Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,594 Members 38,984 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can I update the Firmware on Developer Unlocked Device Without Losing the Unlock?

Tip us?

chakru
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Can I update the Firmware on Developer Unlocked Device Without Losing the Unlock?

I bought Samsung Omnia 7 which was developer unlocked about 6 months back, it came with Windows phone mango installed when I got it, recently I get a message when I connect it to Zune that there is a minor firmware update available for the device, I haven't installed the update because of the fear of losing my unlock on the phone.

I just want to know considering the fact that my device is developer unlocked, after the installation of new update on the device, will my unlock remain intact or I will be forced to unlock the device again?

I do not see much or any bugs on the device and I see no point in updating the firmware as well, but just want to know what would happen if I did, as I have zero knowledge on the whole thing.

Thanks
Chakru

mirolg
Old
(Last edited by mirolg; 23rd April 2012 at 08:41 AM.)
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,503

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by chakru View Post
I bought Samsung Omnia 7 which was developer unlocked about 6 months back, it came with Windows phone mango installed when I got it, recently I get a message when I connect it to Zune that there is a minor firmware update available for the device, I haven't installed the update because of the fear of losing my unlock on the phone.

I just want to know considering the fact that my device is developer unlocked, after the installation of new update on the device, will my unlock remain intact or I will be forced to unlock the device again?

I do not see much or any bugs on the device and I see no point in updating the firmware as well, but just want to know what would happen if I did, as I have zero knowledge on the whole thing.

Thanks
Chakru
hi, if your device is unlocked, after update will remain intact. Zune make normally a backup before install a backup (but not shure if by each update). to be save do a backup:BACKUP now your unlocked MANGO phone - to RESTORE over ZUNE tnx xboxmod

Unzip WP7 Update Cab Sender.zip on your computer. Its a update/backuptool. it contain a dummy cab- it will backup your phone- but nothing update. Run the WP7 Update Cab Sender.bat (without ZUNE run). If you get a error, please install the tool from folder "if needed install this tool".

After run the WP7 Update Cab Sender.bat type B for (fake) update and real backup. If you have already a backup in C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Phone Update- please cut and paste it in a save place.

After all you will get a error message.
Is o.k. ignore the error message. Your BACKUP are succesful done. the error causes from the "fake update", the update cab is only a dummy and is neeaded to activate the Backup procces.

INFO: to see this path/files, you have to activate under windows explorer folder options "visible hidden files" The Backup files you will find in C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Phone Update, such as this folder name d4e21648 - xxxxxx - xxxxxx - xxxxxxx.

When you then connect your phone and start ZUNE, and search to updates, ZUNE tell you "your phone software is actuall and you get the RESTOREPOINT. Copy/Cut the Backup folder from ....\Windows Phone Update to a save place

INFO: If you RESTORE it over ZUNE plase be patient, the first 10 minutes you do not see an progress- but wait it will! f the screen go off, turn on and lock off the screen AND wait!Restorations duration is ca. 40 min. please do nothing with the phone in this time. be patient. After Restorations connect again with ZUNE, then you get Samsung App Store alo back

DISCLAIMER

I will not take any responsibility for any damages caused directly or indirectly from using the software-package or the instructions. Read the instructions thoroughly and proceed carefully!

original thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1335452

WP7 Update Cab Sender.zip - (3.67 MB, 6743 views)