5,593,650 Members 39,479 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Verizon force removing grandfathered "Unlimited Data"

Tip us?

techmatlock
Old
Thanks Meter 110
Not surprising in the least. Sprint will have to soon end too and remove grandfathered unlimited. Aside from that though, thanks for this update.

jman42028
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I wouldn't read a ton into all this stuff. And I don't know how good of an idea it is to publish someones personal/professional contact info for them on any forum...

I worked with verizon for a while, and on a daily basis I was upgrading phones and allowing customers to keep these 5 or 6 year old alltel rate plans.

It is absolutely correct that verizon can remove unlimited from grandfathered accounts if it wants to, but verizon's course of action with old alltel plans and the like, suggest that it won't happen.

I'm not saying it will or wont happen, all I'm saying is that its definitely possible that they will allow you to keep unlimited data, as long as you are playing nice and not DLing 100 gb's a month on their network.

boosterp
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I love all the misinformation, conjecture, an the posting of a professional email, signs of the derogation of society.

First: Yes VZW is charging an upgade fee. To say everyone is doing it is a cop out. To say that they are loosing money on equipment subsidies is true and the fee helps recap som of the cost while keeping prices competitive even with their own indirect partners.

Second, the only time you can loose a grandfathered plan per contractual agreement is a) older Altel devices that upgrade or change devices because there is no longer an Altel contract. b) you change to a basic (from smart) phone for over 30 days or c) you agree to it.

There are no exceptions to the three listed above.
Don't believe me: 1800-922-0204 and ask for the loyalty department.

4ktvs
Old
Thanks Meter 37
I love all the verizon fan boys who think they are the best and they would NEVER pull some thing over them like: taking away unlimited data, THROTTLING or the $30 "upgrade" fee.

The contract only lets you keep grandfathered plan's for the lenth of time you signed up for (AKA 2 years) and then They can make you sign a new contract with out unlimited data if you want to upgrade and if you don't upgrade, then they can just take it away.

Why is so easy for me to type this you may ask? Becuase they throttled me at 12Gb and now I can't go over about 10-15gb with out ricking this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCbvD...hannel&list=UL

P.S I sit at 65GB on AT&T and no throttling. Eat that verizon
Phones right now:
Samsung galaxy S2 On At&t

Verizon galaxy S4, S3 is non active.

Cell phones before: Motorola KRZR K1

Droid RAZR on verizon x2: It went Back to verizon, because IT SUCKED!!!!!!!!

Samsung galaxy S3 on US cellular with 4G LTE Unlimited data. ( Max was 21/10 avg was 5-8 down and 2-4 up) Only had it for a day

Tastywheat
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I really came in under the wire on this one. I upgraded about three months ago; still have my unlimited data. I never really understood why providers are simply eliminating unlimited plans rather than charging exorbitant amounts of money which plenty of people would pay.

zero visual
Old
Thanks Meter 1
do you expect anything less of Verizon?

4ktvs
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero visual View Post
do you expect anything less of Verizon?
Nope, this is what I think they will do. They are thinking about razing the price up as well to get every one off of it, like AT&T did the $20 unlimited to 30, but with more kick. I have herd every thing from 30 going up to 50, all the way to it replacing the 20GB plan.

Any way: They are going to do some thing soon and well I will just say it's not likely going to be good.
Phones right now:
Samsung galaxy S2 On At&t

Verizon galaxy S4, S3 is non active.

Cell phones before: Motorola KRZR K1

Droid RAZR on verizon x2: It went Back to verizon, because IT SUCKED!!!!!!!!

Samsung galaxy S3 on US cellular with 4G LTE Unlimited data. ( Max was 21/10 avg was 5-8 down and 2-4 up) Only had it for a day

DavidinCT
Old
Thanks Meter 149

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosterp View Post
I love all the misinformation, conjecture, an the posting of a professional email, signs of the derogation of society.

First: Yes VZW is charging an upgade fee. To say everyone is doing it is a cop out. To say that they are loosing money on equipment subsidies is true and the fee helps recap som of the cost while keeping prices competitive even with their own indirect partners.

Second, the only time you can loose a grandfathered plan per contractual agreement is a) older Altel devices that upgrade or change devices because there is no longer an Altel contract. b) you change to a basic (from smart) phone for over 30 days or c) you agree to it.

There are no exceptions to the three listed above.
Don't believe me: 1800-922-0204 and ask for the loyalty department.
Pretty much the exact thing I heard when I called them a few weeks ago. I've been out of a contract for almost 6 years now (just lucky that my phone breaks when they dont have any more and get a free upgrade). I currently have a HTC Trophy with Windows Phone 7 and dont have a newer one because they have not gotten newer WP7 devices, YET.

I called them up and was asking on new devices and presented them with the same question. According to Verizon, I can buy a new Smartphone today, sign a new 2 year agreement and I still will not lose my unlimited data plan according to them.

Of course the day I do it, that will be my first question and will ask for it in writing
If this post helped, PLEASE HIT THANKS !!!!

Thanks !

cell128
Old
Thanks Meter 137
As of this moment you are not forced off of your unlimited plan when upgrading phones or switching between current phones

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Thalinor
Old
(Last edited by Thalinor; 25th April 2012 at 06:06 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman42028 View Post
I wouldn't read a ton into all this stuff. And I don't know how good of an idea it is to publish someones personal/professional contact info for them on any forum...

I worked with verizon for a while, and on a daily basis I was upgrading phones and allowing customers to keep these 5 or 6 year old alltel rate plans.

It is absolutely correct that verizon can remove unlimited from grandfathered accounts if it wants to, but verizon's course of action with old alltel plans and the like, suggest that it won't happen.

I'm not saying it will or wont happen, all I'm saying is that its definitely possible that they will allow you to keep unlimited data, as long as you are playing nice and not DLing 100 gb's a month on their network.

So it's ok for Verizon to publish her information on their public website, but not for me to copy and paste it from that site to this one? I will edit this post later to provid the direct link to Verizon's corporate PUBLIC website that lists this PUBLIC information. As a "former Verizon employee" you should know all about their public site and what's listed on it. Even if it wasn't Verizon does not respect its customers so I have no respect for their employees at the upper level management.

I will get you that link tomorrow (today really, but later). My nephew is having a bad night teething and is co sleeping next to me so this post is on my device not a pc or I would do it now.

Fyi I have never gone over 5gb on my cell. I don't abuse my unlimited. Oh and I am rooted and can tether for free. Not everyone deserves to be ppunished for the crimes of a few. Wish VZW would figure that out but in reality people abusing unlimited is just an excuse to increase profits, which gets their CEO a bigger bonus. It's all about the money. Corporate Greed.