip files, which include recoveries, radio updates, splashscreens, and RUU files.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Hey -EViL-KoNCEPTz-
You got me kinda confused now. I thought the new CWM got the problems fixed with clearing the cache? If not, then is the Amon RA safe to use, it hasn't been updated in for ever. If you still recommend Amon RA, how do I change to that?

Also, I still have s-on.
Mine says:
*** UNLOCKED***
Supersonic EVT3 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-2.18.0001

How do I get it to S-OFF or do I need to?

I've been flashing back and forth to different Roms for a few days now. I'm still trying to find the one I like where everything works.
28th April 2012, 10:41 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 10

108 posts
More
I'm in the same boat as custm2007 except it's on my friends phone. What would be the best way to get s-off after rooting it or do I even need to? I'll be doing everything for him so he won't be flashing much at all.
28th April 2012, 11:02 PM   |  #9  
Flag Ocean City, NJ
Thanks Meter: 161

980 posts
More
Do this

http://themikmik.com/showthread.php?...re-Watermark!-
29th April 2012, 04:47 AM   |  #10  
Flag Chico
Thanks Meter: 119

641 posts
More
To actually answer the question... No you do not need to be s-off to flash rom's. Once unlocked you can flash a recovery through fastboot and flash rom's to your hearts content. This is currently how my phone is, and I have no complaints. Please see my blog for a tutorial for flashing recovery and su binaries.

imheroldtech.blogspot.com

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium
Last edited by imheroldman; 29th April 2012 at 04:49 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread