[Q] Droid 3 ICS-Root?

Tip us?

y0himba
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38

DONATE TO ME
Question [Q] Droid 3 ICS-Root?

Hello. I will be receiving a Droid 3 as a warranty replacement tomorrow. It comes with ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) pre-installed. I have been searching, and cannot find a way to root the Droid 3.

I am hoping I missed it. If someone can point me to the tutorial for rooting the Droid 3 with ICS, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
My Web Site: http://www.y0himba.net
Last 5 Songs Played:

redsox985
Old
Thanks Meter 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0himba View Post
Hello. I will be receiving a Droid 3 as a warranty replacement tomorrow. It comes with ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) pre-installed. I have been searching, and cannot find a way to root the Droid 3.

I am hoping I missed it. If someone can point me to the tutorial for rooting the Droid 3 with ICS, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Where did you hear it will come with ICS...? Because it won't.

y0himba
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38

DONATE TO ME
I was told this by the Verizon rep. It is a warranty replacement. he specifically said it has ICS on it. No, I am not mistaken. Maybe he was?

Even if it doesn't, I have been unable to find a tutorial for rooting the Droid 3.
Last 5 Songs Played:

Senate9690
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I can assure you that it will not be arriving with ICS, I'm sure he must have been mistaken. It will most likely be running Gingerbread 2.3.4 with the 5.6.890 system software.

Anywho... here is the tutorial you are looking for http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1240130
Samsung Galaxy S4 16GB (VZW), Gummy 2.1 (4.4.2) modified and built from source, TWRP 2.6.3.1 Touch Recovery, SanDisk Class10 64GB ExtSD
Moto Droid 3 - Gummy ICS 4.0.4 Modified Build 1.2.x built from source (retired)
Moto Droid 1 - ChevyNo1 SS 5.6 1.0Ghz LV Kernel (retired)

leerpsp
Old
Thanks Meter 16

DONATE TO ME
If you do get one with ics on it then I will be calling Verizon and having them replace my phone for one like that

Sent from my XT862 using XDA

Willis111
Old
(Last edited by Willis111; 24th April 2012 at 02:46 AM.)
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by leerpsp View Post
If you do get one with ics on it then I will be calling Verizon and having them replace my phone for one like that

Sent from my XT862 using XDA
If you get a phone w/ics system dump before anything else please, if you need a hand lots of people here will help (or on irc) but since moto still has the d3 listed as "evaluating" for ics and haven't even started working on a build I would say the rep is more than likely mistaken. Hopefully not but if moto had an ics build for the d3 I imagine we would have heard about a soak or something. As for your question I would probably try the root for d4 and if that didn't work check out what they're using on the nexus etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
I work for AMD, and that's exactly how it's done... You manufacture a large batch of silicon, and based on testing, you separate the chips based on highest stable speed. We simply clock them lower and label them with another model number. This has been done since the beginning...

MrObvious
Old
Thanks Meter 251
If you do get ICS please tweet Hash. We really could benefit from it.

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA

redsox985
Old
Thanks Meter 86
We would still have a locked bootloader and the same kernel issues though. I'd put money on the rep being wrong, but I'd like to be proven wrong.

danifunker
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 238

DONATE TO ME
so what version of android did you end up getting on the d3?

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk 2
Need help restoring your Motorola phone back to stock firmware? Check out my tutorial here

y0himba
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38

DONATE TO ME
You folks were right. He was wrong. It has 2.3.4.

It runs pretty fast, compares well to the DX2. I wanted CM ROM on it, but none are completely working. Camera has issues GSM FCs and so forth. I just wish my DX2 would work. Haven't used a physical keyboard in a while either.

What do you folks think of your Droid 3s?
Last 5 Songs Played: