Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Followed video tut for rooting, now i'm lost. What's a ROM, and where do I start?

OP Wodensman

23rd April 2012, 08:44 AM   |  #21  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,174

2,204 posts
Donate to Me
More
Follow the guide. When you flash a rom, kernel, modem - you overwrite the existing files. You don't need to worry about deleting anything. Follow the guide and you will be good.

Blue recovery is stock recovery. Red recovery is CWM.
23rd April 2012, 08:51 AM   |  #22  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 73

468 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumin30

Follow the guide. When you flash a rom, kernel, modem - you overwrite the existing files. You don't need to worry about deleting anything. Follow the guide and you will be good.

Blue recovery is stock recovery. Red recovery is CWM.

THANK YOU!!! I should be able to take it from here. You have addressed everything I've been ignorant of. My personal hero of the day! If I run into anymore questions or problems, I'll drop them in this thread. I'll update this thread when I have everything done, as well. I can't thank you enough. Sorry my head is so thick. I'm just new to all this, and I really wish I would have found this site before the video guide, so I could learn about what I was doing, while doing it. Would have saved us both this headache! When I get good at this, I'll handle people like myself, FOR YOU. Thanks again!
23rd April 2012, 08:53 AM   |  #23  
Recognized Contributor

2,204 posts
Donate to Me
More
Good luck. You'll enjoy the custom ROM's. Some stock apps have been removed in most of them (i.e. WiFi Calling). Just know you can add most back... at the expense of RAM of course
23rd April 2012, 08:56 AM   |  #24  
OP Senior Member

468 posts
Limited to 8 thanks per day..... LOL, I would give you 100 every day. If you're a dev, I'll gladly support you. Just name something you're involved with that has a donate button, that will be useful to me.
23rd April 2012, 09:03 AM   |  #25  
Recognized Contributor

2,204 posts
Donate to Me
More
You're good. Get your phone running smooth. Most issues with most of the custom ROM's have been addressed. For example, voicemail notifications. You will need to add back t-mobile visual voicemail to receive voicemail notifications regardless if you are on att. You will also probably want to remove DSP Manager. Just ask and we can help.
23rd April 2012, 09:10 AM   |  #26  
OP Senior Member

468 posts
Thanks! I don't use voicemail. I haven't set it up, EVER, and I've had this number for years and years. So, Should I factory reset before I even flash the kernel? And when I factory reset, I assume all the apps I had downloaded (except my new file manager) are on my sd card? do they just come right back onto the phone? or should I clear stuff off of my sd card?
23rd April 2012, 09:17 AM   |  #27  
OP Senior Member

468 posts
Ugh, I'm starting to get discouraged. I can't find the factory reset. I assume I have to go into recovery mode? I do use GOlocker, and lots of other GO stuff. Any other way to 'start fresh' besides a factory reset? I already d/led the flasher and manager, i guess i needed to reset first, lol. Damn
23rd April 2012, 09:28 AM   |  #28  
OP Senior Member

468 posts
I'm really good in photoshop. After I get my phone sorted out, I can repay you with a forum sig, if the forum allows them. My PS work is far from shoddy, and I'd like to give back to the community, and especially people like yourself.
23rd April 2012, 09:28 AM   |  #29  
Recognized Contributor

2,204 posts
Donate to Me
More
What manager?

Start and follow the guide where it talks about SGS Kernel Flasher and go from there. Follow the guide.
23rd April 2012, 09:29 AM   |  #30  
OP Senior Member

468 posts
Is it really necessary to factory reset? Is there any other way to get my device ready?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread