Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[OFFER][MOD]Customizing Physical Keyboard Layout[G2/Desire Z/Vision]

OP TpmKranz

31st March 2012, 11:10 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 338

171 posts
Donate to Me
More
Do you think your physical keyboard could be more efficient if its layout was slightly different?
Do you want special characters to appear just by hoding down FN and hitting a key of your choice??
Are you too lazy or not badass enough to mess around with your physical keyboard layout yourself???

Well, here is the solution:

I will customize your keyboard layout at your wish!

The only things you need are:
  • A rooted HTC G2/Desire Z/Vision
  • A root file explorer OR
  • ADB

The only things I need are:
  • Your /system/usr/keychars folder
  • Your /system/usr/keylayouts folder
  • A list of characters that appear when you hold down FN and hit all the 2nd row's character keys one after another from left to right
  • Of course your change request

So here is an example of how it might go:
  1. You think: "Damn, I'm a German and bought a G2 from America but I totally hate holding down the 'A' button to write '' and the 'Z' button should rather write 'Y' because I'm used to it!!!" (can be applied to any other language)
  2. You check if you have the things that you need
  3. You copy the folders that I need to your computer (with the help of root browser or ADB), put them into one keyfiles.zip file and attach it to your post
  4. You write the characters that appear when holding down FN and hitting the 2nd row's keys into your post e.g.
    !#$%&*()/
  5. You write your change request(s) into your post e.g.
    When hitting FN+A I want '' to appear and when hitting SHIFT+FN+A I want '' to appear
    '!' can be moved to SHIFT+.
    Furthermore I wish that Z could write 'Y' and vice versa
  6. You let me do some magic (hex-editing)
  7. I attach the file(s) that has(have) to be replaced
  8. You (make a NANDROID backup and) put the files into their respective place
  9. You tell me if it works

P.S.:
As I wasn't able to test this on many devices it might happen that I am not able to fulfill all of your wishes. If that happens, please don't get angry. I'm sure that we can find another solution for you. If questions come up along the way don't hesitate asking.

DISCLAIMER:
Though it is quite unlikely that anything goes wrong I am not responsible for any kind of damage that could happen to you, your phone, your family, your nation and anything else that you think is this modification's fault. You decide to ask me for a favor and you take the risk of it. I am completely willing to help you if there are any problems but don't blame me for them.
Last edited by TpmKranz; 31st March 2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Forgot something
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TpmKranz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st March 2012, 11:26 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

171 posts
Donate to Me
More
Smile reserved
reserved for me
1st April 2012, 12:41 AM   |  #3  
Flag Parma
Thanks Meter: 64

725 posts
More
Will your tweak works also in sense 3.0/5?

Well what I want is an Italian dictionary for the hardware keyboard that allows me to put the stress on the letters symply pushing fm+space that's all

inviato dal mio desire z. by zofox/zabak
1st April 2012, 01:07 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

171 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zofox

Well what I want is an Italian dictionary for the hardware keyboard that allows me to put the stress on the letters symply pushing fm+space that's all

I see what you want but I fear that this does not have much to do with the keyboard's mapping but more with the dictionary's configuration. You should tell me if I'm wrong.
I could just make your keyboard write characters with key combinations like making FN+SHIFT+E write .
I'm sorry that I can't give you exactly what you need
24th April 2012, 07:08 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 3

13 posts
Are you willing to do this for me on my Motorola Droid Pro+?

At the moment, when you hold down a key rather than showing the character/number assigned to that letter it shows foreign accented characters... I don't type in any language other than english so I don't really need this. The alt key is in a really awkward place, it really slows me down!

Thanks
26th April 2012, 02:44 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 45

331 posts
More
You can make the number or so appear when holding fn and not only pressing it before?

Sent from the last decent QWERTY phone using its keyboard!
4th May 2012, 08:11 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

171 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieters

At the moment, when you hold down a key rather than showing the character/number assigned to that letter it shows foreign accented characters... I don't type in any language other than english so I don't really need this. The alt key is in a really awkward place, it really slows me down!

So you want me to
alter the caracters/numbers that appear when holding a key? I don't think that I'm the right person to do this as I assume it to be something very software related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualflyer

You can make the number or so appear when holding fn and not only pressing it before?

I don't get what you want me to do, could you explain it a little more?

Sent from my Desire Z using a carrier owl
4th May 2012, 10:00 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 45

331 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TpmKranz

So you want me to
alter the caracters/numbers that appear when holding a key? I don't think that I'm the right person to do this as I assume it to be something very software related.

I don't get what you want me to do, could you explain it a little more?

Sent from my Desire Z using a carrier owl

I've probably misread... Now I have to press fn release it and press key. Are you able to mod it so that fn effect is active only when it's still pressed
example:
nowress fn release fn press a get the special character
wantress fn release fn press a get a, press fn press a get the special character release fn
5th May 2012, 06:49 PM   |  #9  
Flag Parma
Thanks Meter: 64

725 posts
More
Is possible to personalise keyboard even with miui? Because I can't use fn+ z = and fn+ x = so if u can make them works

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using Tapatalk 2
6th May 2012, 11:41 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

171 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualflyer

example:
nowress fn release fn press a get the special character
wantress fn release fn press a get a, press fn press a get the special character release fn

When I started this thread I was unable to imagine what kinds of modification people want to apply to their keyboards.
In Ice Cream Sandwich the keychar files allow you to vary the key's behaviour depending on whether the shift key is pressed or a capslock is active. But I didn't see anything like fn-lock there. So I think it's not possible to let the keyboard ignore fn-lock. (Excuse me if there is an expression for that - I don't know it if there is any so I just call it "fn-lock".)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zofox

Is possible to personalise keyboard even with miui? Because I can't use fn+ z = and fn+ x = so if u can make them works

I've never had a look at MIUI's keychars/-layout files but it's worth a try.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
desire z, keyboard, modify, physical, vision
Previous Thread Next Thread