Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,619 Members 51,939 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Remote location/wipe software

Tip us?

grizzly812
Old
(Last edited by grizzly812; 24th April 2012 at 04:23 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Remote location/wipe software

I have been trying to find a solution that can remotely locate or wipe my EVO 4G through an SMS interface. I have tried a whole bunch of the apps on the market but I cannot seem to find one that meets my needs. The problem that I have is due to the fact that I keep my mobile data turned off when I am not using the phone. The apps I have tried all require an internet connection to send out the location report.

Does anyone know of an app that can reply to a special SMS phrase with lat/lon coordinates? Or an app that can activate the mobile data connection from an SMS phrase? I am sure that someone has thought of this already but I cannot seem to find one.
Thanks

Edit: It shouldnt matter, but just in case, I am running decks pb22 ICS build.

sitlet
Old
Thanks Meter 365
Quote:
Does anyone know of an app that can reply to a special SMS phrase with lat/lon coordinates? Or an app that can activate the mobile data connection from an SMS phrase?
The app you are looking for is Tasker. Amazing app, basically works on "if/then" variables. You can set a task for when the phone receives a text from a certain number, or with a certain phrase (passcode), the phone can turn on gps and 3g, and even text you back with a Google Maps live link of where the phone is.

Check out their website, specifically the tasks wiki, and you will see all the amazing things this app can do.

grizzly812
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post
The app you are looking for is Tasker. Amazing app, basically works on "if/then" variables. You can set a task for when the phone receives a text from a certain number, or with a certain phrase (passcode), the phone can turn on gps and 3g, and even text you back with a Google Maps live link of where the phone is.

Check out their website, specifically the tasks wiki, and you will see all the amazing things this app can do.
Awesome. Thanks for the help buddy!

scottspa74
Old
Thanks Meter 2776
Just watched a video and it talked about an app called Cerberus that you may wanna also look at. Weird synergy.

from my 2yr old ICS Evo
Evo LTE=$XXX.XX ~ XDADevs = PRICELESS
------
Evo LTE. AKA "the beast" . Thanks regaw_lienad, you're a genius.
ROM: AOKP
Kernel: komodo v7
Hboot: lazy panda S-off 1.12.222

Evo 4G HW002
Rom: Deck GB
Kernel: SZ 0.savaged zen21
Recovery: AmonRa 1.80

- thanks whitslack & fastRX8 & Netarchy & Toast, of course. - my Evo: the house that toast built (& many other XDAers)- thank you all