Need some pointers...

Search This thread

proppie

Feb 23, 2009
Buitenpost
Could somebody point me to a good guide for flashing my play?

i see alot of useful hints, but not a real point to point tut...

and could somebody please point me to the most stable working version of ICS?
gps and data is a must!

Thnx in advance!

CTU_Loscombe

Apr 4, 2010
Sunderland
Depends on your model of play. CDMA or GSM?
R800i/x/a/at?
ICS is a bit finnicky with data depending on the model
I've got the R800i and data works. Also, are you able to unlock your bootloader?
There's a hidden keypad combination that tells you how (I can't remember the code though)

Sent from my R800i using xda premium

Reactions: proppie

proppie

Feb 23, 2009
Buitenpost
sorry for the late reply, had to help my father in law

i have a R800i, think it is gsm, where do i check?

i am able to unlock bootloader, allready checked with code and went to sony unlock site. Have the code to unlock bootloader on my computer. I allready downloaded and installed android sdk.

Now all i need is an fast, light and stable version of ICS and a good tut i can follow. I dont want to wait for the official sony update, i can always install that later if i want to. But my experience with custom roms tell me that they are always better then the original XD

* okay, so i unlocked my bootloader just now :) now if anybody could help me out here, would be very much apreciated!

Last edited:

proppie

Feb 23, 2009
Buitenpost
anybody?

can i just flash the Darkforest ICS Kernel and then flash rom?

or do i have to do something else first?

Last edited:

CTU_Loscombe

Apr 4, 2010
Sunderland
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1571658

Try this thread mate. It's the ICS rom I'm using. Using DoomLords Advanced Stock kernel. You may need to flash his WiFi modules too (I got lucky and didn't have to)

So, since I'm guessing you have USB debugging enabled (in settings somewhere) and fastboot works here's what you need to do:

Download the kernel of your choice i.e Doomkernel Advanced Stock and rename it to "boot" (without the speechmarks). It's an IMG format file

Download the ICS rom i.e KA12 (one I'm using) and move it to the root of your SD card (along with any of the other zips in that thread you want to use...I advise against "onscreen buttons" and "battery" one...they display wrong)

Under the Android folder on your PC locate the Fastboot folder and move the "boot" file there.

Now, whilst still in that folder, hold shift and left click (might be i and left click lol I forget) and "Open command line here"

Switch your phone off and connect in fastboot (hold search whilst connecting phone to PC) and type the following:
fastboot flash boot.img then hit enter
After its done, type fastboot boot boot.img then when your phone resets, disconnect it.

Sometimes it loads up the kernel then switches off but don't worry about it. Switch it back on and hammer the back key for all its worth and you should boot into ClockworkMod. Perform a factory reset/data wipe, wipe cache, Advanced followed by wipe dalvik cache
Go back to the main ClockworkMod menu and install zip from sd card, choose zip, then select the rom you downloaded I.e KA12.zip and install...let it run its course...back to main menu and install zip, choose zip, and install any of the other add-ons you downloaded
After you are done, select reboot and wait...first boot can take ages

IF after 10mins its still not booted then flash an older firmware using Flashtool.

For most of the ICS roms you need to be on the .62 firmware by the way

Anyone spot any errors please tell me...Dont want to soft brick the guy :)

proppie

Feb 23, 2009
Buitenpost
Allrighty will give it a try :)

what do you mean by that? where can i check?

* so basicly if i want the darkforest rom, first i have to flash official ICS beta, then flash kernel, then flash darkforest rom?

Last edited:

CTU_Loscombe

Apr 4, 2010
Sunderland
Under the About Phone section in Settings :)
Think it's basically your baseband version.
Mine had the last 2 digits as .42 until I flashed the newer firmware. If yours ends in .62 then you're good to go. If not, grab the .62 firmware (it's a ftf file) from the internet (make sure its the xperia play one lol) and flash it with Flashtool

I'm off out so I'm not gonna be online for a few hours. PM me if you have any issues

netizenmt

Jan 20, 2011

i am able to unlock bootloader, allready checked with code and went to sony unlock site. Have the code to unlock bootloader on my computer. I allready downloaded and installed android sdk.

