Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,912 Members 40,334 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] root without downloading whole ROM

Tip us?

arpruss
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 309

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] root without downloading whole ROM

Is there a way I can root without downloading a whole rooted ROM? I don't want to do that for copyright reasons.

I searched and couldn't find an up-to-date insecure kernel for the E4GT (there is a ClockworkMod one from last year, but I expect that's too old). Since kernels are under GPL, modifying and re-distributing them (with source) is fair game.

p.s. I don't want this thread to switch to a discussion of the legal issues with copying and modifying the stock ROM. It may not be a big deal to many people, but I want to keep within the law as best I can.

timmetal6669
Old
(Last edited by timmetal6669; 23rd April 2012 at 03:34 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2010

DONATE TO ME
Ya man head over to the developers section and download the e4gauto.bat file. That will auto root you from the existing rom you're on. It updates whatever stock kernel you have with a rooted stock kernel with CWM. from eg30 kernel to fd16 i think. Just make sure you have the drivers for your phone and plug it into the usb of your pc and go into applications on your phone to make sure you have usb debugging checks and accept files from unknown sources checked. Make sure your phone is not in usb mode and follow the prompts of the batch file. when it finishes running it will r boot your phone and you will have root and a custom recovery to flash roms with.

arpruss
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 309

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmetal6669 View Post
Ya man head over to the developers section and download the e4gauto.bat file. That will auto root you from the existing rom you're on. It updates whatever stock kernel you have with a rooted stock kernel with CWM. from eg30 kernel to fd16 i think.
I think this doesn't work on EL29.

playya
Old
Thanks Meter 1848

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpruss View Post
Is there a way I can root without downloading a whole rooted ROM? I don't want to do that for copyright reasons.

I searched and couldn't find an up-to-date insecure kernel for the E4GT (there is a ClockworkMod one from last year, but I expect that's too old). Since kernels are under GPL, modifying and re-distributing them (with source) is fair game.

p.s. I don't want this thread to switch to a discussion of the legal issues with copying and modifying the stock ROM. It may not be a big deal to many people, but I want to keep within the law as best I can.
What rom version do you have I believe its EL13 or lower sfhubs method does not require a rom to be downloaded...

Edit: sorry started this post 10 minutes ago and just saw responses... then your answer is No
DeBloat your AOKP/CM10 fast and pain free click here
---------------------------------------------------
"Hey if you can type it you can search it" - Google is your friend - Let me Google that for you
--------------------------------------------------
Proud owner of a Nexus 4 on LiquidSmooth 2.5/Samsung Galaxy S2(AT&T)and Wifi Only Xoom

sfhub
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6830
Based on your previous thread, you want your *initial* root to
1) avoid yellow triangle
2) avoid flash count
3) avoid using rooted ROM
4) root a ROM where there is no existing exploit

This is not possible.

If you are willing to concede on 1&2, then just ODIN flash any GB-based kernel repacked with CWM. They will work with any GB-based ROM. It will trigger the yellow triangle and increase your flash count. You will need to reset those by other means if you care about it. Either USB jig or upgrade to ICS and use Triangle Away.
Disclaimer: No touchscreens were harmed nor injured during the creation of this post. GPS units were all treated ethically and humanely.
Signed: People against misbehaving Nexus 7 2013s

arpruss
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 309

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
Based on your previous thread, you want your *initial* root to
1) avoid yellow triangle
2) avoid flash count
3) avoid using rooted ROM
4) root a ROM where there is no existing exploit

This is not possible.

If you are willing to concede on 1&2, then just ODIN flash any GB-based kernel repacked with CWM. They will work with any GB-based ROM.
Thanks!

I actually don't care about 1, and I am willing to concede on 2, now that my 14-day in-store return period is almost over and I'm pretty happy with the phone (except maybe for a pinkish tinge along the middle section of the phone with the brightness turned very low with ScreenDim), which is why I asked this in a new thread.

I assume nobody has had any problems with flash-count and warranty service?

Where can I get an appropriate, safe, non-bricking GB-based kernel repacked with CWM?

Can I use Odin to back up the original kernel and restore it after rooting?

sfhub
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6830
Quote:
Most of the time no problem, but sometimes yes. Depends on who you get.

Quote:
Where can I get an appropriate, safe, non-bricking GB-based kernel repacked with CWM?
Use this:
http://chris41g.devphone.org/index.p...pack%2FEL26%2F

Quote:
ODIN doesn't do backups. Your stock kernel is available in the Auto Root package (Option C) or in the Individual Components Reference Section (2nd Post) of the appropriate ODIN OneClick thread in my signature, provided here for your convenience:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=869
Disclaimer: No touchscreens were harmed nor injured during the creation of this post. GPS units were all treated ethically and humanely.
Signed: People against misbehaving Nexus 7 2013s

arpruss
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 309

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
Most of the time no problem, but sometimes yes. Depends on who you get.
Does the jig work to reset flash count on 2.3.6? One site that sells jigs says it only does that on 2.3.4 and below.

Quote:
ODIN doesn't do backups. Your stock kernel is available in the Auto Root package (Option C) or in the Individual Components Reference Section (2nd Post) of the appropriate ODIN OneClick thread in my signature, provided here for your convenience:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=869
Thanks!

Presumably, I can also build it from source. :)

azyouthinkeyeiz
Old
Thanks Meter 116
Wow. . Just wow.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Robbzilla
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Thanks!

I actually don't care about 1, and I am willing to concede on 2, now that my 14-day in-store return period is almost over and I'm pretty happy with the phone (except maybe for a pinkish tinge along the middle section of the phone with the brightness turned very low with ScreenDim), which is why I asked this in a new thread.

Go Spend $2 on ebay for a USB Jig. Best two bucks I ever spent.