Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,355 Members 39,556 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung Focus S/2nd Gen ROMs etc...

Tip us?

ej_424
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27

DONATE TO ME
Default Samsung Focus S/2nd Gen ROMs etc...

To make a long story short I once had the HD7 which had many custom roms, then went back to android and now once again coming back to WP7 with the Focus S. Something about the fluidness of WP7 that brought me back .

Anyway I dont see anything on XDA or the interwebs in regards to custom roms and or theming this phone. Is there a good please to read up on what can be done with the Focus S from a customization perspective? I see you can interop unlock but no access to registery edit to actually make it worth while.

What is possible with this phone today?

Sorry if this should have been posted in general.

Thanks!

voluptuary
Old
Thanks Meter 743

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej_424 View Post
To make a long story short I once had the HD7 which had many custom roms, then went back to android and now once again coming back to WP7 with the Focus S. Something about the fluidness of WP7 that brought me back .

Anyway I dont see anything on XDA or the interwebs in regards to custom roms and or theming this phone. Is there a good please to read up on what can be done with the Focus S from a customization perspective? I see you can interop unlock but no access to registery edit to actually make it worth while.

What is possible with this phone today?

Sorry if this should have been posted in general.

Thanks!
I'm 99% sure Root Tools gives the Focus S registry access plus alot of other good things that you used to only be able to do with a custom ROM (it might depend on firmware version) as for custom ROM's though you are out of luck.
My contributions:
Clean ROM for Samsung Focus v1.3, Nokia Lumia 800, and HTC HD2
Samsung Interop Unlock & Internet Sharing All-In-One for Windows Phone
Samsung Custom Theme & Accent Colors for Windows Phone
List of Windows Phone Unlocks by Type/OEM

Allstars that donated: RonV42, dark.angel

CURRENT DEVICES: HTC HD2, Nokia Lumia 800, Nokia N9, Apple iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 920

Get a FREE 2GB Dropbox account plus we'll get a bonus 500MB!

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2677
Currently, there are no bootloader unlocked for gen2 devices (except for the Lumia 710 and some Lumia 800s) so no custom ROMs. WindowBreak works on the gen2 Samsung phones, but only if their firmware version isn't too new. Successfully applying WindowBreak will dev- and interop-unlock your phone. At that point, you can install WP7 Root Tools v0.9. Root Tools not only includes a registry and filesystem browser, it can also elevate other apps so they run as "root" with full permissions. You can use this with things like XapHandler, Bazaar, and a large number of tweak apps.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dmw_4814
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
Currently, there are no bootloader unlocked for gen2 devices (except for the Lumia 710 and some Lumia 800s) so no custom ROMs. WindowBreak works on the gen2 Samsung phones, but only if their firmware version isn't too new. Successfully applying WindowBreak will dev- and interop-unlock your phone. At that point, you can install WP7 Root Tools v0.9. Root Tools not only includes a registry and filesystem browser, it can also elevate other apps so they run as "root" with full permissions. You can use this with things like XapHandler, Bazaar, and a large number of tweak apps.
So, what you're saying is that by using WindowBreak, I can dev- and interop-unlock my Focus S without using my ChevronWP7 token, which I purchased but will no longer be available to me shortly (if it isn't already)?

Dennis

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2677
The ChevronWP7 Labs token will also work (for the next few months, at least), but it's dev-unlock only. You can also get a full AppHub account for free since you bought a Labs token.

WindowBreak uses the same hack as the Interop Unlock app for Samsung, but it doesn't require a dev-unlock first.

WP8 projects:
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

dmw_4814
Old
(Last edited by dmw_4814; 26th April 2012 at 05:07 AM.)
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
The ChevronWP7 Labs token will also work (for the next few months, at least), but it's dev-unlock only. You can also get a full AppHub account for free since you bought a Labs token.

WindowBreak uses the same hack as the Interop Unlock app for Samsung, but it doesn't require a dev-unlock first.
O.K., thanks! I have another question that I don't know if you'd know the answer to or not - is the ChevronWP7 token device specific? What I'm asking is, I purchased a token to unlock my Focus S, but I think there's something wrong with the USB connector on the phone (USB cable feels as if it's loose when plugged into the phone, and charging keeps getting interrupted if the phone or cable is bumped), and I'm wondering if my token will work on a DIFFERENT Samsung Focus S, should AT&T replace it for me.

Do you know if my token will unlock a replacement Focus S, or is it tied to my specific device ID?

By the way, I interop-unlocked my Focus S, too, after ChevronWP7 unlocking it.

Thanks,

Dennis

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2677
It's tied to your Live ID. I think you may need to use the same Live ID on the phone, but I'm not sure about that. I do suggest de-authorizing the current phone first if you send it in for repair.

That said, the most common cause of the USB problem you describe is just some lint or other junk in the microUSB port. Turn off the phone and remove the battery, then try using a pin or very skinny paperclip or something to see if you can extract anything that might be preventing the plug from locking in fully.

WP8 projects:
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:

64GUNSHIP
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw_4814 View Post
O.K., thanks! I have another question that I don't know if you'd know the answer to or not - is the ChevronWP7 token device specific? What I'm asking is, I purchased a token to unlock my Focus S, but I think there's something wrong with the USB connector on the phone (USB cable feels as if it's loose when plugged into the phone, and charging keeps getting interrupted if the phone or cable is bumped), and I'm wondering if my token will work on a DIFFERENT Samsung Focus S, should AT&T replace it for me.

Do you know if my token will unlock a replacement Focus S, or is it tied to my specific device ID?

By the way, I interop-unlocked my Focus S, too, after ChevronWP7 unlocking it.

Thanks,

Dennis
Replace your microUSB cable.. I had the same problem.

Sent from my LG-C900B using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
[B]LG Quantum -> Samsung Focus S i937 -> HTC 8X -> Nokia Lumia 920 White