How to Root Android Wear 5.0.1 Lollipop Devices – XDA TV

The Lollipop update for Android Wear devices has hit the market and people are … more

Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

help - 2 arias rendom reboot

OP strykme

20th April 2012, 05:18 PM   |  #11  
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 430

856 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yar2

I have performed factory resets and all other formats and clear functions in Clockworkmod. Should I refomate the SD card too?

Sent from my Liberty using XDA

Can, because possible errors on the SD card
23rd April 2012, 06:24 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 18

131 posts
I still have not solved the random reboot issues. I have two Arias with the exact same problem. I think I somehow contaminated the 2nd phone by swaping SD cards and loading a Nandroid backup from the 1st phone. Both phones are rooted.

I have tried loading 4 roms -- Liberated, CM7.1 stable, CM7.2 RC and Menjeni's version of CM9 and have the exact same random reboot problem Seems like the phones works for anywhere from 5 minutes to over an hour and then reboot.

When I load the different ROMs I wipe everything -- the factory data reset, all the caches and re-formats that CWM offers. I also reformatted the SD card and reloaded CWM via Rom Manger in an effort to completely clean the phone. I also ran two a virus/malware scans on the phone and SD card -- which found no errors.

Is there something else I can do to further clean the phones? Since the same problem is with both phones, I seriously doubt its a hardware problem.

Anyone interested in purchasing 2 somewhat functioning Arias?
23rd April 2012, 06:30 PM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 544

1,726 posts
More
Quote:

I still have not solved the random reboot issues.

yar2, what HBOOT version do you have on the two devices?
23rd April 2012, 07:59 PM   |  #14  

131 posts
HBOOT 6.02.1002

Thanks for trying to help me with this!
24th April 2012, 05:16 AM   |  #15  

1,726 posts
More
Quote:

HBOOT 6.02.1002

Thanks for trying to help me with this!

OK. I'm assuming you have an AT&T Aria. If not let me know.

Here's what I'd suggest you do. I'm basically trying the most extreme steps to correct the issue so we can verify if the issue is something that can be corrected or not.

1) Reformat your SD card(s) with SD Formatter 3.1. This tool sometimes fixes hard to detect problems that aren't corrected when formatting with other methods. (Default settings are fine.)

2) Run the AT&T 2.2.2 RUU to revert your phone to almost 100% stock. I say almost because the RUU will NOT change your HBOOT, which means even after doing this process, you will still have S-OFF.

3) Try using the phone with the stock unmodified ROM to see if you experience the random reboots you described. If you do, the rest of the steps are not necessary and it's probably a hardware issue.

4) Install CWM by putting your phone into FASTBOOT mode, then using the Android Flasher utility to install the latest version of Clockworkmod. Use this version: http://www.mediafire.com/?lg6b63aqpi1cvbg (source). If you know how to do this from command line with the fastboot command line tool, that is fine too.

5) Boot into CWM. Do factory reset/wipe data and format system partition. Then install the ROM of your choice. I'd suggest something like a recent version of CM7 since it is very stable. If using CM7, install 20110828 gapps immediately after flashing CM7. Reboot and see how it goes.

Even if you already downloaded any of the above files, delete them and download them again this time around (or check the md5 sums if you know how). It's possible the files were corrupted when you downloaded them before and that is why you keep having problems.

Also, as an aside: Are you using third-party batteries with your devices?
24th April 2012, 06:14 PM   |  #16  

131 posts
Aria random reboot
Thanks drumist for all you advice! When I did my last attempt at a clean install, I used a spare SD card that had never been in the phone.

Both phones are AT&T Arias with the original batteries. I liked the Aria size so much that I upgraded my wife's expired Iphone contract when AT&T was providing a free Aria upgrade just to have a spare in case I damaged one by rooting. Now I have managed to mess up both phones!

I was thinking my next step would be to go back to a stock state, as you recommend. I was thinking of going even further and un-rooting and S-On. Do you think the problem could be in the Hboot partition? And wouldn't going back to S-on replace the Hboot?

I still think I somehow contaminated the 2nd phone by restoring a Nandriod backup from the first phone. The 2nd phone was working find until I did the restore.

Regardless, I will try what you suggest and let you know the results.
24th April 2012, 07:29 PM   |  #17  

1,726 posts
More
Quote:

I was thinking my next step would be to go back to a stock state, as you recommend. I was thinking of going even further and un-rooting and S-On. Do you think the problem could be in the Hboot partition? And wouldn't going back to S-on replace the Hboot?

Reverting the HBOOT to stock (and yes, returning to S-ON) has some risk -- i.e., if you make a mistake during the process, you can permanently brick the device, so I wouldn't recommend that except as a last resort. The RUU will reflash every other partition on your phone back to stock besides the HBOOT and is safe to do, so stick with that.

Quote:

I still think I somehow contaminated the 2nd phone by restoring a Nandriod backup from the first phone. The 2nd phone was working find until I did the restore.

Yeah, it's possible. If that is the case, though, the HBOOT wouldn't be the problem (because Nandroid backups do not touch the HBOOT). The RUU will reflash every partition that Nandroid touches.

If you already tried using a different SD card, then I wouldn't worry about using that SD Formatter tool.
Last edited by drumist; 24th April 2012 at 07:32 PM.
24th April 2012, 08:51 PM   |  #18  

131 posts
Can't find a copy of the AT&T 2.2.2 RUU. They took it off the HTC website. The instructions there are for an OTA update, which I can't do since I'm not running the stock rom.

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Never mind. I found a copy of the RUU on my laptop.
24th April 2012, 10:07 PM   |  #19  

131 posts
I have installed the hboot drivers and the phone shows up as a device on my computer, but the RUU says it can't find my phone. I am running Windows 7, if that makes any difference.
24th April 2012, 11:46 PM   |  #20  

131 posts
Got the RUU to load from an XP machine. Bad news is that the phone still randomly reboots.

I guess the only other step is to un-root and S-On. What have I got to lose. Can't use the phones as they are now.

Got a good way to do this?
Last edited by yar2; 24th April 2012 at 11:48 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread