Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,659 Members 44,281 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

64gb Micro SDXC Card ?

Tip us?

Haldi4803
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by down4wotever View Post
Update 14/11/11 64GB micro SDXC Card works flawlessly with X10. Simply insert new card, phone will not recognise the format and will give message that card is damaged. Simply format (which is erase micro sd option on X10) and ENJOY!

Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SysGhost View Post
Keep in mind, there might be a problem once you store files beyond the 32GiB limit of the SDHC standard. Weird things and corruption might occur.
mhmm, thats because they created a new data format for SDXC and we're reformating to SDHC standard? I'll think i'll get a 64gb Card Not like the 128gb versions will come out soon, right ?

SysGhost
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldi4803 View Post
mhmm, thats because they created a new data format for SDXC and we're reformating to SDHC standard?
It's not about the reformat. It's lower than that.
When id comes to SDcard readers, micro or normal, there are basically two types:

Type 1:
Hardware/firmware-driven, that uses it's own hardware to manage the basic functions of the SD-card and presents is as an UMS device (USB Mass Storage)
The benefit from those readers are less utilisation of the main CPU followed by higher throughput.
The backside is the limited support of what standards it can use.

Type 2:
Software/"dumb" reader. It'll just provide a "physial" connection to the underlying USB-system, and presents it "as is": a SD-card flash memory.
In this "dumb" mode, the Operating system must provide all the routines in order to communicate properly with the attached SD-card.
The benefit with those are full range compatibility with future standards, but it depends on software, drivers and the main CPU, which might result in slightly lower speeds and "sluggishness" as the IO-operations increases.
However, if the OS and the SDHC/SDXC drivers in question is poorly optimised, the hit on the CPU can be drastically high whenever a read/write occurs.

So, which one is prefered then?
It's up to the manufacturers of the hardware and the operating system.
In our case here, Android can use both UMS devices, as well as generic/default SDHC and SDXC flash cards.

In my opinion, the type 2, "dumb" readers, are the "best" ones.
The only limitations of what cards these readers can use, is only limited by the operating system and the kernel modules/drivers provided.
And the "load" on the CPU as generally so small it's often neglectable, provided the drivers and OS is well optimised.

Which type the X10 smartphone uses I cannot tell.
I simply don't know, but it sounds promising, as there haven't been any "corrupted data" reports from the few who are using 64GiB cards...

... yet!

If the X10 smartphone does utilise the type 1 reader, the firmware/hardware based one, it might "kick back", as data stored beyond the 32 GiB limit of the readers limitation, might just "disappear into the void", never reporting any errors.
Users might notice this first when they try to access the previous stored files and finds out the content returned are just a stream of nulls. (null = digital void, nothing, nada, true zero, blank)

If and When this happens, only time can tell.
Someone has to try fill the card "to the brim", and copy back the content verifying everything is correct and proper.
Not just the filenames and filesizes, but also the content itself. (Checksum methods should suffice)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SysGhost For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Scratchling
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Just to +1 the above post. When the manufacturer states a maximum card size its not what the phone can mount but what it can reliably use. There's a good chance that you'll have corruption if you continue to use it.

SysGhost
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Anyone got any news on this?
Does it truly work with all 64 Gibibytes, or is only half of it useful as I suspect?

Haldi4803
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 273
got ne for myself! Sandisk Class 6 64gb !

Have something like 40gb full. Works well!

Awesome!

rachit_rox
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
got ne for myself! Sandisk Class 6 64gb !

Have something like 40gb full. Works well!

Awesome!
can u post some benchmarks and screenshots plz and do you feel any kind of slowness or lag at all?

MitraljezaC
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Nice this is very nice.

staynam
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Maybe u should go to some IT shop and try it out.
I guess the X10 din show its support with 64G is coz at dat time, 64G micro-SDHC havnt come out yet.

Haldi4803
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachit_rox View Post
can u post some benchmarks and screenshots plz and do you feel any kind of slowness or lag at all?
Wish i could -.- but somehow the Phone (or what ever, never took it out!) Corrupted the MicroSD Card!

Then Phone Plays dead with a Corrupted MicroSD Card. Wont start up !

put the Card into SD Card and reade on my computer and that one says corrupted format. Need to reformat -.- But then "Computer cant Format that card" -.-
AND the Card gets ****ing HOT! nearly burnt myself! more than 50C for sure! Also only shows 30MB space! But i had over 40gb data on it! so its a real one!

Guess i'll got an defective Card -.-

But about the Read/write values. had something like 6-7mb write and 30mb read.

king-iyokan
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Wish i could -.- but somehow the Phone (or what ever, never took it out!) Corrupted the MicroSD Card!

Then Phone Plays dead with a Corrupted MicroSD Card. Wont start up !

put the Card into SD Card and reade on my computer and that one says corrupted format. Need to reformat -.- But then "Computer cant Format that card" -.-
AND the Card gets ****ing HOT! nearly burnt myself! more than 50C for sure! Also only shows 30MB space! But i had over 40gb data on it! so its a real one!

Guess i'll got an defective Card -.-

But about the Read/write values. had something like 6-7mb write and 30mb read.
This had to happen when SE said it was compatible with 32gb

Sent from my Xperia S using XDA

Tags
64gb, micro, sdxc