Need help! Can't boot phone

OP andddlay

22nd April 2012, 02:17 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

102 posts
Hello all! I've been trying to fix my phone for a few days, and can't seem to do it, so I thought I'd make a post regarding it.

I believe the beginning of this originated after trying to go back to gingerbread from fc15 ICS. To learn from my mistakes, this is NOT good, right? lol. probably because fc15 wasn't made for gingerbread?

I was able to get into CWM, but I couldn't perform a recovery or install a new ROM. At this time (after trying a whole bunch of things to fix my device), I may or may not be rooted, but I'm almost certain I am not because I can't get into CWM. If I have to lose all of my data, I guess I will (I didn't have an SD card at the time - just got one), but if there's any way I would like to keep my data. Also, at this point, I'm at the "formware upgrade encountered an issue. please select revoery mode in kies and try again". I have been able to get rid of this screen in the past, but I'd like to know the best rout to go from here.

I have read about bricked devices for awhile now, but to attempt to link the hazy definition I have with experience, is my device bricked?

Please help me!

Thank you.

tf201
Last edited by andddlay; 22nd April 2012 at 02:20 AM.
22nd April 2012, 02:50 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

102 posts
I'm sorry, just now seeing the sticky regarding bricked device prevention. But I'd like to know how to identify a bricked device (besides not being able to do anything at all - which isn't my case), and if I have any option at this point.

tf201
22nd April 2012, 02:56 AM   |  #3  
Flag NE Pennsylvania Boonies
Thanks Meter: 401

1,144 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andddlay

I'm sorry, just now seeing the sticky regarding bricked device prevention. But I'd like to know how to identify a bricked device (besides not being able to do anything at all - which isn't my case), and if I have any option at this point.

tf201

If you can get into download mode then Odin back to el26 like most instructions say to. Once you have a working GB then you can make a decision on where to go from there. Others might have better advice as that's gonna kill all you're data.

Swyped from my E4GT running Blazer 4.1 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to CyberpodS2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd April 2012, 05:42 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

102 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberpodS2

If you can get into download mode then Odin back to el26 like most instructions say to. Once you have a working GB then you can make a decision on where to go from there. Others might have better advice as that's gonna kill all you're data.

thanks for the reply! after flashing stockcwm-el26, i was able to get back into cwm. however, from there i'm still having trouble. it will not boo. i'm still going to try a whole bunch of stuff lol

tf201
Last edited by andddlay; 22nd April 2012 at 05:59 AM.
22nd April 2012, 06:51 AM   |  #5  

1,144 posts
More
Hopefully someone will comment on my suggestion... If you can get into cwm then I would use calc's format all zip then flash a ROM that has a great record of smooth install.I personally have never had a problem with Blazer so that's what I would flash. Like I said, hopefully someone will either agree or have a better solution before you go with my idea. Good luck and make sure if you get it going you share your leanings!

22nd April 2012, 09:53 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 327

1,035 posts
More
Best bet is to download one of sfhub's one click root methods since your phone can still get into download mode. Doesn't matter what u already have on ur phone as his method will wipe all and replace all as long as you can get into download mode with your computer recognizing ur phone.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA
Last edited by dante32278; 22nd April 2012 at 10:28 AM.
22nd April 2012, 10:52 AM   |  #7  

1,144 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dante32278

Best bet is to download one of sfhub's one click root methods since your phone can still get into download mode. Doesn't matter what u already have on ur phone as his method will wipe all and replace all as long as you can get into download mode with your computer recognizing ur phone.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

Yea what he said... Much easier than screwing around with flashing stuff like I suggested.

23rd April 2012, 05:05 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

102 posts
sorry for responding so late!

thank you both very much. i tried the program, and was still unable to recover the device - it always hung right at the end, unfortunately. a replacement device is in the mail, and i should get it very soon (thankfully for free).

another question i suppose i would like to ask...on cwm, it says i can mount internal storage as a mass-storage-device. when i try to do this, nothing pops up. is there a way to do this and, potentially, recovering my data?

tf201

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread