Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,773 Members 52,988 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SDXC in Droid 3

Tip us?
 
edmann
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 48
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Default SDXC in Droid 3

I bought a SDXC 64gb SanDisk micro mini memory card for $100+ tax. I followed instructions and got an error message about the card being damaged. I was supposed to ignore and format and it anyway and it should be recognized. It wasn't. I had trouble (lots of it) (transfering 25gb takes awhile)until I found this link:

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=33424.0 How to use SDXC and rockbox. (In my case anyway.)


You won't get the speeds and performance of the SDXC, but you get the space. I needed it cause of the many flac files I have. Have fun, I am.
 
DoubleYouPee
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 192
Posts: 1,762
Join Date: Jul 2011
Just curious...but why do you have so many flac files?
 
edmann
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 48
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleYouPee View Post
Just curious...but why do you have so many flac files?
Music files..? Ripping a cd at 192kbps compared to 320kbps is a noticeable difference. Flac music files bitrates are anywhere from 854kbps up to 1038kbps+ To my ears, the inner music quality, transients, in the background of the music, is present in the flac files. Superior quality and listening pleasure. PS seems
to be a noticeable difference with the SDXC, a little quicker
 
boazal
Old
(Last edited by boazal; 24th April 2012 at 11:15 AM.)
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 221
Join Date: Dec 2011
maybe is because the XT860 Card slot support up to 32GB max.

Phone: Nexus 4
 
DoubleYouPee
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 192
Posts: 1,762
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmann View Post
Music files..? Ripping a cd at 192kbps compared to 320kbps is a noticeable difference. Flac music files bitrates are anywhere from 854kbps up to 1038kbps+ To my ears, the inner music quality, transients, in the background of the music, is present in the flac files. Superior quality and listening pleasure. PS seems
to be a noticeable difference with the SDXC, a little quicker
I'm sorry but you won't be able to hear the difference between 320kbps variable MP3 and a flac on your droid 3 with normal headset.
Either you're using a wrong encoder or wrong source files.
Use 320 VBR not constant.
 
edmann
Old
(Last edited by edmann; 26th April 2012 at 06:04 AM.)
#6  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 48
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
..
 
edmann
Old
#7  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 48
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
So your question was just a bait to give your opinion about what I can or cannot hear? You must be really bored. Maybe the fact is YOU can't hear the difference and your projecting that so to protect your short comings? You may want to ASK a question instead of what ever it is your trying to say.? PS REread my reply to your question cause I don't think you understoodwhat I wrote. And try to have manners up to your "Senior" statis>
 
DoubleYouPee
Old
(Last edited by DoubleYouPee; 26th April 2012 at 07:56 AM.)
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 192
Posts: 1,762
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmann View Post
So your question was just a bait to give your opinion about what I can or cannot hear? You must be really bored. Maybe the fact is YOU can't hear the difference and your projecting that so to protect your short comings? You may want to ASK a question instead of what ever it is your trying to say.? PS REread my reply to your question cause I don't think you understoodwhat I wrote. And try to have manners up to your "Senior" statis>
No, YOU cannot hear it either. You THINK you hear it (placebo) OR you don't know how to encode your files.
Even if you would be a audiophile and was even able to hear the difference, you would never be able to hear it via a droid 3 and headphones.
Try 320kbps VBR from the source file with a proper encoder.
 
eww245
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 78
Posts: 486
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Throop
Guys why the argument about audio quality the question was about using an SDXC card. Plain and simple flac is able to proudce higher frequencies. Uncompressed WAV, which is the same as a CDFS, will contain upto 20kHz, high quality mp3 will maybe get 16 or 18kHz because of the compression. A violin or cymbals has sounds way beyond what an mp3 is capable of, but will be heard with flac or wav. While flac is still compressed it IS better than any mp3. In either format higher frequencies can be reproduced with say a, harmonizer or by changing the phase . Like my audio receiver has some type of "filter" to help reproduce what is lost with compressed audio but will never be the same as the original. Any modern headphones and headphone ouput are able to produce the higher spectrum of frequencies, including the Droid 3.
Droid 3 - CM7 Safely Strapped
#OPMOSH
Acer a100 ICS 015 - rooted deodexed
Backup your data with adb

Retired Sorry Bill!
ThrottleLauncher Plugins
Weather.com
GoogleTranslator and Dictionary
CallLog@

[RHOD500]
XDAndroid FRX06/WM6.5 stock
 
DoubleYouPee
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 192
Posts: 1,762
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by eww245 View Post
Guys why the argument about audio quality the question was about using an SDXC card. Plain and simple flac is able to proudce higher frequencies. Uncompressed WAV, which is the same as a CDFS, will contain upto 20kHz, high quality mp3 will maybe get 16 or 18kHz because of the compression. A violin or cymbals has sounds way beyond what an mp3 is capable of, but will be heard with flac or wav. While flac is still compressed it IS better than any mp3. In either format higher frequencies can be reproduced with say a, harmonizer or by changing the phase . Like my audio receiver has some type of "filter" to help reproduce what is lost with compressed audio but will never be the same as the original. Any modern headphones and headphone ouput are able to produce the higher spectrum of frequencies, including the Droid 3.
I'm not saying MP3 V0 is the same as a FLAC file. Sure, if you go and use a frequency analyser you will find that the MP3 might be weaker above 16k hz.
However with normal headset and droid 3 you will not easily hear the difference..especially since the ear will not pick up such small differences at such high frequency.. maybe if you're 10 years old and have perfect ears.

Not to mention most music will never make much use of 16k> frequency.

But be my guest and waste GBs of space by using FLAC

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...