Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,332 Members 51,634 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Bionic on tmobile

Tip us?

wiltgen
Old
Thanks Meter 12

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by projektorboy View Post
Fair enough. I'll just wait for the Bionic dev community to cook up GSM-capable Bionic radio firmware from scratch and then figure out how to bypass the locked bootloader to flash that into the phone.
I got this phone working on a 100% GSM network on Gingerbread... Now on ICS when the signal locks in the telephony process hangs and force closes... but I'm working on that

fragulina
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Default I got this done - no gsm data yet

Looking for someone to help make DATA working... I have all files but nowhere to upload to...

PROCEDURE
1. Update Bootloader to (0A.72)

2. Install stock ROM with RSD Lite
----> GB: VRZ_XT875_5.9.904.XT875.Verizon.en.US_CFC_01

Make sure Debug Mode is ON and it's connected as CHARGER ONLY (not Mass Storage)

3. Root the phone with motofail (motofail_windows.zip)

4. Install Bootstrap (BionicBootstrap.apk)

5. Reboot into recovery and install ICS Gummy (Gummy_targa-Release-1.0.2.zip + speargapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip)

6. To enable GSM/UMTS follow these steps:
1. Ensure USB is connected as PC Tools mode (not Mass Storage)
2. In Radiocomm go to MA->CDMA1X->QSC60x5
3. After it comes up, switch to FTM Common1 tab and wait for the phone to enumerate purple.
4. On the upper right side in the NVAccess, scroll to NV item 1877 NV_RF_BC_CONFIG_I
5. Read the value from the device
6. Replace the first 8 bytes (16 digits) with: 8703E80400000200
7. Write the data to the device and powercycle.
This will enable GSM/UMTS bands.

To disable GSM/UMTS, perform the same 7 steps, but replace the 8-byte data with: 0700000000000000
AFTER SOME WHILE GSM SIGNAL IS STRONG FOR VOICE BUT NO DATA
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to fragulina For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

brandogg
Old
Thanks Meter 81
For data you'll have to edit the APN settings (assuming this is possible) to match the carrier that you're using.
The Following User Says Thank You to brandogg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cellzealot
Old
Thanks Meter 850
This works...voice and data with no other modifications required on T-Mobile.
Its EDGE only data because the MDM6600 radio chipset does not support AWS bands for Tmo's HSPA.

Pretty amazing!!
CellZealot

TeamBlackHat

Digital alchemy for the Droid and beyond.

TechnoHippie
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellzealot View Post
This works...voice and data with no other modifications required on T-Mobile.
Its EDGE only data because the MDM6600 radio chipset does not support AWS bands for Tmo's HSPA.

Pretty amazing!!
WOW I'm impressed.

According to this https://developer.qualcomm.com/devel...nectivity-gobi
MDM6600 supports HSPA+ data rates of up to 14.4 Mbps and CDMA2000® 1xEV-DO Rev. A/Rev. B

So I wonder what happens if you try AT&T instead of T-Mobile.

Also another question - you put in the t-mobile SIM vs an AT&T SIM - is there some type of unlocking you have to do in order to use these other SIM's or is all that's required the above instructions?

cellzealot
Old
(Last edited by cellzealot; 24th April 2012 at 07:19 AM.) Reason: added image
Thanks Meter 850
No SIM unlock required. When it boots there is a warning that the SIM is from an unknown source, that's all. The APN for data services auto provisioned from the SIM.
Google services sign in will fail and need reauthenticating.

Here is the kicker...no re editing of the NVM is required for full VZW service with LTE SIM replaced.
This edit supports either authentication ,mode.

It just works!

It should work exactly the same for an ATT SIM.

CellZealot

TeamBlackHat

The Following User Says Thank You to cellzealot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fragulina
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Default GB vs. ICS

Yes you left your phone on GB and then you do have both voice and data. I'm glad it worked for you!

Now if you try to go further moving to ICS you'll find data issue. In fact I just realized something inaccurate in my procedure: you have to update the bootloader AFTER installing the GB:

PROCEDURE
1. Install stock ROM with RSD Lite

2. Update Bootloader to (0A.72)

Because the stock ROM actually installs the bootloader 0A.61.

I'll try a different custom ROM to see what happens on ICS.

jimmydafish
Old
Thanks Meter 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragulina View Post
Yes you left your phone on GB and then you do have both voice and data. I'm glad it worked for you!

Now if you try to go further moving to ICS you'll find data issue. In fact I just realized something inaccurate in my procedure: you have to update the bootloader AFTER installing the GB:

PROCEDURE
1. Install stock ROM with RSD Lite

2. Update Bootloader to (0A.72)

Because the stock ROM actually installs the bootloader 0A.61.

I'll try a different custom ROM to see what happens on ICS.
The xml file you reference above is not available to the public. Do you know of a link to it so we can try exactly what you are attempting?
P3Droid
www.aosp.us
TeamBlackHat

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellzealot View Post
No SIM unlock required. When it boots there is a warning that the SIM is from an unknown source, that's all. The APN for data services auto provisioned from the SIM.
Google services sign in will fail and need reauthenticating.

Here is the kicker...no re editing of the NVM is required for full VZW service with LTE SIM replaced.
This edit supports either authentication ,mode.

It just works!

It should work exactly the same for an ATT SIM.
I can confirm Cellzealot's findings, after some gtalk last night... it does work... My bionic is now working with my T-Mobile SIM. Its just a "seem edit" (or NV edit as its called now)

Not sure if there will be a how to.

cellzealot
Old
Thanks Meter 850
There will be a HowTo and more once I establish this works on other devices as well. The edits appear to be the same for the D4 and Razr. The implications of this are rather enormous, given VZW's reluctance to implement this yet due to not having the network infrastructure in place to support roaming agreements and billing interoperability for global use.

This is going to get very interesting!

There are many different ways this hack can be applied and we will explore all of them. It can easily be made into an update.zip for use with CWM recovery that will avoid the need for using RadioComm or other service software for the NV edits.
CellZealot

TeamBlackHat

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cellzealot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]