[N2E][1.1] TouchNooter 2.1.31

25th April 2012, 10:55 PM   |  #301  
Thanks Meter: 0

40 posts
problem rooting with touchnooter 2.1.31
I seem to be having much difficulty in rooting my nook simple touch using 2.1.31. All seems to go well until I wait for the black flashing, but it never happens. I've waited a hour, then restarted the Nook and it indicates it is starting but nothing happens. Eventually I restored the software using n2t-recovery. At first I thought perhaps my original version was incorrect for 2.1.31, so I updated to 1.1.2, and tried again - same thing happens. I get the initial rooting screen, wait for the black flash, and it never happens - back to n2t-recovery. What am I doing wrong? And any suggetions about how to proceed?
26th April 2012, 12:52 AM   |  #302  
Thanks Meter: 27

165 posts
I recently bought a NST, upgraded it to 1.1.2, used TouchNooter and got it to work. Here's how it worked for me.

I prepared the SD card according to the OP, and put it in the NST. The TouchNooter screen came up, never flashed black, never did anything. I shut the Nook down, took out the SD card, and rebooted. I got the opening screen, but it wouldn't do any more. Not knowing what to do, I pushed the N button. It finished booting. Once I unlocked the screen, I had the choice of ADW or home. I tried to sign in with YouTube. Got the 401 error. Tried opening Market. It instantly crashed, I couldn't even accept the terms and conditions. But Gmail worked.

Then, I powered down and reapplied TouchNooter. I got the flashing black screen almost immediately. Then, I was able to sign into Market before it crashed. It was now a matter of waiting for Market to awaken. It did the next day. Now everything works, but my settings say I'm running 1.1.

Sent from my NookColor using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to Windsor1959 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th April 2012, 11:48 PM   |  #303  

40 posts
Windsor1959
Thanks for the help! I used the tn2.1.31 a second time (see below), and the black flashed after about 30 sec. Tried the market and it connected for a few seconds, then crashed. I'll try again tomorrow.

I may still may have a problem though: I had done a number of rooting attempts, and finally used the older touchnooter and it worked. I was able to access the market but when I tried to install an ap from a non-market source, it was blocked.

On the internet I read that there is a app called nookcolor tools that should be installed during rooting, and is used to fix this problem BUT that app apparently is not installed, so I tried again with tn2.1.31. The first time it never flashed but on the second try it behaved as you found. However, there is still no nookcolor tools app installed, and I don't know how to get non-market apps to work.

Have you had a problem such as this, and if so, how to fix it?

---
ADDED THIS EVENING: I found nookcolor tools, unchecked, then rechecked it; will see if the marker works tomorrow.
Last edited by bobcdy; 27th April 2012 at 02:47 AM.
27th April 2012, 03:00 AM   |  #304  
Thanks Meter: 27

165 posts
I was just about to ask you if you had ADW launcher on your NST, so that you could find Nook Color Tools. But it seems that you found it! It might take up to a day for Market to work. Good luck!

Sent from my NookColor using xda premium
27th April 2012, 09:11 PM   |  #305  

40 posts
Can't get into unrooted nook
Help! Everything was going so well, until I check the 'home' option on boot screen where 'home' and 'adw launcher' resides. I was experimenting with various things, and apparently this was the wrong thing to do because now I can't get to the adw launcher. Thus I'm locked into the unrooted Nook without access to the rooted change. What can I do to access the launcher? I've tried rebooting but this doesn't help! Do I have to start over and reinstall the root?? If so, why on earth does the rooting give an option to permanently lock into the unrooted B&N nook???
27th April 2012, 11:31 PM   |  #306  
Thanks Meter: 138

479 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy

Help! Everything was going so well, until I check the 'home' option on boot screen where 'home' and 'adw launcher' resides. I was experimenting with various things, and apparently this was the wrong thing to do because now I can't get to the adw launcher. Thus I'm locked into the unrooted Nook without access to the rooted change. What can I do to access the launcher? I've tried rebooting but this doesn't help! Do I have to start over and reinstall the root?? If so, why on earth does the rooting give an option to permanently lock into the unrooted B&N nook???

Don't panic:

1. When you power cycle the device, it should let you get back to ADW on first boot.
2. If you did not get rid of Button Savior (the itty bitty button at the right of your screen) you can click the Home icon there.
3. Depending on how you set up ADW, you might be able to press and hold the 'n' button until the recent menu appears. If enabled, there will be a home button there.

The reason "rooting did this" is that you told it to. Options mean something. Especially when you've rooted!
28th April 2012, 05:30 AM   |  #307  

40 posts
Thanks for the info. Actually though I'm not sure if I know what a 'power cycle' is. I searched for it on google, and it seems it might be a hard reset by powering on/off for 8 times? If so, won't this destroy the rooting?

I checked on xda and found that it did not reset everything so I tried the power cycle for 8 times, but the result was no change - still locked into the unrooted Nook ST. Also, you mention the 'N' on the Nook but it is not visible - I looked at the user manual and found no reference to it.

I'll probably do one more power cycle, and then I'll go ahead and to a hard restore/deregister, and re-register it, then do another rooting. I still question why there should be any possibility of such an option - when I check the box on 'home'; if someone wanted to lock it into the unrooted state, & if he/she knew enough to root it in the first place, then it seems the proper way to lock into an unrooted state is the simply restore it to it's state before the rooting. Otherwise, as with most critical steps in programs such as this, there is clear warning repeated twice to be sure no irrevocable mistakes happen.
Last edited by bobcdy; 28th April 2012 at 06:00 AM.
29th April 2012, 04:24 AM   |  #308  

40 posts
apology
I'd like to apologize to Gabrial Destruir and others who developed the excellent TN2.1.31 for my belief that there was some defect in the initial screen checkbox for home. After re-rooting it, and looked more closely and I found that my problem seemed to result from corruption of something in the root, probably because I didn't properly install it.

I'd had difficulties in re-rooting though and never got the flashing screen - the best I could get was a completely black screen that never finished opening. I tried re-rooting 3 times and never succeeded with the black flash, but starting it using a usb connection seemed to work, and the root seems ok. Everything seems to work fine, except there is no video on the you tube app.
29th April 2012, 10:24 AM   |  #309  
OP Senior Member
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 508

637 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy

I'd like to apologize to Gabrial Destruir and others who developed the excellent TN2.1.31 for my belief that there was some defect in the initial screen checkbox for home. After re-rooting it, and looked more closely and I found that my problem seemed to result from corruption of something in the root, probably because I didn't properly install it.

I'd had difficulties in re-rooting though and never got the flashing screen - the best I could get was a completely black screen that never finished opening. I tried re-rooting 3 times and never succeeded with the black flash, but starting it using a usb connection seemed to work, and the root seems ok. Everything seems to work fine, except there is no video on the you tube app.

What I'm understanding is that when you root the screen goes black?
If so this is what I meant by "flashes to black". What happens when the screen goes black is instead of completely flashing to the next "page" which would be the nook loading with the three dots, it's turning off the device, meaning that root is done.

As for the lack of video on the youtube app, I'm not sure about you, but videos seem pointless without sound, and the e-ink probably couldn't quite keep up, the only real purpose for it being there is so that you can sign in for market.
The Following User Says Thank You to GabrialDestruir For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th April 2012, 08:12 PM   |  #310  

40 posts
Thanks for the feedback. I was worried that not flashing black meant dire things happened, but I'm now relieved to find that all should be ok - I'm installing various apps and rearranging my home screen, and all indeed seem to work perfectly! Thanks for the great root pgm. I agree about the you tube videos; they seem absolutely useless without color, sound, and large screen.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread