5,599,478 Members 38,339 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

stolen TP in Jamaica looking for some help

Tip us?
 
Realistpm
Old
#1  
Realistpm's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 94
Join Date: Apr 2011
Default stolen TP in Jamaica looking for some help

First day on vacation and our laptop and touchpad was stolen. Was wondering if I can remote install security on it to find it, lock it, use the camera or wipe it. Don't remember exactly which build is on it but it's an April ics nightly.

And yes, I'm an idiot for not having that stuff on before vacation but I'm trusting. Never again.

Have an appointment with head of security in the morning but I doubt anything will get resolved.

Please list options. If any. Thank you.
 
Argent36
Old
#2  
Argent36's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 61
Posts: 720
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canton - Michigan

 
DONATE TO ME
not sure what apps you could install but if it's on and has a network connection you could always push apps from the Android market to the device

https://play.google.com/store

not much help I know but it's at least a start....
~Paul
Samsung GS 5 (VZW) - Stock
Nexus 7 - Rooted stock

My Vignette App photo gallery
 
Jotokun
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 229
Posts: 786
Join Date: Apr 2011
You could try installing this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...YnMucGxhbmIiXQ..

Its a find my phone/tablet solution that is intended to be installed after you lose the tablet. Since the Touchpad is wifi only, I wouldnt count on it unless you had the wifi set to never sleep, whoever took it never turned it off or rebooted to webOS, and it happened to be near wifi. But you never know, might get lucky.
Current phone - Nexus 4 16GB (CM10.1 RC2)
Current Tablet - Nexus 10 32GB (CM10.1 Nightly)
Previous devices - Motofail Backflip (CM7.2 Stable), Motofail Atrix 4G (CM10), HP Touchpad (CM9), Asus Transformer TF700 + dock (rooted stock ICS), Nook Color (CM7.1), Samsung Blackjack II (WinMo 6.1)
 
grannyrogers
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 40
Posts: 301
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: College Station

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistpm View Post
First day on vacation and our laptop and touchpad was stolen. Was wondering if I can remote install security on it to find it, lock it, use the camera or wipe it. Don't remember exactly which build is on it but it's an April ics nightly.

And yes, I'm an idiot for not having that stuff on before vacation but I'm trusting. Never again.

Have an appointment with head of security in the morning but I doubt anything will get resolved.

Please list options. If any. Thank you.
Dude sorry that happened to you. I am from Jamaica and am embarrassed. Was it stolen from your hotel room?


Sent from my cm_tenderloin using xda premium
 
smac7
Old
#5  
smac7's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 146
Posts: 1,171
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotokun View Post
You could try installing this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...YnMucGxhbmIiXQ..

Its a find my phone/tablet solution that is intended to be installed after you lose the tablet. Since the Touchpad is wifi only, I wouldnt count on it unless you had the wifi set to never sleep, whoever took it never turned it off or rebooted to webOS, and it happened to be near wifi. But you never know, might get lucky.
If the thief is very dumb (he probably is), he may have a chance. Hopefully his battery didn't die.

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey4life0099 View Post
If the thief is very dumb (he probably is), he may have a chance. Hopefully his battery didn't die.
Edit: just remembered our TP's do not have GPS which is going to decrease your chance of finding it.
 
Realistpm
Old
#6  
Realistpm's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 94
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyrogers View Post
Dude sorry that happened to you. I am from Jamaica and am embarrassed. Was it stolen from your hotel room?


Sent from my cm_tenderloin using xda premium
Correct, right out of our room. We were here about 4 hours.

Plan B works on GPS. Or did I read it wrong? Sorry, been limited time online as our phone chargers were stolen with the laptop bag and have only been able to get a little charge here and there from a friendly random person trying to help out. our phones haven't been being full charges.
 
Realistpm
Old
#7  
Realistpm's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 94
Join Date: Apr 2011
Is there something out there that I can download when it connects to wifi again that would lock it up?
 
rosystreasures
Old
#8  
rosystreasures's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 27
Posts: 340
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CA, USA
Wow, I am with you...I had a tp "stolen" recently as well in the great old usa. Placed an ad on craigslist. Sold it really fast. However, whe I got to the bank to deposit the $250, I was informed all of the 20's were counterfeit! I did make a police report and bank report...
Thank you kindly,
Rosy

Sprint Galaxy Note 3
deciding to root or not to root
 
Realistpm
Old
#9  
Realistpm's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 94
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosystreasures View Post
Wow, I am with you...I had a tp "stolen" recently as well in the great old usa. Placed an ad on craigslist. Sold it really fast. However, whe I got to the bank to deposit the $250, I was informed all of the 20's were counterfeit! I did make a police report and bank report...
There are Aholes everywhere. I'm not trying to single out the country, just point out my situation. We are here until sat night. Just doing what I can before we leave. with limited internet access and help.
 
chinkster
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 374
Join Date: May 2010
Sorry man Its probably getting traded for some weed as we speak

HP Touchpad - CM9

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

A More Competitive Spin on the Addictive 2048 Puzzle

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we talked about a rather interesting take on … more

Multiboot in Progress for the Sony Xperia Z1

As we’ve mentioned quite a few times in the past, multiboot is quite the interesting … more

Samsung EFS Tool Updated to V5, Brings Universal Device Support

You may recall that we’ve talked about XDA Recognized Contributor … more

Say Goodbye to Holo Blue Once and for All

When Google released Android 4.4 KitKat back in October of last year, they changed quite a bit … more