5,596,179 Members 34,369 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Hard bricked during CM9 upgrade from UCLD3 Leak?!

Tip us?

capathy21
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Awesome thanks for that info

avus_m3
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Forgot to mention, I stopped by the service center Friday and picked up what appears to be a new phone (not refurbished)! Not only that...after talking to the girl behind the counter she hooked me up with a new (spare) battery shipped to my house. Time to root and get back on CM9 (or AOKP). From now on the only "leak" I will have is the one I leave in the toilet.

w1209
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Just thought I'd post an update on my hard bricked phone:
Josh from Mobile Tech Videos got a chance to look at my phone today and according to him the eMMC chip is toast. He was unable to recover it using JTAG. Could it just have been a coincidence that several people hard bricked around the same time or did flashing have something to do with the eMMC chip becoming defective?
Will take my phone back to an ATT service center as soon as I get it back. I don't think I will have much of an issue getting a replacement
The Following User Says Thank You to w1209 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

avus_m3
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Wow...good thing your covered.

nakedninja42
Old
Thanks Meter 698

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1209 View Post
Josh from Mobile Tech Videos got a chance to look at my phone today and according to him the eMMC chip is toast. He was unable to recover it using JTAG. Could it just have been a coincidence that several people hard bricked around the same time or did flashing have something to do with the eMMC chip becoming defective?
Will take my phone back to an ATT service center as soon as I get it back. I don't think I will have much of an issue getting a replacement
Thanks for letting us know, shouldn't be a problem getting a replacement. Best of luck!
Phone: Nexus 5 stock 4.4 with ART

Tablet: Nexus 7 stock 4.4

Wife: Nexus 5 stock 4.4 / Kindle Fire otter CM 10.1.3 4.2.2

Old: HTC Pure; Samsung SGH-I897; Samsung GT-P7510; Samsung SGH-I777

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 23396

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1209 View Post
Right now, the general consensus is:
With the exception of I9100 leaks and kernels built from I9100 update4 sources, Samsung ICS kernels for Exynos4 devices have a SERIOUS bug that causes them to do permanent damage to the eMMC chip. This is most likely to occur when doing a major erase operation (such as a wipe in CWM, but a wipe/factory reset in stock 3e recovery is likely to be just as dangerous)
This includes kernels from:
All Epic 4G Touch ICS leaks
All GT-N7000 (International Note) ICS leaks
The UCLD3 I777 leak (probably all of the I777 ICS leaks)
Anything built from the Korean SHW-M250S/K/L bases - this is why there was just a rash of hardbricks with SiyahKernel 3.1rc6 - it was based off of the Korean M250L sources.

Right now the suspicion is that it is due to this:
https://github.com/Entropy512/kernel...d5e13#L10R1881

Samsung attempted to fix it with:
https://github.com/Entropy512/kernel...7e4c0e68701b8e

but they only disabled TRIM and not ERASE (which are related)

Unfortunately there's no way to test this without risk of hardware damage... you can't declare something fixed unless you can reproduce the problem - but you can reproduce this problem once per device repair. So really only Samsung can declare it fixed - but then they'd have to actually interface with the development community.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kLAcK107
Old
(Last edited by kLAcK107; 30th April 2012 at 07:50 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5
I also got this hard brick.

I flashed from LD3 to Showstock2 to LD3 over the course of the week.Today I tried to goto AKOP.

The phone will not turn on, and charging it just makes it hot.

UPDATE:
Got a new phone from AT&T no charge, within 30 days

w1209
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for the info Entropy, that makes sense.

I was able to get a replacement from the AT&T Service Center. Since my battery was fully drained they also sent me a replacement, so now I have two batteries as well as a new phone

jsquaredgto
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by avus_m3 View Post
Wow...good thing your covered.
Definetely good, nice having that coverage

Dux302
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Hoping to offer what I did just in case I can help anyone with a possible bricking situation.
This afternoon I wanted to install a non-secure email client to remove that stupid password but in doing so through CWM I was never able to power back up. The phone had similar symptoms to what people are saying here.
I wasnt able to boot up to do anythign useful to my phone so I tried to flash the stock kernel (The one Entropy has listed) through Odin and while that seemed to work the one would still not come up completely. It was in a rolling reboot until I booted up in the Stock recovery and did a factory reset/clear data... At that point the phone came back up and I was able to root it again and then restore my AOKP nandroid.

I know these are trivial steps and the symptoms for me may be different but just in case they can help someone I posted them.