Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,416 Members 39,691 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Threaded Group SMS!?

Tip us?

NextNexus
Old
(Last edited by NextNexus; 22nd April 2012 at 08:53 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 95
Default Threaded Group SMS!?

Can someone with the One X comment on whether or not the device supports threaded group SMS w/ iPhone and Blackberry users? My biggest gripe with the Galaxy Nexus was that when I received group SMS messages, it wouldn't show the group and threaded responses. Instead, it showed separate messages for each response from each user. Coming from an iPhone, this is a must have feature for me and I wanted to know if the One X supported it. Thanks.

b5t28
Old
Thanks Meter 1
If it doesn't there is an SMS app you can get that supports threaded group chat. Not sure of the name, but it's out there.

NextNexus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by b5t28 View Post
If it doesn't there is an SMS app you can get that supports threaded group chat. Not sure of the name, but it's out there.
None of them work well...I've tried them all with the Galaxy Nexus and that's why I got rid of it.

NextNexus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 95
I'm surprised there aren't more people who are concerned about having this feature.

b5t28
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextNexus View Post
I'm surprised there aren't more people who are concerned about having this feature.
I'm concerned, I'm coming from a blackberry and I use that function all the time. My One X is on order so if it doesn't, I'm SOL already haha

craig0r
Old
Thanks Meter 59
I sent out a massive group text when I got my phone to inform everyone of my new number, but the responses came back in their own threads.

It's not something I would utilize very often, so I'm not too concerned about finding an app to do it. I'm pretty happy with the stock Messaging app aside from this.
craig0r

Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 N5110 Stock 4.2.2 rooted
Rogers HTC One
HP Touchpad with CM10

NextNexus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig0r View Post
I sent out a massive group text when I got my phone to inform everyone of my new number, but the responses came back in their own threads.

It's not something I would utilize very often, so I'm not too concerned about finding an app to do it. I'm pretty happy with the stock Messaging app aside from this.
Thanks for letting me know about this. Just to confirm, there are no options to turn Group SMS (or MMS) on in the settings of the messaging app? I currently have many group chats with work colleagues as well as personal friends and this might be a deal killer for me (unfortunately).

redwreck
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Received messages go in their own threads, I've been looking in the settings and don't see a way to change that so far.

If your group consists solely of smartphone users, why not use whatsapp?

NextNexus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwreck View Post
Received messages go in their own threads, I've been looking in the settings and don't see a way to change that so far.

If your group consists solely of smartphone users, why not use whatsapp?
We used to but since everyone switch to the iPhone and Blackberry there has been no reason to. I'll be the first one in the "groups" to switch to Android and not having this basic functionality sucks. Even dumb phones are able to do this nowadays so I'm pretty disappointed.

craig0r
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextNexus View Post
We used to but since everyone switch to the iPhone and Blackberry there has been no reason to. I'll be the first one in the "groups" to switch to Android and not having this basic functionality sucks. Even dumb phones are able to do this nowadays so I'm pretty disappointed.
Well, at least BBM is coming to iOS and Android eventually. It's not much of a consolation, I'm sure, but at least it's something. (rumour alert! don't crucify me if it never happens! :P )
craig0r

Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 N5110 Stock 4.2.2 rooted
Rogers HTC One
HP Touchpad with CM10