FORUMS

[FTF] Sony Xperia Z Lollipop Release

Sony rolled out a Lollipop update for Xperia Z just yesterday. If you still haven’t gotten … more

Original Moto G Receives Lollipop, OTA Captured

The original Moto G was released almost two years ago. Motorola still continues to … more

Device Review: No.1 X1 Rugged Smartphone

We are almost at the end of Q2 for 2015, and we have seen most of the flagship phones for the … more

When a Friend or Family Member Asks for a Phone Recommendation, What Do You Tell Them?

The majority of us here at XDA would consider … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Question about battery calibration

22nd April 2012, 01:23 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 33
 
More
So how do batteries get "out of calibration" (if they do)? It would seem to be an issue of the phone not recognizing when a battery is fully charged, so it would not charge completely when...well...charging... Would using the ever-popular "reboot" feature lead to that?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA
 
 
22nd April 2012, 02:03 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Flag Colonial Heights,VA
Thanks Meter: 1,118
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluefree

So how do batteries get "out of calibration" (if they do)? It would seem to be an issue of the phone not recognizing when a battery is fully charged, so it would not charge completely when...well...charging... Would using the ever-popular "reboot" feature lead to that?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

Lithium Ion batteries need no calibration. That was a big thing when Nickel Batteries were being used.

Some people sware by it and say it works. But I believe its a placebo effect. If your having battery issues its probably just a bad battery, that tends to happen from time to time.

Sent from my Epic Ice Cream Sandwhich
22nd April 2012, 02:16 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 33
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedin07si

Lithium Ion batteries need no calibration. That was a big thing when Nickel Batteries were being used.

Some people sware by it and say it works. But I believe its a placebo effect. If your having battery issues its probably just a bad battery, that tends to happen from time to time.

Sent from my Epic Ice Cream Sandwhich

I fully appreciate that battery calibration wouldn't be affecting the batteries per se...was wondering if it was really more of calibrating how the phone itself measures or tracks the charge state. I certainly appreciate your position though..since I've often thought that too. In the end....I really don't know.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA
22nd April 2012, 02:34 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Earth
Thanks Meter: 475
 
More
I wish I could find a link to the article I read, but Lion batteries have circuitry in them that prevents them from over charging, the battery reports what it has.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
22nd April 2012, 04:00 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 33
 
More
It seems like there are a lot of smart people with opinions on this...
May be time for me to just buy a new battery...they don't look too expensive online...
Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA
22nd April 2012, 08:57 PM |#6  
jbadboy2007's Avatar
Senior Member
Lansing MI
Thanks Meter: 267
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluefree

It seems like there are a lot of smart people with opinions on this...
May be time for me to just buy a new battery...they don't look too expensive online...
Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

Get the gs2 1850 mah batteries they fit right in stock cover and charge normally as well. I've had this phone since first release and let me tell you I have 2 batteries since release and 2 newer ones and I get way shorter life on the older batteries.
22nd April 2012, 09:12 PM |#7  
Zeinzu's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 1,083
 
More
http://www.androidcentral.com/wiping...oogle-engineer

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zeinzu For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd April 2012, 09:54 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 33
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeinzu

http://www.androidcentral.com/wiping...oogle-engineer

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

So I have never cleared my battery stats as they were talking about in that article (and the million comments with it)... I have done the fully charge and then discharge cycles....which I always had thought was a waste of time with lithium ion batteries... There was a lot of...interesting dissenting comments in that article...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA
23rd April 2012, 10:40 PM |#9  
KennyG123's Avatar
RC-RT & Moderator Committees / Spider-Mod
Flag Right behind you!
Thanks Meter: 29,950
 
Donate to Me
More
Thread moved
Questions go in Q&A
Thanks
FNM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes