Traveling overseas with Droid 3

OP romshark

23rd April 2012, 02:43 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6

39 posts
Getting ready to travel to the Philippines (with a stop in Japan airport.) What do I need to know about using my phone over there?

I already talked to Verizon, and got instructions. Dial *228 option 2 to update my PRL before I go, switch to global network in settings, and that calls will cost more (about $3 a minute in the Philippines.)

What I couldn't ask Verizon is if a custom ROM will affect me. I'm running MavRom 4.0. You guys think it's safe, or should I switch to stock rooted for my trip?

Also, I got a list from Verizon on how to dial numbers when I'm in Japan and Philippines. Do I need to dial any special numbers when texting? And I do know texting will cost a bit (50 cents outgoing, 5 cents incoming).

And finally, will my apps try to access the network and incur charges for me, like Facebook and Dropsync? Is there a way to deny them access when I'm out of Country and not in Wifi? Or should I uninstall the apps that access the net?
23rd April 2012, 03:58 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 214

1,821 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by romshark

And finally, will my apps try to access the network and incur charges for me, like Facebook and Dropsync? Is there a way to deny them access when I'm out of Country and not in Wifi? Or should I uninstall the apps that access the net?

Turn off data? That's what I'd do.
Turning off background data will prevent facebook and dropsync from working but you could still browse the web etc. But that'll also be the case for wifi
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleYouPee For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd April 2012, 05:53 PM   |  #3  
Flag Wichita KS
Thanks Meter: 263

1,916 posts
More
Turn off 3G completely. Your running a custom ROM should be fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrObvious For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread