Detect, Avoid IMSI-Catcher Attacks with Android IMSI-Catcher Detector

Privacy is always an important topic, as well as a delicate one to … more

Materialized LeanDroid Fights Your Poor Battery Life

Battery life has always been one of the biggest problems facing most Android devices. … more

Bump! Workaround for the LG G3 Locked Bootloader – XDA TV

The LG G3 is a power house device. It’s been a favorite of many people. … more

Enable Call Recording on Xperia Z2 and Z3

Call recording, while not legal in every part of the world, is quite handy in certain situations. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Guide?

OP obsanity

26th April 2012, 03:39 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 434

1,767 posts
A friend of mine has Droid 3 on Verizon. I'm want to know what I need to do to flash a recovery on it so I can backup and flash roms on it. I'm not sure if I need a custom bootloader for it aswell. I found this thread with recovery as a sticky but it doesn't have much explanations in it. I also see you guys don't have a sticky with a guide anywhere besides just the one click root.
Can anyone point me in a direction?
Thank you.
26th April 2012, 04:12 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 25

248 posts
More
On my phone so I can't give links. But you need safestrap. It's a bootstrap that will essentially allow your phone to boot into recovery even with the locked bootloader.

Safestrap is unique because it does not touch your primary system. You can back it up, but you flash everything to a "safe" system. It is ideal because no matter what you doing to your safe system, your primary will always be there. Even if you flash something that you know will brick your phone, all that will happen is that you won't be able to boot into your safe system. You can still load up your custom recovery and switch back to your primary system where you can download a different ROM.

Sent from my DROID3 using xda premium
26th April 2012, 09:38 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

1,767 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer621

On my phone so I can't give links. But you need safestrap. It's a bootstrap that will essentially allow your phone to boot into recovery even with the locked bootloader.

Safestrap is unique because it does not touch your primary system. You can back it up, but you flash everything to a "safe" system. It is ideal because no matter what you doing to your safe system, your primary will always be there. Even if you flash something that you know will brick your phone, all that will happen is that you won't be able to boot into your safe system. You can still load up your custom recovery and switch back to your primary system where you can download a different ROM.

Sent from my DROID3 using xda premium

So how do I install this safe strap and where do I get it. I assume this will also let me flash a custom recovery like CWM?
26th April 2012, 10:29 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 25

248 posts
More
Everything you need to know on installing safestrap can be found here

There are 2 versions. One is the standard version in the link, the other is a "tweaked" version found on the forums here. While the tweaked version has a few extra features, from what I've read, it can be a bit unstable. Use the version provided in the link.
26th April 2012, 11:17 PM   |  #5  
Flag maryland
Thanks Meter: 2

13 posts
More
Yeah what he said ^^^ then once u have the safestrap you just download the rom u want and flash it and your good to go

Sent from my XT883 using Tapatalk
8th May 2012, 02:05 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

1,767 posts
Ok. So far I can understand that the Moto Droid 3 has a locked boot loader which can not be unlocked. Correct?

I can understand using a bootstrap instead. Can someone explain what happens to your first system when the safe mode is turned on? Does it move the contents into the available internal SD card? What kind of memory is emmc? Also, I'm not clear on what is hijack. Is that just the initial hack from the apk on 1st system? I assume one can install it again in the 2nd system and mess things up.
8th May 2012, 03:36 AM   |  #7  
Flag Surrey
Thanks Meter: 314

1,457 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsanity

Ok. So far I can understand that the Moto Droid 3 has a locked boot loader which can not be unlocked. Correct?

I can understand using a bootstrap instead. Can someone explain what happens to your first system when the safe mode is turned on? Does it move the contents into the available internal SD card? What kind of memory is emmc? Also, I'm not clear on what is hijack. Is that just the initial hack from the apk on 1st system? I assume one can install it again in the 2nd system and mess things up.

The 1st system gets renamed to systemorig and is otherwise left untouched. /reinstall gets renamed to /system and becomes your safe mode system. Im not 100% on hijack but as I understand it, it quite literally hijacks the boot sequence at a certain point by killing all the processes and inserting its own in order to give us a custom recovery

Sent from my XT860 using xda premium
8th May 2012, 04:03 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

1,767 posts
OK. So why not just backup the original system and overwrite it? If the partition gets renamed why is there a need to keep it? Wouldn't deleting it give more room for roms? Is there even enough room for 2 partitions on the emmc?
8th May 2012, 05:30 AM   |  #9  
Flag Surrey
Thanks Meter: 314

1,457 posts
More
The whole idea was that you keep your original system intact so you can still receive OTA updates. I've never had an issue with not having enough room for roms. They are only about 150 MB.

Many of us actually use this to dual boot. The common way is to have a stable rom on your /systemorig and test new roms on safe system.

There is a plain old bootstrap that installs regular old cwr and just overwrites /system. Everything should be compatible with it. I think I have a copy of it in my dropbox

The main reason for using safestrap(in my view) is that when you're messing around in safemode its next to impossible to brick your phone so bad you can't access recovery, since when it first boots it still boots from /system, and then redirects to the safe system. You should never have to fastboot flash your phone

Sent from my XT860 using xda premium
8th May 2012, 12:11 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

1,767 posts
So can you dual boot? And how do you boot into your orig 1st system? Don't you have to toggle the safe mode each time? Also, how much total room is there on emmc on D3?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread