Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,547 Members 45,895 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Geiger counter add on

Tip us?

E:V:A
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1705
The "REAL RadioactivityCounter" made by scientist Rolf-Dieter Klein, is indeed a very serious competitor. The mere fact that someone has bothered to work out the details how to make a cheap mobile cam, detect ionizing radiation, deserves a PhD by it self.

The difference in using your phone with taped over cam, costing you $5 bucks, is nothing compared to buying a dedicated device in the $100+ range, that is only slightly better for certain types of short-range radiation like (alpha and low-energy beta). In addition the cam CMOS sensors doesn't saturate under high doses, like an ionization based device, and thus provides better accuracy!

The sensitivity depends on the physics of your mobile camera, where most phone cams start picking up radiation at about 10 µSv/h. For the iPad2 it picks up radiation already at the 1 µSv/h level.

So unless you are making high-precision, low-energy or background radiation measurements (like looking for Radon in houses), this app is worth every penny. In addition it is one of the best supported apps out there, with a solid scientific base.

Links:

Hack-A-Day - presentation and review
Developer Web Site
Forum

I especially like the radioactive Bavarian mushrooms YouTube video!
MSM8960 Info, Architecture and Bootloader(s)
El Grande Partition Table Reference
How to talk to the Modem with AT commands

[REF][ServiceMode] How to make your Samsung perform dog tricks
[REF|R&D|RF] RF/Radio properties of Samsung ServiceMode

Want to know when your phone is getting tracked or tapped?

Help us develop the IMSI Catcher / Spy Detector!
(To be part of the EFF & The Guardian Project toolsets.)
I do not answer support related PM's.

The Following User Says Thank You to E:V:A For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bamx2
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Would this be sensitive enough to detect leakage outside of x-ray rooms ? Yes, I realize that is is not a substitute for the devices used by licensed radiation safety expert.

Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1705
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamx2 View Post
Would this be sensitive enough to detect leakage outside of x-ray rooms ? Yes, I realize that is is not a substitute for the devices used by licensed radiation safety expert.
Probably not, since "leakage" measurements involve low level (and possibly also low energy) detection, under a long time.

[Alien]
Old
Thanks Meter 0
It works

Sent from my Wildfire S using Tapatalk 2

xHausx
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4509

DONATE TO ME
It appears the Evo 3D is on their site of devices it works with, so maybe that was just a garbage review after all? It would be nice if there was a trial version for it, I have some Cd-109 and Sr-90 sources I'd like to test it with.

You would think the optics would block nearly all of it, but they say some cameras can still pick up beta particles (Sr-90 specifically). If so this may be useful in finding pitchblende.

Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1705
Quote:
Originally Posted by xHausx View Post
It appears the Evo 3D is on their site of devices it works with, so maybe that was just a garbage review after all? It would be nice if there was a trial version for it, I have some Cd-109 and Sr-90 sources I'd like to test it with.

You would think the optics would block nearly all of it, but they say some cameras can still pick up beta particles (Sr-90 specifically). If so this may be useful in finding pitchblende.
Again it depend on the construction and location of the camera module. This is also the reason why they prefer to use the front facing camera for this. It simply contains less lenses and simpler electronics, that can complicate proper measurements. According to the developer, measuring pitchblende is working really well!

wayzata
Old
Account Currently Disabled
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulser_g2 View Post
It's somewhat similar to the pulse detector apps for phones... Cool to play with, and lets you say "oh my heart rate is faster after I did my run"... But while it's relatively accurate, you'd want a real monitor for any serious usage... Or take the pulse manually

I guess similar applies here. The dosage depends on the amount of radiation emitted, not how much manages to "light up" the Cmos above background noise...

Again, cool to point at rock which is slightly above background levels, but no something you want to rely on.
Not necessarily... any good heart rate monitoring app works completely perfectly. Maybe you have a bad camera/flash position or the app can't count. It's exactly the same as a pulse ox that they use in hospitals, no reason it'd be any less accurate. If you don't believe me go break into an ER and measure with both