Memory upgrade on HTC 7 PRO

Search This thread
N

nath

I tried a sandisk 16gb class 2 that i've had for a while and had serious slowdowns, especially on entering the passcode (5 second wait sometimes)

I then tried a 32gb class 10 adata card which worked excellently for a while but then gave random crashes, seemingly the more I filled the card the worse it got....

Now using a sandisk class 4 16gb 80% filled with no problems, but a noticable speed drop...

morpheuszg

Nov 25, 2007
Duesseldorf
Yep, I have also slow downs due to the new SD card. I have a SanDisk 32GB Class 4. With it, youtube videos are heavily stuttering when streaming. Installation of apps also take longer. Quite annoying...

dandrayan

Jun 20, 2009
Gilbert, Arizona
Yep, I have also slow downs due to the new SD card. I have a SanDisk 32GB Class 4. With it, youtube videos are heavily stuttering when streaming. Installation of apps also take longer. Quite annoying...

Sounds like you bought the same one that I just did: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171487. WPBench gave me 1-2MB/sec speeds on that card, compared to 7-8MB/sec on the stock card. It took forever to install apps, and then it took forever to load them once they were installed. I'm returning the card to Newegg because those speeds are unacceptably low.

I stopped by my local Fry's Electronics today and picked up one these Samsung cards instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K0932091. So far, so good. I'm getting 9-10MB/sec in WPBench and the OS feels snappier than it did with the stock card. Still not Class 10 speeds, but I'll take the small bump in performance anyway.

morpheuszg

Nov 25, 2007
Duesseldorf
You are right, it is the same ^^ Some are getting system crashes with high class SD cards. So, I'm at the moment not so sure wether I should buy one of these. Is your device stable with it?

Loco5150

Jun 8, 2008
I started to have random crashes with SanDisk 16gb class 2 card. When using SMS, sometimes opening the phone and starting to type really fast results to phone boot. I ordered the Samsung 32gb class 10 card people seem to have good results.

Loco5150

Jun 8, 2008
Installed the Samsung 32gb class 10 card today... The whole device is wayyyy faster now, than with the SanDisk 16gb class 2 card I installed previously. New card seems to be working great, I will report back if any problems appear.

Last edited:

nickallison

Mar 2, 2009
North Yorks
Have been going about 6mths with SanDisk 32Gb class 4. Now getting random crashes and "memory card errors". Looks like card has failed over time. Anyone else?

Sent from my 7 Pro T7576 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

ronh

Mar 11, 2005
I've already upgraded my 7Pro with 16Gb a long time ago, and now considering to upgrade to the 32Gb Samsung card mentioned above. (only 3GB free)

Is there any possibility to clone the card? Or is there no other option than hard resetting my phone?

SCoty09

Jun 9, 2012
So, is 32 GB Samsung card really the best choice for Htc 7 Pro? Or have anybody problem with this card?

nicci

Dec 6, 2009
I have a sandisk 32gb class4 working in my htc 7pro :) everything working fine :)

Sent from my 7 Pro T7576 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

ablahblah

Jun 13, 2012
Has anyone been seeing any speed increases by upgrading to a particular card? Over the stock ones of course.

My Arrive/7-Pro still has a lot of space to go till its 16GB is up, but I'm starting to get fed up with the lag in the Zune player and YouTube player. Phone will just restart in my pocket sometimes, too, though I'm not sure whether that's just routine?

Loco5150

Jun 8, 2008
Sounds like issues that too slow sd-card could do, but if its stock card it would be a warranty issue?

I had a major speed improvement when I put the Samsung 32gb class 10 card in, but I had changed the stock SanDisk 8gb class 4 card to SanDisk 16gb class 2 before, so Im comparing to that.

Last edited:

IM0001

Jun 29, 2007
When swapping the card, Is is possible to backup the phone, swap cards, and then restore the phone to the device or is there some sort of Partition mumbo jumbo that goes into it that would break things?

I apparently have a lot of XBLive apps (and like to keep things installed) and after a fresh phone setup and install, I am left with less than 2.5G free of the original 14ish (on the stock 16G). Anything below 4 seems to slow down the device and anything below say 1.5~ the phone can become a flat out pig. I do look forward to the WP8 devices hopefully with a minimum of 16G of internal flash that has some good GC and maybe even Trim support to keep things from getting slow.

