Backup+ Lets You Backup Your App Data on Android Lollipop

Even though Android 5.0 Lollipop hasn’t yet seen its official release, quite … more

TechTalk Compiles All the Android News You Need in One App

If you’re as obsessed with mobile devices as the vast majority of our forum … more

Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more
Post Reply

Announcing the Windows 8 Editions

OP samsabri

17th April 2012, 12:40 AM   |  #1  
samsabri's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 18
 
102 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Thank God. Only two editions to chose for x86/64 devices and one for ARM devices.

Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro are for x86/64, while WindowsRT will be for gizmos running on ARM.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b...-editions.aspx
17th April 2012, 02:29 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 129
 
298 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Angry
Hey... I thought there would be two versions Windows 8 M (Metro UI) Edition and Windows 8 N (Normal-Human-User Friendly) Edition... ROTFL
17th April 2012, 10:39 AM   |  #3  
mtmerrick's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Southern CA
Thanks Meter: 100
 
877 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
Actually there are 3 editions, that link is misleading.

Read through, and you'll see there's regular, pro, AND enterprise. But only those two will be available to consumers. Just like vista and 7, enterprise will only be available in volume licensing.
The Following User Says Thank You to mtmerrick For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2012, 12:09 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 47
 
1,376 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gururoop

Hey... I thought there would be two versions Windows 8 M (Metro UI) Edition and Windows 8 N (Normal-Human-User Friendly) Edition... ROTFL

Clearly you have not been following the Win 8 much.
The Following User Says Thank You to lamborg For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th April 2012, 09:18 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Flag Orange, ca
Thanks Meter: 66
 
322 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2006
More
I was really happy to see this, with one exception: That Media Center will only be available to Pro. What the **** were they thinking? Make the goddamn thing available to either version, even if you charge a fee for it. Jesus Christ.

Other than that, I'm happy to see Windows 8 consolidating editions and simplifying choices. I'll be preordering licenses as soon as they announce an early adopter deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsabri

Thank God. Only two editions to chose for x86/64 devices and one for ARM devices.

Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro are for x86/64, while WindowsRT will be for gizmos running on ARM.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b...-editions.aspx

22nd April 2012, 04:47 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 129
 
298 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborg

Clearly you have not been following the Win 8 much.

as a matter of fact i have not... i tried early leaked released and was pretty much fine with developer preview... but i hate metroui and would definitely not upgrade in case they decide to keep the start menu removed as they did in consumer preview... its simply not for non-touch screen devices..
22nd April 2012, 06:22 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Glasgow
Thanks Meter: 445
 
2,786 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2007
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasongw

I was really happy to see this, with one exception: That Media Center will only be available to Pro. What the **** were they thinking? Make the goddamn thing available to either version, even if you charge a fee for it. Jesus Christ.

Other than that, I'm happy to see Windows 8 consolidating editions and simplifying choices. I'll be preordering licenses as soon as they announce an early adopter deal

its not terribly clear whats going on with media centre is it
22nd April 2012, 09:55 PM   |  #8  
Account currently disabled
Flag ♥♥Bradford♥♥
Thanks Meter: 712
 
2,884 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
More
any review of latest win 8 ??
As i used pre release version only
23rd April 2012, 05:18 AM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Flag Albuquerque, NM
Thanks Meter: 9
 
238 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gururoop

as a matter of fact i have not... i tried early leaked released and was pretty much fine with developer preview... but i hate metroui and would definitely not upgrade in case they decide to keep the start menu removed as they did in consumer preview... its simply not for non-touch screen devices..

Start8 kinda fixes the Start Menu issue.
http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

I'm sure most of the issues can be worked around in some way.
23rd April 2012, 08:21 AM   |  #10  
epso-sage's Avatar
Member
Flag Folsom, CA
Thanks Meter: 8
 
97 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
Just would like to see what the price is for the upgrade.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes