Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,099 Members 45,763 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] root without downloading whole ROM

Tip us?
 
arpruss
Old
#11  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 309
Posts: 695
Join Date: Jul 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
By the way, I had a quick look at Samsung's official warranty information, and it says nothing about it being voided by rooting or other unauthorized modifications. Of course, it exempts "defects or damage resulting from improper testing, operation, maintenance, installation, service, or adjustment not furnished or approved by SAMSUNG", but that's only applicable when the damage results from rooting.

Of course, Sprint does have the authority to cut off one's service for rooting (or for any other thing they see fit).
 
sfhub
Old
#12  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6830
Posts: 4,757
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpruss View Post
Does the jig work to reset flash count on 2.3.6? One site that sells jigs says it only does that on 2.3.4 and below.
Has nothing to do with Android ROM version. It has to do with your bootloader version. If your phone came with EK02 or EL29, jig will not reset stats, but will get you to ODIN download mode. You'll need to flash EG30/31 bootloader to restore functionality. Look in the wiki if you need it.
Disclaimer: No touchscreens were harmed nor injured during the creation of this post. GPS units were all treated ethically and humanely.
Signed: People against misbehaving Nexus 7 2013s
 
arpruss
Old
#13  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 309
Posts: 695
Join Date: Jul 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
Has nothing to do with Android ROM version. It has to do with your bootloader version. If your phone came with EK02 or EL29, jig will not reset stats, but will get you to ODIN download mode. You'll need to flash EG30/31 bootloader to restore functionality. Look in the wiki if you need it.
Ah, but that then runs into my pickiness about copyright, because presumably the bootloader is copyrighted by Samsung, and is not under the GPL. :(

Well, maybe I just need to take my risk about warranty.
 
sfhub
Old
#14  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6830
Posts: 4,757
Join Date: Oct 2008
There can be a difference between what the warranty says (or what is enforceable) and what your real-life experience is.

That is why I said most of the time no problem, but sometimes yes. The people you communicate with are humans and they don't always interpret the same set of rules the same way.

What is written is theoretically what you would eventually end up with, either right from the beginning or after some amount of back-and-forth.

This is just to let you have the information so you can make your own informed decision.
Disclaimer: No touchscreens were harmed nor injured during the creation of this post. GPS units were all treated ethically and humanely.
Signed: People against misbehaving Nexus 7 2013s
 
arpruss
Old
#15  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 309
Posts: 695
Join Date: Jul 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
There can be a difference between what the warranty says (or what is enforceable) and what your real-life experience is.
How true.

Has anybody had their service with Sprint cut off over rooting?
 
kingdazy
Old
(Last edited by kingdazy; 23rd April 2012 at 06:45 PM.)
#16  
kingdazy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 669
Posts: 1,603
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpruss View Post
How true.

Has anybody had their service with Sprint cut off over rooting?
I have personally never once heard of this actually happening, not over rooting alone. (over things that are achieved through rooting, like excessive tethering/data usage/forced roaming, yes)
And in fact, I've very rarely heard of sprint enforcing warr issues over it either, as long as one is smart.

(edit) I'm actually curious about your aversion to copyright issues and using custom ROMs?
(more edit) ah, didn't read your "ps". never mind, even though I'm still fascinated.

Sent from my calculator watch.
Samsung Galaxy Note III
Rooted and ready! Too easy!
Running ☆ ★ Something from this section!! ★ ☆ (usually stock/rooted)
ASUS Transformer Prime TF201 - AndroidWookie FTW!!
 
arpruss
Old
(Last edited by arpruss; 27th April 2012 at 08:33 PM.)
#17  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 309
Posts: 695
Join Date: Jul 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
After further investigation, it looks like I can't find a fully legal and safe way to root.

I thought that installing an insecure kernel would do the job. But unfortunately the initramfs inside the zImage includes, in addition to the GPL Linux kernel itself, Samsung-copyrighted non-GPL code, such as redbend_ua, various Samsung-copyrighted image files and customized .rc scripts. So it looks like I can't legally download an insecure kernel.

I could build one myself, copying the files that will go into initramfs from my phone, and modifying to make it insecure.

But the problem is that this is unsafe, as I will have no way of restoring the stock kernel if I screw up in building the kernel, since there does not appear to be any legally available download of the stock kernel anywhere. (Check FUS doesn't seem capable of downloading EL29, but in any case in the US there are legal issues--DMCA--with Check FUS's decryption.) And without root, I cannot simply dump the kernel from the device using dd--if I could, that would solve the problem.

So, here's my question: Does anyone know any legal way of restoring the stock EL29 kernel (i.e., without downloading the stock firmware from an unauthorized location)?

This is really frustrating. I am not a lawyer, but it looks like one needs to be one to figure out how to root a device properly. Of course, I expect people think I am nitpicking. (But then again, I am a professional nitpicker in my day job.)
 
j_shelton1988
Old
(Last edited by j_shelton1988; 27th April 2012 at 09:44 PM.)
#18  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 104
Posts: 474
Join Date: Jan 2011
May i ask what is the reason for wanting to go through all this hassle to root your phone "legally"?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
 
Epix4G
Old
#19  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1034
Posts: 2,634
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: phoenix
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpruss View Post
After further investigation, it looks like I can't find a fully legal and safe way to root.

I thought that installing an insecure kernel would do the job. But unfortunately the initramfs inside the zImage includes, in addition to the GPL Linux kernel itself, Samsung-copyrighted non-GPL code, such as redbend_ua, various Samsung-copyrighted image files and customized .rc scripts. So it looks like I can't legally download an insecure kernel.

I could build one myself, copying the files that will go into initramfs from my phone, and modifying to make it insecure.

But the problem is that this is unsafe, as I will have no way of restoring the stock kernel if I screw up in building the kernel, since there does not appear to be any legally available download of the stock kernel anywhere. (Check FUS doesn't seem capable of downloading EL29, but in any case in the US there are legal issues--DMCA--with Check FUS's decryption.) And without root, I cannot simply dump the kernel from the device using dd--if I could, that would solve the problem.

So, here's my question: Does anyone know any legal way of restoring the stock EL29 kernel (i.e., without downloading the stock firmware from an unauthorized location)?

This is really frustrating. I am not a lawyer, but it looks like one needs to be one to figure out how to root a device properly. Of course, I expect people think I am nitpicking. (But then again, I am a professional nitpicker in my day job.)
Yes download it strait from Samsung as they have to post the firmware online as its open source...
https://opensource.samsung.com/index...669F0AC57CBFC8
Scroll down to sph-d710 there you can get it from them but technically everything in Android is OPEn source except the drivers....
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
 
JDinAZ74
Old
#20  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 109
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta
I don't know why I find this thread so interesting.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Browse the Internet with the Innovative Atlas Web Browser

For the most part, Chrome, Firefox, and Dolphin Browser have no real rivals among … more

Choose from Over a Thousand Battery Styles with 3Minit Battery Mod

The battery style in stock Android looks pretty dull. It doesn’t … more

Organize Your Cloud Storage Files with Unclouded

Cloud storage services like Dropbox or Google Drive have grown in popularity dramatically … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Blur Your System Notification Panel – XDA Developer TV

Listen, we love innovative applications and modules that … more