Document the Story of Your Social Life with 8tory

The different forms of social media are growing every day. It’s hard to imagine a day … more

Make Calling Your Loved Ones Easier and Cheaper this Diwali

Diwali, or Deepawali as some Indians call it, is the pride and joy of Indian … more

Big Android BBQ 5.0 Recap – XDA TV

This fifth annual Big Android BBQ has come and gone. The speakers have spoke, the sponsors have … more

Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

A case for the Droid Charge: a perspective for potential or unhappy owners

OP cmdrfrog

10th April 2012, 12:39 PM   |  #11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 3,095

3,413 posts
Donate to Me
More
Yea, I've already verified with Verizon that the data plan is tied to the individual customer and as long as you don't change your data plan, you can carry it with you and not change anything. I just combined my line onto a new family plan, under someone else's name, and my data didn't change. They still have their 4GB double data, and I still have my unlimited data.
10th April 2012, 03:27 PM   |  #12  
Flag Madison, WI
Thanks Meter: 244

1,585 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike1978

Yea, I've already verified with Verizon that the data plan is tied to the individual customer and as long as you don't change your data plan, you can carry it with you and not change anything. I just combined my line onto a new family plan, under someone else's name, and my data didn't change. They still have their 4GB double data, and I still have my unlimited data.

So if i split my line off my family plan i should be able to keep the data?
10th April 2012, 04:24 PM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 31

122 posts
More
I am a perfect example of this scenario. I had the Fascinate for about a year, and just couldn't stop thinking about how much I wanted a 4G phone and bigger screen. A little over a month ago, I decided to upgrade. All of the BIG 3 phones (razr, rezound, nexus) were available on ebay or craigslist, but I went with The Droid Charge. Got mine for $125 on ebay, bought a car dock for $20, flashed Eclipse and FP1 radio (haven't gotten around to Eclipse 2.0 yet and FP1 kernel), and I could not be happier. I have not even thought about another device, and the phone is stable, quick and of course the screen is fantastic. I agree, the Charge is a great value on the phone market right now.
10th April 2012, 06:27 PM   |  #14  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 3,095

3,413 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JihadSquad

So if i split my line off my family plan i should be able to keep the data?

From my understanding, yes, as long as the service is uninterrupted.
11th April 2012, 09:13 AM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 33

338 posts
More
I kind of hate these owner-justification threads, because this phone is undeniably dated at this point... yet there's nothing wrong with that. Technology moves quickly. That's just how it is.

The Galaxy Nexus is noticeably much faster in daily use, and you're deluding yourself (and/or haven't used one) if you insist otherwise.... but it should be faster! It's newer. Yet in a year, you can be sure it too will start looking outdated. Once again, technology moves fast.

Finally: if you're buying a phone off-contract and need to save money, sure, consider the Charge, because yeah, you can get it pretty cheap. But the reality is that the overwhelming majority of people buy phones on-contract, and getting this in that scenario -- when you can get a much newer and all-around better phone like the Lucid (now *that* is a good value) for less money -- would be a definite mistake.
Last edited by Falcyn; 11th April 2012 at 09:17 AM.
16th April 2012, 02:43 AM   |  #16  
MPLS
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Just rooted and loaded Eclipse 2.0. Phone is better than ever.

I had been considering picking up a new phone but I am glad that I gave the Charge another shot.
16th April 2012, 03:06 AM   |  #17  

27 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jager420

Yeah but when you go to upgrade you have to sign a new 2 year contract and unlimited will not be an option. Only way to stay locked in to unlimited data is by buying phone @ retail price

But I agree with this post and will wait till a new nexus comes out..Which prob wont come out till end of this year or begging of next year...

This is wrong. When you upgrade you still can keep your unlimited data. I verified this with Verizon.

As for the main post by cmdrfrog. I agree 100% with what he wrote. My contact is up in September and I was thinking of upgrading to the Galaxy Nexus but after flashing my Charge with the Tweaked v2.0 rom by dwitherell. I really don't see any reason to upgrade currently with the exception of having the latest and greatest and better rom support.
16th April 2012, 10:26 AM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 92

756 posts
I gotta say that the Charge more or less forced me into the geeky root, rom, mod, script, theme, radio, etc flashing thing. If the Charge didn't suck so much stock, I likely wouldn't have much of an Android skillset today.
Once tricked out properly, the Charge is a great phone. The VIA baseband is sub-par IMO, but for some people it seems fine.

I remember when there were rumors of Verizon dropping unlimited. The Charge was my first smartphone. I was compelled to get a 4G phone just in case Verizon wouldn't let you upgrade a 3G device and still let you keep unlimited in the future, and just 5 weeks later, Verizon dropped unlimited. At the time it was the Charge or the Thunderbolt, and I am glad I didn't get the Thunderbolt...

I remember when I first had an Odin flash fail, I think my heart skipped a couple beats.

The Charge has drawbacks, no doubt about it, but it is still an awesome phone. I think most people would be happy with it waiting for something like the GS3.
23rd April 2012, 03:01 AM   |  #19  
Flag Westminster

7 posts
More
Newb here, but thought I'd chime in. Before rooting, my Charge was slow, and laggy (is that a word?). After taking the plunge, and rooting with Tweakstock, the phone runs great! I agree that is a little dated now, but my rooted Charge will keep me happy til my next upgrade.
23rd April 2012, 12:44 PM   |  #20  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 7

38 posts
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdadevnube

I gotta say that the Charge more or less forced me into the geeky root, rom, mod, script, theme, radio, etc flashing thing. If the Charge didn't suck so much stock, I likely wouldn't have much of an Android skillset today.
Once tricked out properly, the Charge is a great phone. The VIA baseband is sub-par IMO, but for some people it seems fine.

I remember when there were rumors of Verizon dropping unlimited. The Charge was my first smartphone. I was compelled to get a 4G phone just in case Verizon wouldn't let you upgrade a 3G device and still let you keep unlimited in the future, and just 5 weeks later, Verizon dropped unlimited. At the time it was the Charge or the Thunderbolt, and I am glad I didn't get the Thunderbolt...

I remember when I first had an Odin flash fail, I think my heart skipped a couple beats.

The Charge has drawbacks, no doubt about it, but it is still an awesome phone. I think most people would be happy with it waiting for something like the GS3.

Way to think positive! That is really a good point though. The phone was so terrible when it came out I thought I had faulty hardware and went back to the store for a replacement. When I realized I was just stuck with the phone the way it was, I joined XDA and started tweaking. I never would have learned so much about rooting, scripts, themes, even the Linux shell. Now, the phone works beautifully (though finally getting a device that came out a year ago into working order is unacceptably late). I will be holding on to this one for a while.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread