Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,477 Members 40,217 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Changing fonts in ICS

Tip us?

redsox985
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 86
Default Changing fonts in ICS

Has anyone had luck changing fonts in ICS? I've tried the obvious app solutions, as well as flashable .zip's, and even renaming the desired font to the same one as is in the /system/fonts folder and replacing it that way. Ideas?

LifeInAnalog
Old
Thanks Meter 356
...probably falls under your "tried all the obvious" courses of action, but the only way I've ever universally changed the fonts is through jrummy's "Root Tools" ...though I haven't tried it on AOKP yet.

redsox985
Old
(Last edited by redsox985; 22nd April 2012 at 07:07 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeInAnalog View Post
...probably falls under your "tried all the obvious" courses of action, but the only way I've ever universally changed the fonts is through jrummy's "Root Tools" ...though I haven't tried it on AOKP yet.
I think I finally got it. I had taken SonySketch (desired font) regular, bold, italic, and bold-italic, and masked each of them with the proper name found in the /system/fonts file and made them into a flashable .zip but this didn't fix it. Today, I just dropped all of them into a folder on my SD card, and used Root Browser to copy-paste them over from my SD to /system/fonts and rebooted...VIOLA! The entire phone has been changed. I'm going to try making a flashable .zip again though so that it's easier to share.

EDIT: Here are the new flashable .zip's. I just took the Steel Droid 5 .zip that was on my desktop and erased everything but the fonts file then duplicated it, keeping META-INF but replacing the stock fonts in the 2nd .zip with the renamed Sony Sketch fonts. Tell me how it goes if you're interested.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ICSStockFonts.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.50 MB, 73 views)
File Type: zip SonySketch.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.38 MB, 92 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to redsox985 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

olorolo
Old
Thanks Meter 1,322

DONATE TO ME
Absolute system or from toolbox will change your fonts to whatever you like

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk

redsox985
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by olorolo View Post
Absolute system or from toolbox will change your fonts to whatever you like

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk
Have you tried this in ICS though? Because JRummy's Font Installer doesn't do the trick. No font installer has (Root Tools, ROM Toolbox, Font Installer, etc.) has done the trick yet on ICS. Only my renaming trick has done it for me on ICS. I know all of the switchers work on GB.