Now all i need is an fast, light and stable version of ICS and a good tut i can follow. I dont want to wait for the official sony update, i can always install that later if i want to. But my experience with custom roms tell me that they are always better then the original XD

* okay, so i unlocked my bootloader just now :) now if anybody could help me out here, would be very much apreciated!

Hate to tell you this, but none of the ICS ROMs currently available are going to be "light, fast and stable" in any distinguishable manner from another as they are all beta at the moment. They all use the Sony beta as base, so whatever chinks it has in it's armor, they will too. Really, the best choice is to pick the one that interests you most and experiment with it. I would recommend using KeiranFTW's Darkforest ICS Kernel for sure. He has a great ROM as well.

Sent from my R800x using xda premium

proppie

Feb 23, 2009
Buitenpost
thnx dloading now :)

can i just flash this over all i allready installed?

or do i have to reinstall all the darkforest thingies?

edit :

meh had to reinstall evrything. ah well, all is good now :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    R800i/x/a/at?
    I've got the R800i and data works. Also, are you able to unlock your bootloader?
    There's a hidden keypad combination that tells you how (I can't remember the code though)

R800i/x/a/at?

*#*#7378423#*#* ;)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1571658

Try this thread mate. It's the ICS rom I'm using. Using DoomLords Advanced Stock kernel. You may need to flash his WiFi modules too (I got lucky and didn't have to)

So, since I'm guessing you have USB debugging enabled (in settings somewhere) and fastboot works here's what you need to do:

Download the kernel of your choice i.e Doomkernel Advanced Stock and rename it to "boot" (without the speechmarks). It's an IMG format file

Download the ICS rom i.e KA12 (one I'm using) and move it to the root of your SD card (along with any of the other zips in that thread you want to use...I advise against "onscreen buttons" and "battery" one...they display wrong)

Under the Android folder on your PC locate the Fastboot folder and move the "boot" file there.

Now, whilst still in that folder, hold shift and left click (might be i and left click lol I forget) and "Open command line here"

Switch your phone off and connect in fastboot (hold search whilst connecting phone to PC) and type the following:
    fastboot flash boot.img then hit enter
    After its done, type fastboot boot boot.img then when your phone resets, disconnect it.

Sometimes it loads up the kernel then switches off but don't worry about it. Switch it back on and hammer the back key for all its worth and you should boot into ClockworkMod. Perform a factory reset/data wipe, wipe cache, Advanced followed by wipe dalvik cache
    Go back to the main ClockworkMod menu and install zip from sd card, choose zip, then select the rom you downloaded I.e KA12.zip and install...let it run its course...back to main menu and install zip, choose zip, and install any of the other add-ons you downloaded
    After you are done, select reboot and wait...first boot can take ages

IF after 10mins its still not booted then flash an older firmware using Flashtool.

Anyone spot any errors please tell me...Dont want to soft brick the guy :)

Under the About Phone section in Settings :)
    Think it's basically your baseband version.
    Mine had the last 2 digits as .42 until I flashed the newer firmware. If yours ends in .62 then you're good to go. If not, grab the .62 firmware (it's a ftf file) from the internet (make sure its the xperia play one lol) and flash it with Flashtool

I'm off out so I'm not gonna be online for a few hours. PM me if you have any issues

Hate to tell you this, but none of the ICS ROMs currently available are going to be "light, fast and stable" in any distinguishable manner from another as they are all beta at the moment. They all use the Sony beta as base, so whatever chinks it has in it's armor, they will too. Really, the best choice is to pick the one that interests you most and experiment with it. I would recommend using KeiranFTW's Darkforest ICS Kernel for sure. He has a great ROM as well.

Sent from my R800x using xda premium