Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

FXP Team Delivers Lollipop to Various Xperia Devices!

From all of us here at XDA-Developers, we’d like to wish you Happy Holidays! If … more

Turn Your Camera Into a Live Puzzle Game

The classic sliding puzzle game hasnt changed much, if at all, over the years. Dating all the way … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Anyone knwo what VZWInstaller.apk and VzwLBSPerm.apk do?

OP Hand76

22nd April 2012, 08:02 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Long Island N.Y.
Thanks Meter: 133

792 posts
More
Got the itch to remove a few more apps. Anyone knwo what these two Verizon ones do? Safe to delete?

VZWInstaller.apk
VzwLBSPerm.apk
22nd April 2012, 10:37 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 321

532 posts
I don't know what they do, but I'm running Ice Cream Senseless (which is a themed and stripped down stock ROM). VzwLBSPerm.apk is there, VZWInstaller.apk is not. So you should be fine to delete VZWInstaller.apk, but leave VzwLBSPerm.apk alone. If my memory serves me correctly, LBS stands for Location Based Services. There's a good chance deleting that would break your GPS.
The Following User Says Thank You to musical_chairs For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd April 2012, 07:48 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Long Island N.Y.

792 posts
More
Thanks man. At this point I know what about 90% of all apps do (and if they are needed or not) but I am going to go to the well again and ask if you or anyone also know anything about these two guys:

DMPortRead.apk
or
FilePicker.apk

Have googled just about everything I can on these two and can not find a response anywhere.
23rd April 2012, 12:49 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 321

532 posts
I have no idea, really. Both of these apps are included on the ROM I am running, so the dev who made it must have thought they were worthwhile. I did a little googling too and I believe DMPort would stand for Digital Media Port. Whatever that actually means...

Maybe somebody else has a better answer.
The Following User Says Thank You to musical_chairs For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd April 2012, 04:29 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Long Island N.Y.

792 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by musical_chairs

I have no idea, really. Both of these apps are included on the ROM I am running, so the dev who made it must have thought they were worthwhile. I did a little googling too and I believe DMPort would stand for Digital Media Port. Whatever that actually means...

Maybe somebody else has a better answer.

Yea DMPort may have something to do with the dock/car dock, but not sure.
24th April 2012, 02:48 AM   |  #6  
Flag Michigan City, IN
Thanks Meter: 932

3,146 posts
Donate to Me
More
I have always deleted both of them and have not had any issues. As to whay they do im not sure. But i figure if its got vzw in the name i probably dont want it. If you google them they mostly show up in safe to remove bloatware lists, but cant find anything on what they are.
Last edited by cmlusco; 24th April 2012 at 02:52 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread