Android One Expanding to Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka

At Google I/O 2013, Google proudly announced that the Android operating system was … more

Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Swap internal and external SD

OP ShimmerX

24th April 2012, 06:39 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

27 posts
In older versions of Android the external SD would be mounted as /mnt/sdcard but now that is used for the internal memory and the external SD is now /mnt/sdcard/external_sd. This is a bit of a problem as some apps can only save to /mnt/sdcard and it quickly takes up our phone's internal memory. I have offline GPS maps and a few Gameloft games which can only save their data to /mnt/sdcard and as you can imagine free space is very limited.

What I would like is to switch this around. Basically I have a 32GB SD card that I would like to use a storage for some of my apps as it is not being fully utilized. I've searched around and it doesn't seem like there is an easy way to do this. I'm not completely sure but it seems like there are methods that might be specific to different phones which requires modifying a file in /system/etc.

Will this safely work for our phone?
24th April 2012, 07:49 PM   |  #2  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 42

219 posts
More
check this topic
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1458153&page=3

posts 21 to 25 and 33 & 34..
For Recovery swapping has been tried..

You may get some idea..
24th April 2012, 11:39 PM   |  #3  
Flag Lyon
Thanks Meter: 2

30 posts
More
Maybe the use of symbolic links could help, but I never tried it on an Android device.
25th April 2012, 02:38 PM   |  #4  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 100

572 posts
More
I had read people Mapping the External under a directory for example the Games directory and therefore all games would in theory be on the External. I think this is what you mentioned as symbolic links.
17th April 2013, 07:12 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
How can you do that. I tryed a million things. Last time i installed literom with added swap internal memory to sd mod. And after i copy something in phone i loose the mobile signal. I guess the card is getting corrupted or something. How can i make it so the sd card wont be unmounted when i plug the phone in pc ?
19th April 2013, 07:44 AM   |  #6  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 237

137 posts
Donate to Me
More
Might want to consider this:

Root External 2 Internal SD

I've not used this specific one myself but I have used similar apps in the past.
The Following User Says Thank You to spyke555 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th April 2013, 04:15 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
I didn't use that yet.

But what i found untill now

1. Using Directory Bind wich makes a link between actual place of the files and where they should be. Example You put com.xxx.xxx in your SD card and set the progam to tell android when is looking into sdcard/android/data/com.xxx.xxx go for files in sdcard/external_sd/com.xxx.xxx
This method is good for games and files for them
2. Another thing is modifing vold.fstab and swapping the way adroid mounts those partitions. (this option is buggy somehow)
Attached Files
File Type: apk DirectoryBind_0.2.0o.apk - [Click for QR Code] (74.5 KB, 27 views)
Last edited by irimiadan; 20th April 2013 at 04:27 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread