No registration required

Screen Flicker - Response from HTC

OP jsmith_00

23rd April 2012, 05:33 PM   |  #341  
Thanks Meter: 36

644 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo6

I'm on 6th handset. All of the other ones had flicker, i think most of the ones in the UK have flicker problems because 2 is a coincidence 6 is a statistic! I hope this one does not flicker as well, probably will though.

And I also think that people are confusing the flicker problem for the graphic glitch, the flicker problem happens on grey back grounds, the glitch problem is defiantly a software bug. But who knows even the flicker problem might be a software bug.

I am convinced that this is caused by heat though. Wack your phone in the freezer for 30 seconds and watch the flicker go away.

Yeah the problem happens to me on Google Play and also when on the brightness adjust menu. My phonesthe HT23

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA
23rd April 2012, 05:35 PM   |  #342  
Manchester
Thanks Meter: 10

150 posts
More
I've just suddenly noticed slight flickering on mine, especially prominent when the screen dims to show a dialog box etc.

Never seen it before and I've had the phone 2 weeks now (ish).

Slim
23rd April 2012, 06:02 PM   |  #343  
Flag Hull
Thanks Meter: 44

491 posts
More
Quote:

I'm on 6th handset. All of the other ones had flicker, i think most of the ones in the UK have flicker problems because 2 is a coincidence 6 is a statistic! I hope this one does not flicker as well, probably will though.

And I also think that people are confusing the flicker problem for the graphic glitch, the flicker problem happens on grey back grounds, the glitch problem is defiantly a software bug. But who knows even the flicker problem might be a software bug.

I am convinced that this is caused by heat though. Wack your phone in the freezer for 30 seconds and watch the flicker go away.

Yeah I posted a few posts back about it possibly being heat related. I noticed my battery temp was above 40 degrees and it was flickering, back down at 29 degrees now and there is no flicker. Can't believe your on your sixth handset
23rd April 2012, 06:05 PM   |  #344  
Recognized Developer
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 6,798

4,754 posts
Donate to Me
More
Sixth handset wtf!

I've just sent mine back to where i got it from for a replacement, this is my first device so if i have your luck the next few will be getting returned again!

Really thought HTC would of been better than this.
23rd April 2012, 06:08 PM   |  #345  
Thanks Meter: 100

663 posts
It's not always heat related. As I said before in my case its CPU and auto-brightness related. There is a very specific range of brightness where I get flicker ONLY when the CPU usage is high such as rendering a web page. It stops flickering once the page has finished rendering. Dimmer brightness, no flicker. Brighter, no flicker. Just a specific range, and in addition, the same brightness level with auto-brightness disabled doesn't give flicker.

I would bet that nearly every phone has flicker under specific circumstances. But due to tolerances, each phone will vary slightly on what induces it. I believe this is hardware and related to voltage regulation of the backlight. I would be surprised if there was a cure for this in firmware unfortunately. I think its a bad choice of component for the backlight voltage regulator.

EDIT: I have seen both phones with the whiter screen and the more yellow variant flicker. The voltage regulator for the backlight is not part of the screen itself.
Last edited by jonstatt; 23rd April 2012 at 06:43 PM.
23rd April 2012, 06:40 PM   |  #346  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 4,400

8,972 posts
Quote:

i think most of the ones in the UK have flicker problems because 2 is a coincidence 6 is a statistic! I hope this one does not flicker as well, probably will though.

I've seen two from Handtec. Neither flickered. One I only saw for a couple of days so can't comment on longevity. The one I kept is 10 days old and doesn't flicker even when hot and under high load (Glowball). The poll running was showing about 75% of phones w/o issues and 25% with.
23rd April 2012, 07:13 PM   |  #347  

644 posts
I just showed my girlfriend and she said she can't see it. Maybe I'm seeing things..

23rd April 2012, 07:15 PM   |  #348  
Thanks Meter: 78

386 posts
More
My first one flickered, sold on ebay. My new one is flawless. I made sure it was made in Taiwan and not China, maybe that helped.
23rd April 2012, 07:25 PM   |  #349  
Thanks Meter: 3

123 posts
All six of mine were made on Taiwan so it's not that. No flicker yet I give it until tomorrow
23rd April 2012, 07:34 PM   |  #350  

644 posts
Realistically could an OTA update solve it

Last edited by oxfordmark; 23rd April 2012 at 07:48 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread