Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,603 Members 41,406 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[SEARCH] SOSA HQ + Dev Search! (Pix - 4/21/12)

Tip us?

mingolianbeef
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1127
EVERYONE. CHILL THE. F*-* out.!!!!! The argument is over, done, don't respond to each others stuff or anything, I refuse to have the thread locked. I need help and this thread has made progress so we aren't gonna clog up the forums with useless BS that doesn't contribute. let it go and be done I'm going to bed now and this ish is over, CUT IT OUT.!!!! >

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA
Mingo Allen II

News Writer

AndroidSPIN.com

Email: ognimnella@gmail.com
Google Talk: ognimnella@gmail.com
Twitter: @MingoAllenII

Need a review done for your App? Email me. (Do NOT PM me)

Mytouch 3G Slide > Kyocera Echo > HTC Evo 3D > Samsung Nexus S 4G > LG Optimus G (Backup) > Samsung Galaxy S4 (Current)
The Following User Says Thank You to mingolianbeef For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

freeza
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 9486

DONATE TO ME
Great idea, but what will it bring to the table that other AOSP initiatives haven't? I'm sure you're not aiming to actually make things work that the half a dozen other AOSP ROMs don't; such as 4G,3D,Camera, are you?

mingolianbeef
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeza View Post
Great idea, but what will it bring to the table that other AOSP initiatives haven't? I'm sure you're not aiming to actually make things work that the half a dozen other AOSP ROMs don't; such as 4G,3D,Camera, are you?
Um 4G and 3D not gonna happen. Once I get a little more experience camera mods will come with time. Who knows what may happen lol. I just wanna give back to a community that gave so much to Me is all

Sent from my HTC Evo 3D using XDA
Mingo Allen II

News Writer

AndroidSPIN.com

Mytouch 3G Slide > Kyocera Echo > HTC Evo 3D > Samsung Nexus S 4G > LG Optimus G (Backup) > Samsung Galaxy S4 (Current)

closeone
Old
Thanks Meter 1463

DONATE TO ME
I don't want to fan the flames, so I'll try to give a few links where some of these tools are.

Moderator and Team d3rp member, pstevep has a wonderful thread in the theming section of the EVO 3D forums. It contains links to many great utilities.

Specifically, take a look at Papa Smurf151's [Dev Tools] Everything Android.

dsixda's Android Kitchen is here.

kdiff3 is located here.

apktool

APK Manager 4.9

Unofficial APK Manager 5.0

myn, I just want to say thanks, you might see my post a page or two back that basically said 'never mind.' Your post made me feel a lot better. ognimnella contacted me, and I am still going to personally see what I can do.

freeza, now, I can't (or probably shouldn't) speak for ognimnella, but I believe that the whole idea behind this is to learn. It may not bring anything new to the table, but it will allow some people to start learning how the OS functions on a lower level.

~co~

I am happy to help whenever I can.
If I make a mistake, I do sincerely apologize.

If I have helped you, let me know! It means a lot, and I love to hear it.

EVO 3D: HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit // Ultimate Recovery Tool[BOX] Live CD (Available in Post #3)
EVO 4G LTE: UR/EVO 4G LTE - A light Sense ROM with some small, unique twists.

.Elite_The_King.
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by myn View Post
It's great to see lots of folks wanting to learn and get their hands dirty

What will fuel you is the passion. You'll fail 20x before you have 1 success but the passion will keep you going. You may laugh but it's the truth.

There is really little documentation out there. Developing in an open group really facilitates the collaboration and sharing and will expedite your learning. That's for sure.

Here is what I would recommend.
  • Read and re-read every thread in the apktool, apkmanager main threads
  • Experiment, experiment, experiment. Don't be afraid to fail. Back to my comment about failing 20x before 1 success. Don't give up.
  • If you're doing a sense only ROM (non-AOSP), you really don't need Linux. Many/most of the necessary tools are available in Windows. (Notepad++, apktool, apkmanager, kdiff3, baksmali/smali, dex2jar, jd-gui, Eclipse, Android Kitchen)
  • KDIFF3 is your best friend for reverse engineering mods after you've decompiled to smali and can compare complete directories
  • On a team, source control is essential, you won't be able to work in a team setting without it. code.google.com and github.com both offer free hosting of your code as long as its open source.
  • Use one form of chat collaboration (IRC, Google Talk, whatever). Decide on this medium as soon as the team is formed. Again, really need this in a team setting.
  • Reach out to the community of devs. I haven't yet talked to a single dev on this forum that didn't want to lend a hand or answer a question given you've tried and failed many times. Just be sure to describe exactly what you're goal is and what you've tried thus far.

Smali is ugly to read and even more ugly to write. It's an intermediate language not designed to be actually written. Once you've decompiled an APK with apktool or baksmali use dex2jar to translate the dex to a .jar file. The use JD-GUI to view the translated native Java source. This will be much much easier to read then smali.

Now when writing smali, some do it by hand natively which is fine for simple changes like alpha transparency on a layout. But when you're making a major modification to the functionality. Cheat Here is how I have done it in the past. Take the decompiled class output which is in JD-GUI and copy it into a new Android project (Eclipse). Typically I only copy over the method I am altering since it will have few less dependencies then the entire class. Then write the modification around the existing code and compile a brand new APK.

Then decompile your new APK and copy the smali output in the method back into APK you want the mod in. This method allows you to write native code (Java) without having to mess with intermediate smali output.
Hell yeah I was stuck read this damn im back at it again great info thanks myn appreciated a lot.

Sent from my powered Shooter E3D with Infection of AnthraX Jamz by wolf.

notsointeresting
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 1931

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognimnella View Post
Agreed, smali is a pain buts its pretty much the heart of the app itself. And once we get a real stable rom out there, we will need to set up communication routes (Gmail, gtalk, numbers, etc.) Amongst one another. I think for now though gtalk an email is fine, doesn't require much and is very easy to keep in touch with it. Thx for support ppl

Not interested in applying for this team, but I am looking forward to seeing where you guys go.

As for how you guys should communicate I have to pressure you guys to use Google+ Messenger. In the couple of teams i've been apart of I have always used Google+ Messenger for continuous Day&Night group chats and it works perfectly.

Follow me on Google+
Follow me on Twitter

mingolianbeef
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsointeresting View Post
Not interested in applying for this team, but I am looking forward to seeing where you guys go.

As for how you guys should communicate I have to pressure you guys to use Google+ Messenger. In the couple of teams i've been apart of I have always used Google+ Messenger for continuous Day&Night group chats and it works perfectly.
Will look into it

Sent from my HTC Evo 3D using XDA
Mingo Allen II

News Writer

AndroidSPIN.com

mike.r.olson
Old
Thanks Meter 225
Best of luck guys! It's great to have another hungry dev team showing the shooter some love and interest!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
deejaymikey on IRC

myn
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4002

DONATE TO ME
Just doing a quick progress check?

How you guys doing?

mingolianbeef
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by myn View Post
Just doing a quick progress check?

How you guys doing?
Some setbacks dude (I love warm roms btw lol)... One had to get a replacement, my digitizer broke on the old one. 2: school is amped up with final exams coming up (yeeaaaah #teamhighschool like joelZ lol). But I have all of the themng guides from that thread in the 3vo dev section PDF converted and printed so I can reading it over the hand outs my teachers give me while they teach. And I talked to a couple dudes via gtalk and we all are learners. The projects are still on. My biggest goal right now is implementing the ics multitasking into the gb code and for it to be functional. Biiiiig goal of mine .! Might be a pipe dream but its worth the try.! I still need guys to help but its no rush. School Is the priority. I'm also reading up on Java and XML stuff. Its a lot on the plate of devs in training basically lol. But thx for asking.

Mingo Allen II

News Writer

AndroidSPIN.com