[Q] HTC Vivid on Tmobile 3G/4G?

Tip us?

dante58
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] HTC Vivid on Tmobile 3G/4G?

Hi all,

I was wondering whether there would be any way to flash a custom modem or a ROM that would unlock the LTE bands so that the Vivid can access HSPA on Tmobile's network?

From what Ive read, the AT&T GS2 Skyrocket and the AT&T Galaxy Note have been unlocked through this method and Im not sure why the Vivid cant be since it shares much of the same specs between it and the Skyrocket & G-Note

Thanks

doktor buknasty
Old
Thanks Meter 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dante58 View Post
Hi all,

I was wondering whether there would be any way to flash a custom modem or a ROM that would unlock the LTE bands so that the Vivid can access HSPA on Tmobile's network?

From what Ive read, the AT&T GS2 Skyrocket and the AT&T Galaxy Note have been unlocked through this method and Im not sure why the Vivid cant be since it shares much of the same specs between it and the Skyrocket & G-Note

Thanks
No that isn't possible, tmobile and att have different bands. I know that you could use a sim card on the vivid, but you wouldn't get the same speed.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium
Current: HTC Vivid (White)
Rom: Stock

Previous
Inspire 4G
Rom: Bindroid

strose09
Old
Thanks Meter 38
IIRC you can use a T-Mobile phone on ATT and get 2G but can't use ATT on TMO.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using XDA

twolves14
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by doktor buknasty View Post
No that isn't possible, tmobile and att have different bands. I know that you could use a sim card on the vivid, but you wouldn't get the same speed.

The LTE band can be used on Tmobile to get 4G download speeds. As visible here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1507825

OP is asking if this is possible for the Vivid, need a Tmobile radio to flash. Would be great if someone could work on it.
[CM9 ICS 4.0.1]
Samsung Galaxy S III T999 [AOSP LiquidSmooth 4.2.2]
Samsung Galaxy S II i777 [4.1.1 AOKP Build]
Google Nexus One [MiUi 2.2.10] <3
Nokia 5310 XpressMusic

id10terrordfw
Old
Thanks Meter 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by twolves14 View Post

OP is asking if this is possible for the Vivid, need a Tmobile radio to flash. Would be great if someone could work on it.
No. The LTE Band will never work on T-Mobile's GSM. What allows the Note and Skyrocket to work is that they have the pentaband hardware GSM modem and flashing a different software modem enables access to those frequencies on GSM.

Current: T-Mo Note 3

Aus_Azn
Old
Thanks Meter 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dante58 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by twolves14 View Post

Uh yeah, it's going to be hard to get the LTE bands on the LTE radio on the phone to pick up UMTS/HSPA signal.

There's a reason why phones are usually advertised like:

GSM/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz
UMTS/HSPA 850/1900/2100MHz
LTE AWS700MHz

They kiiiinda aren't interoperable. Note how you can't connect to UMTS 900MHz or use a Telstra LTE phone and get 1800MHz 2G service if the phone doesn't have that band in its 2G spectrum.

I remember reading about the pentaband radios having UMTS/HSPA 850/900/1700/1900/2100MHz. That's still pretty different than your standard quad-band GSM radio.
Goodbye XDA, you won't be missed. Never have I seen a lousier Android community unwilling to take care of its devs.

Also, give me a refund for my XDA Premium app.

RavenII
Old
Thanks Meter 26
It is absolutely possible...given that the specs on GSM Arena and Phonescoop are right...

700 MHz Class 17, 1700/2100 MHz

It has the correct pair for Tmobile.

The only thing is whether or not you can flash the radio with a Tmobile equivalent (Amaze?) radio.

What happened to all the hardware hackers on this forum? It seems as if no one knows ANYthing about the interworkings of a network anymore.

Anyhow, the phone having the bands and knowing what to do with them are 2 different things. For example. Stereo FM 101.9 Mhz vs. HD(Digital)-FM 101.9...they're both on the same band/frequency but are utilized differently...

The signals are still transmitted on the same frequency, however the radio itself doesn't know how to decode/interpret the HD (Digital) signal...unless it is told how to do so.

The only place that this analogy differs is when it comes to actual comparison of FM receivers and Cellular phones. With FM receivers it actually requires a decoder to understand the digital signal being broadcasted...Cellular however just needs to be flashed and voila, you've got HSPA...

So. Yes. It is %100 possible.

id10terrordfw
Old
Thanks Meter 434
NO NO NO NO.
LTE bands do NOT equal GSM. Not going to happen. They are physically different receivers for lack of a better phrase. There is no way to do this without physically changing hardware. Also, you realize T-Mobile's "1700" frequency does not actually mean 1700 on the dot. They use a different subset of actual radio bands than AT&T's 1700 LTE. As in 1721-1727 or some such vs 1781-1793 or something. I don't know the actual frequencies, but you get the drift.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

RavenII
Old
(Last edited by RavenII; 8th May 2012 at 08:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 26
It is absolutely possible. No question about it.

id10terrordfw
Old
Thanks Meter 434
Then do it. For one, there is no compatible modem to flash. Two, it isn't possible.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App