XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

stolen TP in Jamaica looking for some help

Tip us?

Realistpm
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default stolen TP in Jamaica looking for some help

First day on vacation and our laptop and touchpad was stolen. Was wondering if I can remote install security on it to find it, lock it, use the camera or wipe it. Don't remember exactly which build is on it but it's an April ics nightly.

And yes, I'm an idiot for not having that stuff on before vacation but I'm trusting. Never again.

Have an appointment with head of security in the morning but I doubt anything will get resolved.

Please list options. If any. Thank you.

Argent36
Old
Thanks Meter 61

DONATE TO ME
not sure what apps you could install but if it's on and has a network connection you could always push apps from the Android market to the device

https://play.google.com/store

not much help I know but it's at least a start....
~Paul
Samsung GS 5 (VZW) - Stock
Nexus 7 - Rooted stock

My Vignette App photo gallery

Jotokun
Old
Thanks Meter 229
You could try installing this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...YnMucGxhbmIiXQ..

Its a find my phone/tablet solution that is intended to be installed after you lose the tablet. Since the Touchpad is wifi only, I wouldnt count on it unless you had the wifi set to never sleep, whoever took it never turned it off or rebooted to webOS, and it happened to be near wifi. But you never know, might get lucky.
Current phone - Nexus 4 16GB (CM10.1 RC2)
Current Tablet - Nexus 10 32GB (CM10.1 Nightly)
Previous devices - Motofail Backflip (CM7.2 Stable), Motofail Atrix 4G (CM10), HP Touchpad (CM9), Asus Transformer TF700 + dock (rooted stock ICS), Nook Color (CM7.1), Samsung Blackjack II (WinMo 6.1)

grannyrogers
Old
Thanks Meter 40

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistpm View Post
First day on vacation and our laptop and touchpad was stolen. Was wondering if I can remote install security on it to find it, lock it, use the camera or wipe it. Don't remember exactly which build is on it but it's an April ics nightly.

And yes, I'm an idiot for not having that stuff on before vacation but I'm trusting. Never again.

Have an appointment with head of security in the morning but I doubt anything will get resolved.

Please list options. If any. Thank you.
Dude sorry that happened to you. I am from Jamaica and am embarrassed. Was it stolen from your hotel room?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using xda premium

smac7
Old
Thanks Meter 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotokun View Post
You could try installing this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...YnMucGxhbmIiXQ..

Its a find my phone/tablet solution that is intended to be installed after you lose the tablet. Since the Touchpad is wifi only, I wouldnt count on it unless you had the wifi set to never sleep, whoever took it never turned it off or rebooted to webOS, and it happened to be near wifi. But you never know, might get lucky.
If the thief is very dumb (he probably is), he may have a chance. Hopefully his battery didn't die.

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey4life0099 View Post
If the thief is very dumb (he probably is), he may have a chance. Hopefully his battery didn't die.
Edit: just remembered our TP's do not have GPS which is going to decrease your chance of finding it.

Realistpm
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyrogers View Post
Dude sorry that happened to you. I am from Jamaica and am embarrassed. Was it stolen from your hotel room?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using xda premium
Correct, right out of our room. We were here about 4 hours.

Plan B works on GPS. Or did I read it wrong? Sorry, been limited time online as our phone chargers were stolen with the laptop bag and have only been able to get a little charge here and there from a friendly random person trying to help out. our phones haven't been being full charges.

Realistpm
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Is there something out there that I can download when it connects to wifi again that would lock it up?

rosystreasures
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Wow, I am with you...I had a tp "stolen" recently as well in the great old usa. Placed an ad on craigslist. Sold it really fast. However, whe I got to the bank to deposit the $250, I was informed all of the 20's were counterfeit! I did make a police report and bank report...
Thank you kindly,
Rosy

Sprint Galaxy Note 3
deciding to root or not to root

Realistpm
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosystreasures View Post
Wow, I am with you...I had a tp "stolen" recently as well in the great old usa. Placed an ad on craigslist. Sold it really fast. However, whe I got to the bank to deposit the $250, I was informed all of the 20's were counterfeit! I did make a police report and bank report...
There are Aholes everywhere. I'm not trying to single out the country, just point out my situation. We are here until sat night. Just doing what I can before we leave. with limited internet access and help.

chinkster
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Sorry man Its probably getting traded for some weed as we speak

HP Touchpad - CM9