Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,675 Members 46,669 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Master&Slave is coming!

Tip us?

kaishi00
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonyl View Post
My understanding is that a donation does not come with conditions of it's use, otherwise I would call that compensation or "prepayment" for services rendered.
well, what do you call the money you give to charity? donations right? and you expect them to do what they say they're going to do with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to kaishi00 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

unibomber
Old
Thanks Meter 27
At the end of the day you live and learn. If M&S was a stand up guy, he would just pass the phone off to another dev. If not, then you all have witnessed a "fool me once , shame on me" scenario.

pretty sad situation.

jpg71
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by unibomber View Post
If not, then you all have witnessed a "fool me once , shame on me" scenario.

zonyl
Old
(Last edited by zonyl; 23rd April 2012 at 03:53 PM.)
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishi00 View Post
well, what do you call the money you give to charity? donations right? and you expect them to do what they say they're going to do with it.
What exactly does United Way / Goodwill / etc. do with their donations?! Did they pay one of their executive bonuses with it that didnt deserve it? What control do you feel you have when donating to a charity? Usually when I give to charity I dont benefit in any direct way. Thus expecting someone to port a ROM for me with a "donation" doesnt seem right.

Further, Ill counter with another question: How does a developer receive gratis and not have to deal with managing peoples expectations?

I have been offered a lot of donations over the years and simply have to refuse them. Not because I wouldnt like to be acknowledged but because there doesnt seem to be a way to receive anything in thanks without hurting someones feelings.

If you have expectations from someone make it clear that it isnt donation and that you expect something in return for yourself.

wase4711
Old
Thanks Meter 3456

DONATE TO ME
way too much over analyzation going on about this..

folks donated, so someone could get a note, with the express expectations to use it to develop on this phone; Dev decides he doesn't like phone, the PROPER thing to do would be to donate it to a Dev who wants to Develop for this phone, NOT to sell it and pocket the money..

bad karma follows people who blatantly make bad decisions...
LG Flex
HTC One Maxx
Samsung Note2
Samsung Note
Samsung S3
HTC Evo 3d
HTC Evo 4g
Samsung G2
IBones 3,4
Palm Treo
PPC 6700
HP IPAQ
Moto StarTac's, several
BlackBerry's, several
and on and on...

unibomber
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg71 View Post
lmfao hahaha
The Following User Says Thank You to unibomber For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kornklown69
Old
Thanks Meter 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
way too much over analyzation going on about this..

folks donated, so someone could get a note, with the express expectations to use it to develop on this phone; Dev decides he doesn't like phone, the PROPER thing to do would be to donate it to a Dev who wants to Develop for this phone, NOT to sell it and pocket the money..

bad karma follows people who blatantly make bad decisions...
agreed so everyone fill his inbox up and ask for this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

kaishi00
Old
(Last edited by kaishi00; 23rd April 2012 at 04:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonyl View Post
What exactly does United Way / Goodwill / etc. do with their donations?! Did they pay one of their executive bonuses with it that didnt deserve it? What control do you feel you have when donating to a charity? Usually when I give to charity I dont benefit in any direct way. Thus expecting someone to port a ROM for me with a "donation" doesnt seem right.

Further, Ill counter with another question: How does a developer receive gratis and not have to deal with managing peoples expectations?

I have been offered a lot of donations over the years and simply have to refuse them. Not because I wouldnt like to be acknowledged but because there doesnt seem to be a way to receive anything in thanks without hurting someones feelings.

If you have expectations from someone make it clear that it isnt donation and that you expect something in return for yourself.
no, you call it a donation because you expect it to do good for the community, in our case, development for the note, for charities, it would be to help the homeless or whatever cause they're championing. that is what you expect for either of those cases. you can't call it prepayment for a service because others that have not and will not donate also benefits from people that did donate. the people that donated isn't paying for a product in the same sense as commissioning a piece of artwork from an artist. there's a big difference here.

about your specific examples of what those charities do with their donations, that is irrelevant. there are bad ones and there are good ones, they're not supposed to be pocketing donations, that's not what's expected of them.

borijess
Old
Thanks Meter 820
I just sent him a pm to donate it to Design Gears.

Sent from the TermiNOTEr!

s1mpd1ddy
Old
Thanks Meter 76
curious to get the OP's thoughts on this, where has he been?

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe