Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,032 Members 50,934 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] portable charger or extended battery?

Tip us?

yeahman45
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Default [Q] portable charger or extended battery?

i am going on a travel abroad... will be using camera and camcorder a lot and wifi.... what do you recommend? a portable charger or extended battery? i want a cheap solution..preferably available from ebay

budget : not more than $30-34

tamer0000
Old
Thanks Meter 2
extended battery

about_ar
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Battery will do better

scutworker
Old
Thanks Meter 141
I've just come back from holiday and had a portable charger. It was useful, but I often found that the battery would hardly last the day and there wouldnt be any place to charge it (you don't really want to be back in your hotel when you could be out sight seeing). Rather than trying to find a socket, I'd just get an extended battery. You can just swap it over and continue your fun rather than rooting around for power.

yeahman45
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
if i buy an extended battery i need to also buy a seperate battery charger so that i can charge the 2 batteries at the same time

about_ar
Old
Thanks Meter 0
it depnds how you'll spend your time.
but you can swap the battaries on the phone to charge them.
Normally charging the battary will last 1 hour.
again it depnds about the places you'll visit.

langers1
Old
Thanks Meter 3
How many mAh are you planning on using per day? An extended battery will give you 3000mAh compared to the 1400mAh on the original battery. A decent portable charger will give you 5000mAh.

The only down side of using the portable charger is waiting for the battery to charge, most will do that at 500mAh so 3 hours to totally charge the normal desire battery from flat. However while the extended life battery has died the charger will still have about 1.5 charges left in it.

1 thing to point out unless you get a solar charger some portable charges will only charge from USB so make sure you have a way to charge that when out and about

I would get the potable charger (and remember to put it on charge when you have a spare min throughout the day) as when you replace your phone you cant really do much with the extended battery with your new phone, least the portable charger can be used over and over again.
The Following User Says Thank You to langers1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

yeahman45
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
i finally opted for a spare battery solution. I bought an oem battery for desire/nexus one. and i will buy a battery charger so that i can charge both batteries when i go to sleep so that they are both ready the next day

daemn22
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Get a portable charger instead. Taking the battery in and out can wear off the back lid easily.

sphp
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Get a big battery, it's better than changing between batteries. As well you have to carry the portable charger when you travel. And you have to charge it, too.

So the extended battery should last one day (except you use GPS all time) and you can charge phone when you sleep.