Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,672 Members 39,236 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] A100 bricked?

Tip us?

cityhunter_
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] A100 bricked?

I am a newbie in this forum and would need some help to unbrick my tablet.

I have been using leaked ICS in the past 2 weeks or so. This morning when I started using the tablet, it was running VERY slowly. I rebooted it but it was stuck at Android screen for more than 30 mins. Running out of patient, I restarted it 1 more time and it can now only get to the Acer screen no matter how long i waited.

Tried a few things already with no success:
1. Hard reset using the pin hole bottom left - nothing changes
2. Go to recovery mode trying to use the HC rom (rename to update.zip) using volume up button. Once the green droid shows up for a few seconds, it turns into a droid lying down with a red exclamation mark. It will then restart itself after 30 seconds or so.

What's going on with my tablet? Any help would be appreciated.

cityhunter_
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Any help??

mapaz04
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Default Cant use HC ROM...

As long as you are not BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED you can use a regular UPDATE.ZIP for your device... You cannot "DOWNGRADE" that is, you cannot go from ICS to HC again without some form of "hack" or "workaround"

See if your tablet allows you to re-flash the ICS build you were able to update to and post back... It may just be it corrupted some files...

Let us know... jejeje

UPDATE 1: And... Dont use VOL+, its supposed to be VOL-.
teaMJPx/mapaz04 - WP7 & Android - Hit "THANKS" if i've been able to help you

ptesmoke
Old
Thanks Meter 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapaz04 View Post
As long as you are not BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED you can use a regular UPDATE.ZIP for your device... You cannot "DOWNGRADE" that is, you cannot go from ICS to HC again without some form of "hack" or "workaround"

See if your tablet allows you to re-flash the ICS build you were able to update to and post back... It may just be it corrupted some files...

Let us know... jejeje

UPDATE 1: And... Dont use VOL+, its supposed to be VOL-.
lol...vol+ if your like me and boot to recovery in portrait :P

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium
The depressing thing about tennis is, no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall. -Mitch Hedberg

cityhunter_
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I tried the vol - button (the one farther away from the orientation lock button), it seems like the tablet was not doing anything different at all. It will eventually get stuck at the Acer screen.

If i use the vol + button (the one closer to orientation lock button), it shows the text "Booting recovery kernel menu" in Acer splash screen. It will then go to green Droid screen with a spinning sphere. In less than 5 seconds, it seems to fail to boot into recovery menu with a 'dead' droid with a big red exclamation mark.

These are the update.zip file I found in the forum. They all gave me the same error:

Acer_AV041_A100_1.012.00_WW_GEN1.zip
Acer_AV041_A100_1.014.00_WW_GEN1.zip
Acer_A100_1.014.08_COM_GEN1.zip

Any more help? I can get upload a video to Youtube if it helps.

mapaz04
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Default HOME Button?? Maybe??

When you get to the GREEN ANDROID... click on your HOME button and see if you get a bootloader/recovery type menu at the top left... If you dont get it from the GREEN ANDROID, try thesame (HOME button) while the RED DEAD ANDROID is showing...

When mine did that for a bit, I found there was a "hidden" recovery built in... Again, try to go to recovery and press the HOME button... You may have to press it for a few seconds...

cityhunter_
Old
(Last edited by cityhunter_; 24th April 2012 at 05:51 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for the pointer! It now shows a lot more information (while the sad Android with red exclamation mark is in the background)

I can scroll down/up using volume button for these options:
  1. reboot system now
  2. apply update from external storage
  3. wipe data/factory reset
  4. wipe cache partition
  5. apply update from cache

At the bottom of the screen, it is showing a whole bunch of yellow text:

E:Can't open /dev/block/mmcblk0p5
(No such file or directory)
E:failed to mount /cache (No such file or directory)
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
(repeat the above message for /cache/recovery/log, /cache/recovery/last_log, /cache/recovery/last_install

How can i select an option from this menu, btw?

I also tried to use the vol - button. I found that if i keep flipping orientation lock back and forth, it will show 2 messages at the top left corner showing "Erasing Userdata...Erasing cache..." in the Acer splash screen. Then it will freeze again....

mapaz04
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Default PWR button to select

Make selection with Vol+/- and press PWR button to select... See if you can do a factory reset...
"
Or put the UPDATE.ZIP into your microSD and see if it lets you select the "Update from ZIP" message

cityhunter_
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Pressing the power button doesn't do anything. If i press it long enough, it just shuts down the tablet.

mapaz04
Old
Thanks Meter 83
I dont know man... I cant get mine to there because I have the unlocked bootloader now... Have you tried either of the volume buttons... maybe the HOME KEY? that may be it...