Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,567 Members 42,676 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Bluetooth Tethering

Tip us?

rjpearce
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] Bluetooth Tethering

Hi folks,

Has anyone had much luck with tethering an Internet connection using bluetooth (not wifi)

I've tried tethering from my HTC Desire HD (ICS 4.0.4) to my Archos 101 G9 (ICS 4.0.4), after pairing I can get the tablet to connect and use the Internet connection, but after a minute the bluetooth connection drops out.

Has anyone else noticed a similar problem?

I've found a few threads on the Asus Transformer section with a very similar issue but they seems to have been fixed by a recent firmware update from Asus.

cajl
Old
Thanks Meter 167

DONATE TO ME
no tethering by BT with ICS
use the wifi
The old man of Archos
All Archos from JUKEBOX 6000 to GEN XX
see that
http://www.jbmm.fr/2010/10/23/ma-folie-archosienne/
THANKS for your THANKS

sleepyguy007
Old
Thanks Meter 36
I've gotten it to work using foxfi on my galaxy nexus and pdanet tablet on the g9

djdoc1975
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyguy007 View Post
I've gotten it to work using foxfi on my galaxy nexus and pdanet tablet on the g9
I got it to work once using pdanet tablet and foxfi. I can't get it to work anymore though.

At OP make sure you have tun.ko installed on your tablet so Bluetooth tether may work.

Sent from my X10i using M&M's MIUI v2.0 + tapatalk :D

Djirin
Old
Thanks Meter 20
I have a 101 G9 Turbo 8GB version I bought off Sellout.Woot back in March. I installed a rom off XDA but I don't remember which one! It was one of the 3.2.80 versions though. After some trial and error I have been able to tether my tablet to my Nokia E71 through bluetooth DUN using the command line. It isn't the easiest to do but its usable.

magahacka
Old
Thanks Meter 0
it works good when tethering from Asus transformer to my archos g9 101 but the speed isnt the best.

rjpearce
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdoc1975 View Post
I got it to work once using pdanet tablet and foxfi. I can't get it to work anymore though.

At OP make sure you have tun.ko installed on your tablet so Bluetooth tether may work.

When you got it working were you using Gingerbread or ICS?

Thanks
-Richard

djdoc1975
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpearce View Post
When you got it working were you using Gingerbread or ICS?

Thanks
-Richard
Ics, I got it working about 2 weeks ago. But not had any luck since then.

rokkywoof
Old
(Last edited by rokkywoof; 27th June 2012 at 04:19 AM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Thumbs up Works for me!

It works outstandingly for me:
Phone: Verizon XV6900 (aka HTC Touch - CDMA EVDO rev A, no wifi), WinMo 6.1 running Internet Sharing utility.

Archos 80, "Staples Special" (1 Ghz/512 MB RAM/7 GB storage - listed as 4GB, go figure), ICS, FW 4.0.6

How I did it:
1. BT pair the phone and tablet (duh ;)
2. Make sure they are connected - tap the phone device name in the Android BT settings list so it shows connected
3. Start ICS ("Internet Connection Sharing" - they had that acronym long before any Google Android existed ;) on the WinMo phone, tap its "Connect" soft key.
4. Android settings: "More.../Tethering & portable hotspot/Bluetooth tethering" check marked (yeah, I thought that meant the Archos would share its connection - dunno about that, but it is working in the opposite direction for me - go figure).

I streamed a TunedIn radio stream for several hours this way at a hotel recently (good thing I have the "unlimited" data plan grandfathered, but looks like I only used about 20MB, picking 40Kbps stream).

YMMV

nashi20002003
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokkywoof View Post
It works outstandingly for me:

3. Start ICS ("Internet Connection Sharing" - they had that acronym long before any Google Android existed ;) on the WinMo phone, tap its "Connect" soft key.
4. Android settings: "More.../Tethering & portable hotspot/Bluetooth tethering" check marked (yeah, I thought that meant the Archos would share its connection - dunno about that, but it is working in the opposite direction for me - go figure).
It does work because the two bluetooth device are connected and if the second support being used as a modem...it will default into that Internet Sharing profile.

I don't think your step 3 & 4 is necessery. I've used Archos 80 with Nokia C3 and other Android Tablets. It seems to more work with Bluetooth 3.0 devices.

Instead of 3 & 4 above ...you should go to Bluetooth, find the paired and connected device and click on the Setting icon....you will see a check box there which checked by default "Use this to connect to the internet"

Tags
bluetooth, ics, tethering