Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Closed

OUTDATED[Guide] Setting up/using adb/fastboot-unlock, flash custom recovery & root

OP okantomi

24th April 2012, 02:38 PM   |  #311  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 715

3,019 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicTracks

I have rooted my Xoom to use Root Explorer. I want to know what I need to do in order to don't have problems when update.

Thanks!

Sent from my Xoom ICS 4.0.4 using Tapatalk 2

If you are rooted you cannot accept OTA updates without major problems. My suggestion is to either flash a ROM (there are stock ROMs as well as custom ROMs available) and keep updated that way, as I do, or you can go back to 100% stock unrooted and then you should be able to accept OTA updates.
24th April 2012, 06:34 PM   |  #312  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Can somebody explain to me why i'm still cannot access super user eventhough i already follow the instruction for rooting my xoom mz601.
When i'm trying to access application for example root explorer it says "unfortunately, super user has stopped"
Can somebody help me please
Thanks
25th April 2012, 07:56 AM   |  #313  
Flag Northern Calif.
Thanks Meter: 20

94 posts
More
I'm stuck.

After Fastboot reboot and entering Android Recovery its getting stuck at Reading ODM fuse: 1.

Tried a few possible fixes I found on Google for it but always get the same results.

I either end up with the fuse message or the green robot with exclamation.

This is a stock US WiFi Xoom running ICS 4.0.4 never rooted but I've accepted all OTA updates.

Also got the little robot with exclamation a few times after getting stuck at this part.

Been trying to figure out how to get around this for about 2 hrs but I give up for the night. (Still working on it)

I eagerly await some advice. Thank You

Update:
Got one step closer using recovery-Tiamat-R4c-100611-1150-cwm and renaming it recovery.img but now when I try to install the Universal Root .zip it gets aborted . (bad)

Redownloaded the Universal Root and I think its finally rooted. Superuser is installed.

This is I still get the Fuse message right before it goes into the recovery but its somehow getting there. Wish I could get rid of that message.

Unlocked, rooted just need to rid my tablet of the annoying fuse message. If anyone knows the cause of it let me know.

From what I've read the Fuse message is just part of the verbose menu and 1 means recovery. Its not hanging up before CWM so its good.

Thanks again for the tutorial. Took a little trial and error to find what worked best for my Xoom but in the end got it all set up with Root and ROM like I wanted.

Thanks!
Last edited by rootmepls; 25th April 2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: solved
25th April 2012, 08:52 AM   |  #314  
Flag Niterói, RJ
Thanks Meter: 2

35 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by okantomi

If you are rooted you cannot accept OTA updates without major problems. My suggestion is to either flash a ROM (there are stock ROMs as well as custom ROMs available) and keep updated that way, as I do, or you can go back to 100% stock unrooted and then you should be able to accept OTA updates.

I just used the root to install the Asus Transformer Prime weather widget and I don't want to have problems of compatibility and stability, so I want to keep the OTA updates. If I reinstall the 3.0.1 US ROM using fastboot, will my device be completely stock again or I need to make something else to remove CWM and unroot?

25th April 2012, 03:30 PM   |  #315  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston, MA

3,019 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicTracks

I just used the root to install the Asus Transformer Prime weather widget and I don't want to have problems of compatibility and stability, so I want to keep the OTA updates. If I reinstall the 3.0.1 US ROM using fastboot, will my device be completely stock again or I need to make something else to remove CWM and unroot?

If you flash the stock files for your device, it will unroot you completely. It will also wipe your Xoom completely. I hope you have a way to save your weather widget.
The Following User Says Thank You to okantomi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th April 2012, 11:44 PM   |  #316  
Flag Niterói, RJ
Thanks Meter: 2

35 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by okantomi

If you flash the stock files for your device, it will unroot you completely. It will also wipe your Xoom completely. I hope you have a way to save your weather widget.

I just need access to the system folder to paste the APK. Do you know how to make it or back it up and restore without root access?

26th April 2012, 01:26 AM   |  #317  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston, MA

3,019 posts
More
No, I don't. Why not search first, then ask question in Q&A?
4th May 2012, 04:06 AM   |  #318  
Thanks Meter: 19

203 posts
This helped me, thanks.
6th May 2012, 04:52 PM   |  #319  
Thanks Meter: 176

754 posts
More
great guide thanks, perfect!!

i used the adb zip pack method rather than installing all the sdk kit which is a waste of time
6th May 2012, 06:10 PM   |  #320  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston, MA

3,019 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mox123

great guide thanks, perfect!!

i used the adb zip pack method rather than installing all the sdk kit which is a waste of time

I'm really glad it worked for you!

If you post a link to the adb zip pack, I will update the OP to include that. It's a bit of work to keep this up to date, but I think it's worth it.

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adb, tiamat recovery, universal xoom root
Previous Thread Next Thread