Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] portable charger or extended battery?

OP yeahman45

25th May 2011, 06:08 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 67

1,231 posts
i am going on a travel abroad... will be using camera and camcorder a lot and wifi.... what do you recommend? a portable charger or extended battery? i want a cheap solution..preferably available from ebay

budget : not more than $30-34
1st June 2011, 03:59 PM   |  #2  
Flag Cairo
Thanks Meter: 2

48 posts
More
extended battery
1st June 2011, 09:03 PM   |  #3  
Flag Dubai - UAE
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
More
Battery will do better
1st June 2011, 11:59 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 141

462 posts
I've just come back from holiday and had a portable charger. It was useful, but I often found that the battery would hardly last the day and there wouldnt be any place to charge it (you don't really want to be back in your hotel when you could be out sight seeing). Rather than trying to find a socket, I'd just get an extended battery. You can just swap it over and continue your fun rather than rooting around for power.
2nd June 2011, 09:49 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

1,231 posts
if i buy an extended battery i need to also buy a seperate battery charger so that i can charge the 2 batteries at the same time
5th June 2011, 10:54 AM   |  #6  
Flag Dubai - UAE
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
More
it depnds how you'll spend your time.
but you can swap the battaries on the phone to charge them.
Normally charging the battary will last 1 hour.
again it depnds about the places you'll visit.
5th June 2011, 11:05 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 3

130 posts
More
How many mAh are you planning on using per day? An extended battery will give you 3000mAh compared to the 1400mAh on the original battery. A decent portable charger will give you 5000mAh.

The only down side of using the portable charger is waiting for the battery to charge, most will do that at 500mAh so 3 hours to totally charge the normal desire battery from flat. However while the extended life battery has died the charger will still have about 1.5 charges left in it.

1 thing to point out unless you get a solar charger some portable charges will only charge from USB so make sure you have a way to charge that when out and about

I would get the potable charger (and remember to put it on charge when you have a spare min throughout the day) as when you replace your phone you cant really do much with the extended battery with your new phone, least the portable charger can be used over and over again.
The Following User Says Thank You to langers1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th June 2011, 10:58 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

1,231 posts
i finally opted for a spare battery solution. I bought an oem battery for desire/nexus one. and i will buy a battery charger so that i can charge both batteries when i go to sleep so that they are both ready the next day
6th August 2011, 09:10 AM   |  #9  
Flag Manila
Thanks Meter: 8

89 posts
More
Get a portable charger instead. Taking the battery in and out can wear off the back lid easily.
23rd April 2012, 11:55 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 2

22 posts
More
Get a big battery, it's better than changing between batteries. As well you have to carry the portable charger when you travel. And you have to charge it, too.

So the extended battery should last one day (except you use GPS all time) and you can charge phone when you sleep.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread