Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Car Mount

OP Jeff1192

26th April 2012, 02:31 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 1

67 posts
More
Now that I`m getting my dongle I`m wondering if anyone out there has tried a car mount for their Prime. With the large screen and now functional GPS this would make a phenomenal in car GPS unit. My only concern would be damaging the Prime due to a bracket not supporting it properly causing it to fall. Anyone`s experience would be appreciated.

Jeff
26th April 2012, 03:28 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 90

487 posts
More
+1

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app
26th April 2012, 03:37 AM   |  #3  
Flag Sterling, VA.
Thanks Meter: 26

217 posts
More
I have this one from Arkon, and love it. The extension arm rests on my dash, and the suction cup is relatively low on the window. I have never experienced any problems with the Prime falling out, or the whole mount falling down, because since the arm rests on the dash, there is minimal weight applied to the suction cup.

http://www.arkon.com/tablet-accessor...eld-mount.html

Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to robertg9 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th April 2012, 10:19 PM   |  #4  
Flag SoCal
Thanks Meter: 733

2,777 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg9

I have this one from Arkon, and love it. The extension arm rests on my dash, and the suction cup is relatively low on the window. I have never experienced any problems with the Prime falling out, or the whole mount falling down, because since the arm rests on the dash, there is minimal weight applied to the suction cup.

Bob

Got that same one but from Amazon. Only $30 w/ my Prime.

Also picked this one up for my little boy and my backseat passengers lol

http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Tablet-H...5471406&sr=8-2
29th April 2012, 07:34 AM   |  #5  
Flag Allentown, Pa
Thanks Meter: 10

59 posts
More
I bought this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arkon-TAB178...#ht_816wt_1163 one from Arkon. Love the sticky pad it has. Same sticky pad that is on the mount for my HTC phone. Same sticky material that the whacky wall walkers had in the 80s. sticks to ANYTHING. Still waiting for it to come in .... was very hard to find on ebay, its the only one of its kind that i found after days of searching for a non piece of crap.
29th April 2012, 01:06 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

25 posts
Question GPS dongle ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg9

Bob

How about adding the GPS dongle ?
29th April 2012, 01:58 PM   |  #7  
Flag Sterling, VA.

217 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeT

How about adding the GPS dongle ?

I haven't got my dongle yet, but the tabs that hold the Prime are adjustable, so I'm guessing that they can spread far enough apart for the dongle to fit.

If someone can measure the length of the dongle, I can measure it.

Bob
29th April 2012, 04:04 PM   |  #8  
OP Member
Flag Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 1

67 posts
More
I just measured my dongle.....man that just doesn`t sound right. Anyways it`s 7 1/8 inch wide. Can you let me know if this would fit with your mount. I`ve looked at tons of mounts and yours seems to be one of the better solutions right now.

Thanks

Jeff
29th April 2012, 08:51 PM   |  #9  
Flag Sterling, VA.

217 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1192

I just measured my dongle.....man that just doesn`t sound right. Anyways it`s 7 1/8 inch wide. Can you let me know if this would fit with your mount. I`ve looked at tons of mounts and yours seems to be one of the better solutions right now.

Thanks

Jeff

Well, the spread on the mount tabs only gives about 4" of clearance. BUT, in reality, you only need one tab on the top holding it. Attached is a pic of the keyboard (since I'm using the TP for the pic and it shows the edge of the dongle area) and the keyboard still holds solidly in there. Also notice my mounting. The extension arm (adjustable) rests on the dash, so, with the tablet supplying a downward weight, the suction cup would be "pushed" into the window so it's not like phone/gps attachments where everything tends to pull it off the window, the TP is actually doing the opposite.

The tabs are spring-loaded, so in order to insert the TP between the tabs, you would insert the top of the TP, push upward, then slide the bottom in.
I can't really tell you the force required, but it's definitely not minimal.

I think that the TP, in the mount, would stay in position even in a front or rear end collision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dock mounted as Tablet.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	1031287  
1st May 2012, 03:47 AM   |  #10  
Under Your Skin
Thanks Meter: 272

1,216 posts
I made one search my user name & you will find photos here

Here you go http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1444199
Last edited by Lock-N-Load; 1st May 2012 at 03:49 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread