Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Closed

OUTDATED[Guide] Setting up/using adb/fastboot-unlock, flash custom recovery & root

OP okantomi

17th April 2012, 12:18 PM   |  #301  
Flag Mars
Thanks Meter: 27

135 posts
Donate to Me
More
You have to make sure you're in the bootloader. When you're on your xoom, in the commend prompt type adb reboot bootloader to boot the xoom into the bootloader, then you should be able to issue fastboot flash recovery recovery_image_name.img.
17th April 2012, 02:04 PM   |  #302  
Thanks Meter: 119

249 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsa20

You have to make sure you're in the bootloader. When you're on your xoom, in the commend prompt type adb reboot bootloader to boot the xoom into the bootloader, then you should be able to issue fastboot flash recovery recovery_image_name.img.

The easiest way to know if you are in the bootloader and if fastboot commands work is to type fastboot devices, and if you get an answer (series of letters and numbers) you are okay (in bootloader and with proper drivers installed)

Tapatalking
17th April 2012, 10:57 PM   |  #303  
Flag Tel Aviv
Thanks Meter: 0

33 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm08

Hi
Im trying to unlock and root my xoom but keep hitting a snag at step 4. Ive unlocked it, several times at time point. Im trying to follow the green bot of ! instructions that were posted but the cmd prompt wont let me flash the boot boot.img or any of the next step. I downloaded the original mz604 image from the motodev site and unzipped it into the platform-tools folder. the cmd prompt says error: cannot load boot.img

Im not sure what im missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

i have the same problem
19th April 2012, 07:48 AM   |  #304  
Thanks Meter: 4

31 posts
I have problem after OTA,
I had a rooted xoom 4.0.3 then the OTA came and I installed it, now I have SU icon and it seems as if my apps get root access but they dont, so SU is lying :-/
I can get to "Android system recovery <3e> " and it only has 4 options:
reboot ...
apply update from USB drive
wipe data/...
wipe cache
I dont want to wipe my xoom, doing it for the first time was difficult enough
I just want my xoom to be rooted without having to wipe... Is there anything I can do?
BTW, because I do not have root, I cant remove/rename this :install-recovery.sh
19th April 2012, 03:16 PM   |  #305  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 715

3,019 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix6666

I have problem after OTA,
I had a rooted xoom 4.0.3 then the OTA came and I installed it, now I have SU icon and it seems as if my apps get root access but they dont, so SU is lying :-/
I can get to "Android system recovery <3e> " and it only has 4 options:
reboot ...
apply update from USB drive
wipe data/...
wipe cache
I dont want to wipe my xoom, doing it for the first time was difficult enough
I just want my xoom to be rooted without having to wipe... Is there anything I can do?
BTW, because I do not have root, I cant remove/rename this :install-recovery.sh

What would make you accept an OTA update while on a rooted device?
Losing root is the least bad thing that might happen to you. Can you boot into fastboot mode? if so, you will need to follow steps 4 onward (flash custom recovery, and then root, etc...).
Last edited by okantomi; 19th April 2012 at 03:22 PM.
23rd April 2012, 05:06 AM   |  #306  
Flag Niterói, RJ
Thanks Meter: 2

35 posts
More
Updates
I use the stock OTA 4.0.4 ICS and would like to keep updating my device. I made the root process and everything went fine. What must I do to install the new updates without problems?

Thanks!
23rd April 2012, 05:13 AM   |  #307  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston, MA

3,019 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicTracks

I use the stock OTA 4.0.4 ICS and would like to keep updating my device. I made the root process and everything went fine. What must I do to install the new updates without problems?

Thanks!

You have a choice of ROMs--I love the EOS ICS nightlies. Go to the development section and look for the thread for your specific Xoom model. Wifi only is wingray, 4G is stingray, and there are a couple of others. You will need to download the newest ROM, and the Gapps package (Google apps) which you flash immediately after the ROM in recovery. You will need to wipe data 1st, so that you don't have conflicts.
23rd April 2012, 07:12 AM   |  #308  
Flag Niterói, RJ

35 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by okantomi

You have a choice of ROMs--I love the EOS ICS nightlies. Go to the development section and look for the thread for your specific Xoom model. Wifi only is wingray, 4G is stingray, and there are a couple of others. You will need to download the newest ROM, and the Gapps package (Google apps) which you flash immediately after the ROM in recovery. You will need to wipe data 1st, so that you don't have conflicts.

I want to keep updated with the Motorola releases. I saw that the OTA updates can have some problems with rooted devices.

I use the CyanogenMOD 7 in my Galaxy5 and it´s awsome, but I had never tried any custom ROM in my Xoom. I'm from Brazil and Motorola has not released ICS for our devices yet, so I flashed the US 3.0.1 Stock ROM and upgraded to ICS 4.0.4. Does it worth to use a custom ROM in Xoom, since the original is great?

Thanks!
Last edited by EpicTracks; 23rd April 2012 at 07:50 AM.
23rd April 2012, 12:44 PM   |  #309  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston, MA

3,019 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicTracks

I want to keep updated with the Motorola releases. I saw that the OTA updates can have some problems with rooted devices.

I use the CyanogenMOD 7 in my Galaxy5 and it´s awsome, but I had never tried any custom ROM in my Xoom. I'm from Brazil and Motorola has not released ICS for our devices yet, so I flashed the US 3.0.1 Stock ROM and upgraded to ICS 4.0.4. Does it worth to use a custom ROM in Xoom, since the original is great?

Thanks!

Stick with what you have if you like it. When there are additional official updates, you'll get them as long as you are completely stock and not rooted.
24th April 2012, 01:23 AM   |  #310  
Flag Niterói, RJ

35 posts
More
I have rooted my Xoom to use Root Explorer. I want to know what I need to do in order to don't have problems when update.

Thanks!

Sent from my Xoom ICS 4.0.4 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adb, tiamat recovery, universal xoom root
Previous Thread Next Thread