Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,914 Members 45,602 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Lumia 900 Battery Life

Tip us?

bbtm
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Being puzzled by the change in battery life, I took the plunge and did a full reset on the phone. I then recreated my email account (one exchange, one Hotmail both setup to download mail every 30min), connected to windows life but did not setup or use any app. I’m still using that microcell in my office and have wifi turned on.
The battery diagnostic consistently showed around 95 mA which should equal to about 20 hours on a charge.
Then I tried to take a picture and the phone requested to turn location on. I did that and the battery discharge current – was back consistently to the 350-400 mA.
Turning location back off brought the discharge rate back down to 95 mA.
I had tried turning off the location service before doing a full reset but it didn’t help. Could this mean that some apps use it even if it’s off?
My plan is to start re-installing one app at a time and keep monitoring the battery to see if I can find a clear culprit.

alodar1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm View Post
Being puzzled by the change in battery life, I took the plunge and did a full reset on the phone. I then recreated my email account (one exchange, one Hotmail both setup to download mail every 30min), connected to windows life but did not setup or use any app. Iím still using that microcell in my office and have wifi turned on.
The battery diagnostic consistently showed around 95 mA which should equal to about 20 hours on a charge.
Then I tried to take a picture and the phone requested to turn location on. I did that and the battery discharge current Ė was back consistently to the 350-400 mA.
Turning location back off brought the discharge rate back down to 95 mA.
I had tried turning off the location service before doing a full reset but it didnít help. Could this mean that some apps use it even if itís off?
My plan is to start re-installing one app at a time and keep monitoring the battery to see if I can find a clear culprit.
Go for it man....

I've done this too, though not on this device....but I learned exactly what you are intending to find out.

First, there are indeed system combinations that play better together. Period.
There are comibinations that once turned on, are very difficult, if not impossible to turn off.

The same is true for apps. There are some wonderful apps out there. There are some horrible apps out there. But, again, some of these apps, in combination with the system have varying degrees of 'efficency'.

This part really makes me laugh though. People downgrade windows phone because of the size of the marketplace. You can't put 450k apps on your phone. You find the app that works for you, and you continually use it. This is demonstrated everyday by various comments, usually by newbs, here and on various forums.

My 'research' told me:
  • load only the apps you use regularly
  • do pay attention to data use
  • do pay attention to battery life
  • be aware what each app uses. Location is used by alot of apps and does use alot of power
  • Free apps use alot of battery life because of the ads. There are some nice articles talking about battery life and ads in apps across all platforms. DO NOT IGNORE THIS.
  • Uninstalling an app does not always reset the system back tothe way it was.
  • Sometimes ONLY a factory reset will reset your system correctly.
  • Consider using Reinstaller to pick and choose your apps. It makes the ability to hard reset easy to stomach.
  • Use the cloud for your pictures and docs. This makes having to hard reset a little easier to stomach

Another thing, monitor the amount of LIve tiles you actually use. I recall this being an issue when the first v1 phones came out. I can't imagine the issue went away. Microsoft tried to choose a balance between the amount of information you might want to see vs. the impact on battery life. Most people ignored the part about battery life...and insisted on dozens of live tiles.

Anyway, share what you find out. We can all use that information...and whenyou find an app that devours battery...make sure you put that in the app review...others need to know this...

Good luck.
Regards

@Alodar1

Device Graveyard:
Nokia 925, Nokia Lumia 900, HTX 8x, Motorola Xoom, Focus S, Lumia 710, Dell Venue Pro, HD7, Droid Bionic, T-MobileG2x, HTC Sensation, HD2, Nexus One, Cliq, MyTouch 3g, TP2, AT&T Pure, Xperia 1, AT&T Fuze, Touch Dual, Hermes
The Following User Says Thank You to alodar1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bbtm
Old
Thanks Meter 0
@alodar1
I think you’re spot on. I was going to re-install WP Shortcut Tiles but realized that it uses the location service. So instead I installed Toggle which only claims to use data services. I setup two shortcuts, one for Wifi and one for Airplane Mode and the battery discharge rate shoot up to 450 mA.
Luckily an uninstalled and soft reset seems to have brought me back down to the 95 mA range.
I think this really illustrates your point about making sure you need the app. If I can keep the phone at the 95 mA range with wifi and 4g on, why would I ever turn them off (except getting on an airplane). So why would I need the shortcut.

godfa7h3r
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Got my white Lumia 900 on Friday 4/20. Charged it that night and then used it all weekend fairly heavily. Wifi also on the entire time.

Been off the charger for 36 hours and I still have 10% left. No possible way my original Focus would have even come close to that. I'm very happy with that kind of battery life.
Current Device: Nokia Lumia 900 White
Device History: Dozens of "dumb phones" > Palm Treo 600 > Cingular 8125 > AT&T Tilt > AT&T Fuze > AT&T Tilt 2 > Samsung Focus

jimski
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Dunno. Just opened Diagnostics and watched the meter for a minute. Hovered between 106 and 137, averaging about 125. It did shoot up to 237-242 for about 10 seconds and then back down again. So lets say an average of 150.