Also I am looking around and apparently a Class 10 now works fine all of a sudden? I can say I have always though Sandisk cards were crap and have yet to be proven wrong in the regard (had them fail, seen them fail, and well others have reported similar things with their Class 10 and below cards here and there).

One card I have had no problem with is the 16G Class 4 Polaroid (By PNY) chips in all my past phones and devices. After buying over 5 of them they all continue to work great. So I may stop by frys tonight and pick up one of These.

Have any of you with the Class 10 32G filled that card to the brim and seen how it works under full load?

Looking around, it is like said before, the random read/write speed that is most important to the WP7 file system (Since it I believe stores everything in smaller files on the disk similar to a PS3 actually).

The Reason the Samsung's seem to be holding up is the consistant speed (even if still a tad slow.)

51E0ZzJmE0L.jpg
(From Amazon)

While a Class 4 will probably get closer to 1.6+MBs, this isn't to bad considering the high Sequential performance + the way above .0XX speed a lot of the other Class 10's are getting. The only one to get this close was a PNY 32G for Tablet PC's that was able to hit a full 1.9 Random Speed o_O
Sadly that chip is hard to find and not cheap.

So after looking for too long, it looks like the Samsung really is the best Class 10 to pick up right now. It has consistant Sequential and Random speeds which is nice to see, random speeds are high enough (eg not .300-.006 MBs) and overall look also the most reliable. Might have to open this beast up tonight to make the upgrade quick and painless...

Last edited:

IM0001

Jun 29, 2007
Hey Loco, can you run a WP Bench Memory test on your phone? Would be nice to see how it compares to stock.

Jens-J.

Sep 25, 2007
Hamburg
www.pchn.biz
There is no Backup Option for your 16GB card , the internal Card builds a JOB with internal memory, when you remove your card all data will be lost,

Sorry thats FAKT.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those, who are interested where the microSC card of HTC 7 is hidden...I provide some pictures and a short description

how to do the memory upgrade on HTC 7 PRO

1. remove the battery cover, take out the battery and sim card
    2. dismount the four cross-head screw
    3. dismounnt the non-standard big screw on the lower left side
    4. at this point there are no screws on the rear cover part so I have just removed it with the help of my fingers while the keyboard was opened
    5.after removing the rear cover part you will see in the upper part the sim card slot, on the other side of the slot the microSD card is hidden. Slot is slightly sticked to the middle part of the cover - picture 1+2

On the left side there is a flex so it can be removed from the right to the left together with flashlight. After removing it (but carefully) you will se the sealed microSD card 8GB Sandisc class 4 - picture 4+2

I have replaced it with the card Sandisk 32GB class 2! 32GB Class 4 cards are not compatible.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

For czech users is manual here : http://smartmania.mobilmania.cz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=161&t=23398
    i done it!!!!!!

- format microSD card with utility called Panasonic SDformatter v2.0.0.3 (when formated card in windows, card not be recognized by HTC 7 Pro but with Panasonic utility, card working)...
    - after inserting card, pressed Vol up and down + power, get instruction for hard reset and after that my card working!!!!

also with Panasonic SDformatter restore microSD from HTC to full capacity
    Successfully Installed Sandisk 32GB Class 4

Some Tips

1: For odd shaped screw: Use a flat blade screwdriver, going in at 45-60 degrees to Phone in one of the arms of the "T". Hold the Screw Driver and spin the phone underneath it to undo the screw.

2: All installed Apps are listed in Desktop Zune at Settings>Account>Purchase History.

Good luck and Thanks to uiqjirka for the Thread.
    Thanks!

I just ordered a Class 10 32GB card from NewEgg for my HTC Arrive!

Alex

Alex,

Can you write on this thread whether it has worked or not as I'm looking to buy a Lexar Class 10 32gb MicroSD.

Thx :)
    you can remove this screw with classic screwdriver but you must be very careful...

for buy just search in eBay for "Mini T3 T-3 Torx 3 Head Screwdriver" or "30in1 ScrewDriver Tool Trox T3 T4 T5 T6 T7 T8 T10 T15"