Compiling the jars will return "No resources found", because they are just jars.
You should always check to make sure that the output is about the same size as the original.
It may be a bit bigger or smaller depending on the vagaries of compression.
I did this, of course. The files are generally sightly smaller, in the case of framework-res.apk the change is relatively big: from 2,897,726 to 2,381,970 (but I am not worried about this as I get a similar size decrease even during simple decompile/recompile)
Swapping framework-res.apk could make it crash when something can't find a resource,
but it's not code and generally if you leave the Nook sitting it won't try to access anything.
If all you did was replace one file and now you replaced it back it should be working.
I know, and I totally agree with you!
My conclusion is that something got corrupted..
I tried removing the apk.old and apk.new files via CWM (to make sure they are not in the way)
I also tried running e2fsck -p /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 via CMW (from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=59
.. but still the same bootloop.
Is there any way to see some logs of the failed boots?
Since I did not make a backup just before doing this change (and I know you had adviced to do so
), the only thing which I can think of now is
a) create a backup with noogie
b) mount the image and check what is actually in /system
unfortunately, I do not have access to linux so this would be kind of pain (my old laptop with WinXPSP3 is the main reason, why I dont have ADB..)
And I am not sure if this is not more complicated than reinstalling everything from scratch..
Thanks for your help, I'll probably give it a day's rest and then do the factory reset..
I don't know how you are getting a ssh into the Nook.
I've got no port 22 or 23 open.
I have droidSSHd installed and am able to connect easily with Putty.