Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,675 Members 46,182 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Milestone highest SD Class I can go with

Tip us?

CeBits
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Default [Q] Milestone highest SD Class I can go with

I know it has been asked a lot in the past, but searching didn't provide Milestone specific answer.

So If I buy Class 6 or Class 10, will the milestone be able to utilize the full write speed? I am running Cyanogenmod 7 RC0 (latest). At the moment I have 8GB class 4 Apacer microSD and tbh its a terrible card. All I get is 2.5 mb/s write on large files, but I am getting the same speed when the card is in card reader too so its not phone issue.

Thanks.

extrem0
Old
Thanks Meter 290
Maybe I'm wrong, but what I know is that the card class is the limit. It doesn't mean it will read/write at full speed all the time.
How are you testing your speeds?
Maybe SD Speed Increase help you.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...3JlYXNlLml0Il0.

I don't know how to test my speeds, but were getting 24mb/s read and 8mb/s write speeds in SD Tools ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...suc2R0b29scyJd ). I'm using a Samsung 16gb Class2. I think the app is not calculating very well. Don't know.

CeBits
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
I am using the SD card as USB mass storage instead of carrying separate thumb drive. I transfer a lot of large 1+ GB files.

I tried SD Speed increase last week and it does make a difference on smaller files, but when copying 2GB files it seems to start fast (like a burst mode), but if timed it takes exactly the same time to write something on the card.

I am going to change my 8GB card for 16GB today anyway I just wondered if class 10 is worth getting or should I get class 6 and save some money. Whatever I buy I will report back and test the speed.

CeBits
Old
(Last edited by CeBits; 25th April 2012 at 11:00 AM.) Reason: adding info
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
I went ahead and bought Patriot LX 16 GB class 10 microSD. Now I get variable speeds from 3.5 mb/s to 8 mb/s depending on the file sizes. As I read somewhere this is due to fact that the phone is using MTP protocol to act as mass storage device.

Anyway with the old card I was topping only 2.5 mb/s no matter the file size, so it's definitely an upgrade and since class 6 was only 5$ cheaper I saw no reason not to buy the faster one, even if the milestone can't utilize its full capability. In the end its an old phone and I believe there weren't any class 10 cards out in 2009 anyway.

And one more thing, the camcorder isnt lagging anymore when recording videos

EDIT: After booting in recovery and clearing dalvik and cache partition I am getting 9.5 + mb/s, but it does start around 4.5 mb/s and then rises to its full speed. Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to CeBits For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

maango
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Except for the improvements in video recording, is there anything else that runs smoother for you when using the phone?

extrem0
Old
Thanks Meter 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by maango View Post
Except for the improvements in video recording, is there anything else that runs smoother for you when using the phone?
I think everytime any app need to access your sd, it will be smoother, like gallery, taking photos, loading maps cached in sd, music apps indexing songs, etc. Accessing apps installed on sd card may be loaded faster too.

CeBits
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrem0 View Post
I think everytime any app need to access your sd, it will be smoother, like gallery, taking photos, loading maps cached in sd, music apps indexing songs, etc. Accessing apps installed on sd card may be loaded faster too.
Thats right. Gallery loads faster, applications and games moved to SD start up faster etc. Don't know about maps, but I suppose they cache faster too.

However the main difference is when copying stuff to phone in mass storage mode. Thats why I got a higher class card in first place. While all other stuff related to reading from SD do seem snappier, the difference is not all that great since even Class 2 cards can read with high speed, but when it comes to apps that are writing the difference is obvious.

Eiertschik
Old
Thanks Meter 67
I'm using a Samsung Essentials 32GB Class 10 Card.

Gave me some troubles at first, something with sector sizes seemed wrong - but after formatting it with this tool https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/ it worked.

Someone in these forums suggested the tools - search for the link to find the recommended settings.

maango
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Alright, thx for the answer. For someone not using the phone the same way as you, do you think it would be worth the money to get a faster card?

Sent from my Milestone using XDA

CeBits
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
The difference between class 6 and class 10 right now is only few bucks. I don't see why not. You never know, may come in handy.

Here check this out, less then 1$ difference in price.
16GB microSDHC CARD Class 6 - Transcend
16GB microSDHC CARD Class 10 - Transcend

I wouldn't go below class 6 since the camera is lagging when recording videos.