Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

Some of Our Favorite Features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest major revision to Google’s mobile operating … more

Sony SmartEyeglass SDK Developer Preview Released

A little over a month ago in Tokyo, Japan, Sony unveiled its new SmartEyeglasstechnology. … more

XDA and Leaseweb: Server Trial/Moto 360 Contest (Winners!)

About a month ago, we held a contest along with XDA’s host, Leaseweb, to … more

[GUIDE] Otterbox commuter is compatible with docks

OP Incognitum

22nd April 2012, 02:10 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
AK
Thanks Meter: 6

60 posts
More
I had an otterbox commuter since I bought my Atrix, but after getting a couple of docks I jettisoned it. Well last weekend I smashed it to pieces, so for it's replacement I was determined to get the docks and the case to play nice.

I was shocked at how easy it really was. First remove the dock insert, then on the silicone under-layer of the case, simply cut off the plug covers and the phone plugs right into the dock without any hassle.

But I wasn't done, in that configuration the whole phone is basically supported by the usb port. An accidental bump or nudge could render the phone nonchargeable- no good. So I set to work with an exacto knife trimming out the dock insert until it was just right to provide support to the back of the case, broke out a little sand paper to smooth out the roughest portions, and presto! Pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1335055869463.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	1017986   Click image for larger version

Name:	1335055903827.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	1017987   Click image for larger version

Name:	1335055919210.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	1017988   Click image for larger version

Name:	1335055925642.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	1017989   Click image for larger version

Name:	1335055938269.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	1017990  

22nd April 2012, 02:12 AM   |  #2  
OP Member
AK

60 posts
More
Oh yeah, before anyone brings it up, I'll be seeing what I can do about the car dock next.
23rd April 2012, 09:04 PM   |  #3  
Flag Folsom, CA
Thanks Meter: 8

97 posts
More
Any idea if the defender could work

Sent from my MB860 using XDA
24th April 2012, 05:15 AM   |  #4  
OP Member
AK

60 posts
More
I've never actually put hands on the defender, so I don't know how much chunkier it is than the commuter. It looks like the defender layers are reversed; the hard candy shell inside, and the rubber around that? Try putting the case in the dock without the insert, and without the rubber wrapper, and see if the usb plug reaches the phone. If so, it may be worth trying cutting the port plugs off. Otherwise, it depends how hands on you want to get with removing more from the dock than just the insert. But the standard docks are $15 on amazon, so if you hack it all up to pieces and it doesn't work, you've not lost too much in the name of science.

As it happens, I took my dremmel to my car dock last night and it was promising at first, but by the time I got enough material removed for the phone to sit in the dock with the case on, it was being held less snugly than it is in my standard dock, and I hadn't even worked out how to get the usb plug to line up right. [sour grapes] I hate the car dock launcher interface anyways, so I'm just going to buy a second standard dock and mount it to my dashboard.
25th April 2012, 02:13 AM   |  #5  
Flag Arkansas

134 posts
More
Ummm....if that's an Otterbox Commuter on your phone in those pics...it don't look nothin' like the two I have or the one's on Otterbox's website.
25th April 2012, 03:11 AM   |  #6  
OP Member
AK

60 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusreid

Ummm....if that's an Otterbox Commuter on your phone in those pics...it don't look nothin' like the two I have or the one's on Otterbox's website.

Don't know whose website you're visiting, but the commuter case is as shown below. The first pic in op was just the gooey center so you could see where the cut was made. From the front you can't see much of the hard candy coating anyhow, but it was there....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1023412  
25th April 2012, 12:08 PM   |  #7  
Flag Arkansas

134 posts
More
In that first pic, it looks like there's a different plastic shell on the front side. I see it now though. Sorry 'bout that.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread