Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Any way to disable soft key lights on One S?

OP jadajada

22nd April 2012, 03:38 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17

179 posts
I have moved to the HTC One S from the Galaxy S2. One of the most annoying things of the S2 was the soft key lights when using the phone in the dark. I solved this by using the "Screen Filter" app from the Market. I have also seen that Samsung has put the option to disable the light on those buttons in the Settings menu.

Now, on the HTC One S, the problem is back. Screen Filter does not kill the light on the buttons (it says that this won't work on all phones...) and I can not find a setting to do this.

Is there a way to kill the lights on those buttons?
24th April 2012, 06:53 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

179 posts
Am I the only one that finds this annoying? I find the phone impossible to use while in bed or in a dark lit environment...
24th April 2012, 07:40 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 52

161 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadajada

Am I the only one that finds this annoying? I find the phone impossible to use while in bed or in a dark lit environment...

yes
24th April 2012, 07:46 PM   |  #4  
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 128

676 posts
More
I'll be getting the ONE S tomorrow, but on my SGSII you can go into settings > display > touch key light duration. I'm not sure if the one s has it but hopefully that helps.
24th April 2012, 08:08 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

179 posts
I know about the S2, I have one myself. I am not sure if this is a "samsung feature" or a stock ICS feature. If it is an ICS feature, then it should be possible to dim or turn off those lights on the ONE S also in one way or another? The best solution would be to switch them off permanently.

I have no use for those lights since I know where the three buttons are.

And the fact that they light up, full blast, and stay lit, when I watch movies via Mirage (Air Video client) in bed is just annoying at best.
22nd May 2012, 09:58 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 8

94 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadajada

I know about the S2, I have one myself. I am not sure if this is a "samsung feature" or a stock ICS feature. If it is an ICS feature, then it should be possible to dim or turn off those lights on the ONE S also in one way or another? The best solution would be to switch them off permanently.

I have no use for those lights since I know where the three buttons are.

And the fact that they light up, full blast, and stay lit, when I watch movies via Mirage (Air Video client) in bed is just annoying at best.

Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem. I use my phone as an alarm clock, and now leave the display turned off as those pesky little lights on the buttons blaze away all night
23rd May 2012, 07:36 AM   |  #7  
Flag Bronx
Thanks Meter: 108

1,023 posts
More
What alarm clock do you use that the lights stay on? That doesnt make any sense. I use my phone as an alarm. Screen shuts off as normal and when the alert comes in it turns on like normal.

Sent from my HTC one sex
23rd May 2012, 09:29 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 8

94 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elracing21

What alarm clock do you use that the lights stay on? That doesnt make any sense. I use my phone as an alarm. Screen shuts off as normal and when the alert comes in it turns on like normal.

Sent from my HTC one sex

Sorry, I'm maybe not explained it clearly. I use Gentle Alarm that has a night time display of the time. My old phone the button back lights (4) used to turn off. With the HOS they stay on and there seems to be no option to turn them off. There is only 3 of them of now on the HOS but they are quite bright. If the light is bright enough they turn off during the day but at night they blaze away regardless. I currently just turn the screen off and Gentle Alarm still works of course but with no time display. Not a big issue as only useful if you happen to wake in the night and wonder what time it was. I only ask because I wonder if I've missed an option somewhere. Screen Filter has the option to turn them off but does not work with the HOS.
24th May 2012, 07:17 AM   |  #9  
Flag Bronx
Thanks Meter: 108

1,023 posts
More
I understand now. I didn't know people leave their displays on for alarm clock use. As far as I know there is no way to completely disable the capacitive buttons. Sorry bud.

Sent from my HTC one sex
24th May 2012, 07:34 AM   |  #10  
Flag Tokyo
Thanks Meter: 87

341 posts
More
You can turn off the button lights in LeeDroid's ROM. It's in the tweaks settings.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread