Some of Our Favorite Features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest major revision to Google’s mobile operating … more

Sony SmartEyeglass SDK Developer Preview Released

A little over a month ago in Tokyo, Japan, Sony unveiled its new SmartEyeglasstechnology. … more

XDA and Leaseweb: Server Trial/Moto 360 Contest (Winners!)

About a month ago, we held a contest along with XDA’s host, Leaseweb, to … more

Updated Android Lollipop Preview Images – XDA TV

The Android Lollipop Preview Images are now available! That and much more news is … more
Post Reply

[Q] root without downloading whole ROM

OP arpruss

23rd April 2012, 03:03 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 309
 
698 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Donate to Me
Is there a way I can root without downloading a whole rooted ROM? I don't want to do that for copyright reasons.

I searched and couldn't find an up-to-date insecure kernel for the E4GT (there is a ClockworkMod one from last year, but I expect that's too old). Since kernels are under GPL, modifying and re-distributing them (with source) is fair game.

p.s. I don't want this thread to switch to a discussion of the legal issues with copying and modifying the stock ROM. It may not be a big deal to many people, but I want to keep within the law as best I can.
23rd April 2012, 03:31 PM   |  #2  
timmetal6669's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag Redlands CA
Thanks Meter: 2,012
 
2,686 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up
Ya man head over to the developers section and download the e4gauto.bat file. That will auto root you from the existing rom you're on. It updates whatever stock kernel you have with a rooted stock kernel with CWM. from eg30 kernel to fd16 i think. Just make sure you have the drivers for your phone and plug it into the usb of your pc and go into applications on your phone to make sure you have usb debugging checks and accept files from unknown sources checked. Make sure your phone is not in usb mode and follow the prompts of the batch file. when it finishes running it will r boot your phone and you will have root and a custom recovery to flash roms with.
Last edited by timmetal6669; 23rd April 2012 at 03:34 PM.
23rd April 2012, 03:36 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 309
 
698 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmetal6669

Ya man head over to the developers section and download the e4gauto.bat file. That will auto root you from the existing rom you're on. It updates whatever stock kernel you have with a rooted stock kernel with CWM. from eg30 kernel to fd16 i think.

I think this doesn't work on EL29.
23rd April 2012, 03:55 PM   |  #4  
playya's Avatar
Senior Member
Florida
Thanks Meter: 2,018
 
5,948 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2007
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpruss

Is there a way I can root without downloading a whole rooted ROM? I don't want to do that for copyright reasons.

I searched and couldn't find an up-to-date insecure kernel for the E4GT (there is a ClockworkMod one from last year, but I expect that's too old). Since kernels are under GPL, modifying and re-distributing them (with source) is fair game.

p.s. I don't want this thread to switch to a discussion of the legal issues with copying and modifying the stock ROM. It may not be a big deal to many people, but I want to keep within the law as best I can.

What rom version do you have I believe its EL13 or lower sfhubs method does not require a rom to be downloaded...

Edit: sorry started this post 10 minutes ago and just saw responses... then your answer is No
23rd April 2012, 04:04 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,839
 
4,757 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2008
Based on your previous thread, you want your *initial* root to
1) avoid yellow triangle
2) avoid flash count
3) avoid using rooted ROM
4) root a ROM where there is no existing exploit

This is not possible.

If you are willing to concede on 1&2, then just ODIN flash any GB-based kernel repacked with CWM. They will work with any GB-based ROM. It will trigger the yellow triangle and increase your flash count. You will need to reset those by other means if you care about it. Either USB jig or upgrade to ICS and use Triangle Away.
23rd April 2012, 04:09 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 309
 
698 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub

Based on your previous thread, you want your *initial* root to
1) avoid yellow triangle
2) avoid flash count
3) avoid using rooted ROM
4) root a ROM where there is no existing exploit

This is not possible.

If you are willing to concede on 1&2, then just ODIN flash any GB-based kernel repacked with CWM. They will work with any GB-based ROM.

Thanks!

I actually don't care about 1, and I am willing to concede on 2, now that my 14-day in-store return period is almost over and I'm pretty happy with the phone (except maybe for a pinkish tinge along the middle section of the phone with the brightness turned very low with ScreenDim), which is why I asked this in a new thread.

I assume nobody has had any problems with flash-count and warranty service?

Where can I get an appropriate, safe, non-bricking GB-based kernel repacked with CWM?

Can I use Odin to back up the original kernel and restore it after rooting?
23rd April 2012, 04:18 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,839
 
4,757 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpruss

I assume nobody has had any problems with flash-count and warranty service?

Most of the time no problem, but sometimes yes. Depends on who you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpruss

Where can I get an appropriate, safe, non-bricking GB-based kernel repacked with CWM?

Use this:
http://chris41g.devphone.org/index.p...pack%2FEL26%2F

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpruss

Can I use Odin to back up the original kernel and restore it after rooting?

ODIN doesn't do backups. Your stock kernel is available in the Auto Root package (Option C) or in the Individual Components Reference Section (2nd Post) of the appropriate ODIN OneClick thread in my signature, provided here for your convenience:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=869
23rd April 2012, 04:29 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 309
 
698 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub

Most of the time no problem, but sometimes yes. Depends on who you get.

Does the jig work to reset flash count on 2.3.6? One site that sells jigs says it only does that on 2.3.4 and below.

Quote:

ODIN doesn't do backups. Your stock kernel is available in the Auto Root package (Option C) or in the Individual Components Reference Section (2nd Post) of the appropriate ODIN OneClick thread in my signature, provided here for your convenience:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=869

Thanks!

Presumably, I can also build it from source. :)
23rd April 2012, 04:32 PM   |  #9  
azyouthinkeyeiz's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 116
 
663 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
More
Wow. . Just wow.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
23rd April 2012, 04:33 PM   |  #10  
Robbzilla's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 26
 
175 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpruss

Thanks!

I actually don't care about 1, and I am willing to concede on 2, now that my 14-day in-store return period is almost over and I'm pretty happy with the phone (except maybe for a pinkish tinge along the middle section of the phone with the brightness turned very low with ScreenDim), which is why I asked this in a new thread.

I assume nobody has had any problems with flash-count and warranty service?

Where can I get an appropriate, safe, non-bricking GB-based kernel repacked with CWM?

Can I use Odin to back up the original kernel and restore it after rooting?

Go Spend $2 on ebay for a USB Jig. Best two bucks I ever spent.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes