Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,072 Members 41,120 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Complete Phone Format

Tip us?

jdahlum
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Complete Phone Format

Guys,

Over time in flashing roms, playing with different apps, etc. I've built up a bunch of junk on the phone and there are certain items I'm not even sure are safe to remove.

What is the best way to go about completely formatting the phone and starting fresh. Just format the SD card then boot into CWM and factory reset and then flash my ROM again? Will that take me back to a completely fresh install and clean SD card?

I did a search and most results were about cleaning things up for a ROM flash but I'm really trying to totally remove all the junk I don't use anymore. I have all my data backed up on the computer so putting it back won't be a problem. Thanks!

Jamie

trell959
Old
Thanks Meter 800

DONATE TO ME
Yeah that should do it. But be careful, I may be wrong, but if you wipe your SD card, wouldn't you loose recovery too? Considering the clockworkmod folder would be wiped? Can someone clarify?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium
Phones: Samsung Galaxy Note N-7000
Samsung Galaxy S II i-777
HTC Inspire 4g
Samsung Captivate

"Don't regret anything you do man. It's just a waste of time." -Watt9493

Simba501
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by trell959 View Post
Yeah that should do it. But be careful, I may be wrong, but if you wipe your SD card, wouldn't you loose recovery too? Considering the clockworkmod folder would be wiped? Can someone clarify?

Recovery is kernel dependent, so no. The only concern in wiping the sd is deleting nandroid backups, which you can backup manually on a PC before clearing the sd. I assume the OP is going to take the appropriate measures to backup the files he/she wants.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simba501 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

trell959
Old
Thanks Meter 800

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba501 View Post
Recovery is kernel dependent, so no. The only concern in wiping the sd is deleting nandroid backups, which you can backup manually on a PC before clearing the sd. I assume the OP is going to take the appropriate measures to backup the files he/she wants.
Thanks. I knew it was kernel dependent, just was unsure.

Phones: Samsung Galaxy Note N-7000
Samsung Galaxy S II i-777
HTC Inspire 4g
Samsung Captivate

"Don't regret anything you do man. It's just a waste of time." -Watt9493

audiophan
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I've read, but not attempted, that the only way to do what you want is to reflash a stock rom and do a master reset from inside there.

Another recommendation was to unmount/format the SD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

geomax45
Old
Thanks Meter 99
I put nandroids and any files I need to flash on my external sd, then wipe, factory reset, wipe caches, and then format sd. Then I can flash the ROM and other files from the ext sd.

Edgarhighman
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I've had this same question for a while, posted sort of before but no answer. So what is the safe way?

How to keep nandroid backup and titanium backups.

I'd just move all my stuff to external_sd or a usb flash drive otg (what's that mean anyway? )

Can phone go into download mode from usb otg flash drive? What would I need on there?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using XDA