Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,899 Members 48,809 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[UnBrick]TOTAL WIPE and reflash back to 1.4.0 via Ubuntu Recovery --Now Easier!!!!

Tip us?

raywaldo
Old
Thanks Meter 106

DONATE TO ME
Lightbulb Linux easiest way to do do tech stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jario View Post
i dont want to put linux on my laptop. i think i figured it out, it got it to say 14 GB so im not sure if thats right but close enough for now. How would i look at the partitions?
That is WHY he recommended you to run the CD. Linux is the best tool for seeing the partitions - and so many other technical stuff.
Running the Ubuntu CD will NOT install Linux on your computer (unless you choose to do so). It runs via your computer's hardware and the memory - not the hard drive. Amazingly, although it takes several minutes to boot up, it runs almost as fast (on the CD) as your Windows machine does when it is using your hard drive. It may make you WANT to install it (you can do dual boot).
The Following User Says Thank You to raywaldo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jario
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by raywaldo View Post
That is WHY he recommended you to run the CD. Linux is the best tool for seeing the partitions - and so many other technical stuff.
Running the Ubuntu CD will NOT install Linux on your computer (unless you choose to do so). It runs via your computer's hardware and the memory - not the hard drive. Amazingly, although it takes several minutes to boot up, it runs almost as fast (on the CD) as your Windows machine does when it is using your hard drive. It may make you WANT to install it (you can do dual boot).
lol ahhhh sorry didnt think about it, i feel dumb know . I have always wanted to use Linux but i just dont have to time to learn it. For anyone who is wondering I used Mini Tool Partition Wizard to delete the partition and reformat.

raywaldo
Old
Thanks Meter 106

DONATE TO ME
Smile partitioning tool

Quote:
lol ahhhh sorry didnt think about it, i feel dumb know . I have always wanted to use Linux but i just dont have to time to learn it. For anyone who is wondering I used Mini Tool Partition Wizard to delete the partition and reformat.
No problem. Glad you got it working! BTW, if that is a good tool, I will recommend it on another thread where the user is looking for a Windows tool.

Solar.Plexus
Old
Thanks Meter 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by raywaldo View Post
No problem. Glad you got it working! BTW, if that is a good tool, I will recommend it on another thread where the user is looking for a Windows tool.
Or check out my tutorial on how to view and edit all SD partitions with Windows:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1585572
R800x: Stock ROM, modified
NOOK Tablet 16GB: LiquidSmooth ROM
Eee Pad SL101 32GB White: need to get rid of
TF700T 64GB Champagne: also need to get rid of
TF701T 32GB Gray: Full Stock

PlacidCat
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Grab a live cd of Ubuntu and boot from the CD. If you know how to write an ISO to a disc, you are halfway there. Once you boot Ubuntu, I'll virtually guarantee you won't have to "learn" much. Windows users generally can get into it quickly. Not only that, but once you plug in a card reader, it's automatically mounted and you'll see the partitions. No sweat. You don't even need to touch a command prompt if all you want to do is look at the files.

Give yourself a bit more credit and try it out. I think you'll find it quite easy. Granted it sounds like you won't need it now. You might still want to play with it for fun, though!

raywaldo
Old
Thanks Meter 106

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up ubuntu linux as a tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlacidCat View Post
Grab a live cd of Ubuntu and boot from the CD. If you know how to write an ISO to a disc, you are halfway there. Once you boot Ubuntu, I'll virtually guarantee you won't have to "learn" much. Windows users generally can get into it quickly. Not only that, but once you plug in a card reader, it's automatically mounted and you'll see the partitions. No sweat. You don't even need to touch a command prompt if all you want to do is look at the files.

Give yourself a bit more credit and try it out. I think you'll find it quite easy. Granted it sounds like you won't need it now. You might still want to play with it for fun, though!
Could not agree more!

02dimas
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Post Nook Tablet 8Gb Ubuntu Recovery Card

It will still be great to have Ubuntu SD Recovery card for 8Gb Nooks.

As many people with 16Gb post, it works great while other tools not and it's so simple.

Hey people, nobody with 8Gb unit and UART here?)

sangahm
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlacidCat View Post
Did all that, but it wouldn't recognize my usb drive that I plugged in with the nook sd. It recognized the boot USB drive though, so not sure what's going on. Will have to play with it a little more.

I do like the ubuntu interface; a big improvement over the old kde i was familiar with many years ago.

raywaldo
Old
Thanks Meter 106

DONATE TO ME
Lightbulb Ubuntu to flash an SDCard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangahm View Post
Did all that, but it wouldn't recognize my usb drive that I plugged in with the nook sd. It recognized the boot USB drive though, so not sure what's going on. Will have to play with it a little more.

I do like the ubuntu interface; a big improvement over the old kde i was familiar with many years ago.
In Ubuntu, call up the GParted program and use it to re-partition the SDCard / USB drive.

rwischer
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I copied build.prop to my tablet from another Nook platform (yeah dumb) so I'm hoping this will allow me to boot and swap back to the old build.prop.

Does it have to be a blank SD card or can I use the one that I currently have in the Nook? The one I'm using is 32GB so it has more than enough space and I think its a class 4. So, I'm assuming that I can copy the image to the card and reboot from it even though it is used for other purposes.