LTE, WiFi on. Location on. Five email syncs, two push. Eight active background tasks and many other Live Tiles using push. I am sure the majority of that average 150 was for the beautiful screen I was gazing at.

Still testing, but so far my drain while the phone is idle has been between 3-4% per hour. Turning WiFi off when my month resets on the 26th to test LTE data usage. Expect the number to drop a little.

The biggest drain while the phone is idle (which is the majority of the time) is your data connection. MicroCells seem to be killing the L900. Don't know why. Things like tiles, email, location, etc., don't amount to all that much by the end of the day. Maybe 15-18% tops. But they add so much to the experience, I am not willing to compromise.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
AT&T Nokia Lumia 900 - Black - OS; 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084

AT&T HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502

ljwnow
Old
Thanks Meter 138
Lumia 900 is the worst phone I've ever had. I want to get rid of it. Let me know if anyone is interested. It's like brand new.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

jimski
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljwnow View Post
Lumia 900 is the worst phone I've ever had. I want to get rid of it. Let me know if anyone is interested. It's like brand new.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
Guess you can't please all of the people all of the time. Thoroughly enjoying mine. Hope you find what you are looking for.

AT&T Nokia Lumia 900 - Black - OS; 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084

AT&T HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502

ragingclue
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimski View Post
Guess you can't please all of the people all of the time. Thoroughly enjoying mine. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Don't bother responding to the troll; she's already been at it in other threads in the Lumia subforums. Sad that trolls even troll xda; they should relegate themselves to the fan sites, not this one.
AT&T blows.

SLVR-->OG iPhone-->iPhone 3g-->iPhone 3GS-->HTC Fuze-->N1-->BB 9000-->Craptivate-->SGSII I777-->Surround-->iP4S-->Lumia 900-->SGH-I747-->SGH-I317 / iP5-->Lumia 920

Some others I can't remember as well.

alodar1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm View Post
@alodar1
I think youíre spot on. I was going to re-install WP Shortcut Tiles but realized that it uses the location service. So instead I installed Toggle which only claims to use data services. I setup two shortcuts, one for Wifi and one for Airplane Mode and the battery discharge rate shoot up to 450 mA.
Luckily an uninstalled and soft reset seems to have brought me back down to the 95 mA range.
I think this really illustrates your point about making sure you need the app. If I can keep the phone at the 95 mA range with wifi and 4g on, why would I ever turn them off (except getting on an airplane). So why would I need the shortcut.
Just to follow up on what has been said by all, I hard reset my device and loaded only the apps I realistically use on a daily basis. They are: Skydrive, Starbucks card, wordament, Toggle, Angry Birds, Flowerz, Cloud music, Nokia Maps and drive, Skype, Bank of America, Creative Studio, Facebook, Twitter and Flixster.

Phone came off the charger at 630am. Its now 130pm...7 hrs? Battery charge is at 93%. I've had 2 phone calls, and a several dozen texts, and a little Internet.. WiFi is on, BT is off.

I just loaded the AccuWeather app. I use Accuweather because it predicts the weather more to my liking. Since I have had the weather app on, my Battery has dropped 2%...maybe....3 minutes?

I use most of my battery in the evening.....just before bed.....So...I'm not really concerned about daytime use. But, this battery sure lasts a while....and I think its because of the apps we load more than a lot of other things.
Regards

@Alodar1

Device Graveyard:
Nokia 925, Nokia Lumia 900, HTX 8x, Motorola Xoom, Focus S, Lumia 710, Dell Venue Pro, HD7, Droid Bionic, T-MobileG2x, HTC Sensation, HD2, Nexus One, Cliq, MyTouch 3g, TP2, AT&T Pure, Xperia 1, AT&T Fuze, Touch Dual, Hermes

Seed 2.0
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I have 106 apps/games on my phone.
I have 44 tiles on home screen.
I have 3 push emails as soon as they arrive.
I have 7 active background task & 27 advanced background task.
HSPA+ Connection, with WiFi and Messenger active.
Location services on.
I stream 1.5-2 hours of music ~5 days a week through headphones, at work.
I check Windows Phone News app 5 times a day and follow the stories where they take me.
On a work day in horrible service area I use about 40% battery power over 9 hours. The next 6-7 hours at home .2 miles from tower I use another 10%, unless I play a game for a couple hours on phone, then Ill have 20% left when I start charging it.
On days off in my neighborhood, I will have 60% left when I go to bed at night.

For my free accessory from Nokia/At&t I chose the Mophie 4,000mAh 2.1A back up battery. I haven't used it once due to need, just to cycle juice through it to keep it fresh. This phones battery life is so far been outstanding.